1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

An Interesting Approach to Landscapes...

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by SXH, Sep 20, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Interesting. His signature seems to be a lone figure staring into the distance. I like the shots, but as a document of the times and places, of course entirely fictitious.

Which is very much what I was talking about in the "Should you impose your style?" post above. Answer being of course if you're doing art, then fine, if you are doing documentary, then it has no value whatever.

You could get something very like those shots if you waited long enough, but time per shot would be impractical if you wanted to make a living at it.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I can't see anything of special interest in the picture. The article seems to be little more than a not very well done "puff".

Learning likes this.
  4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Another tediously pointless post from our resident troll. Goodbye.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Not impressed, but we have only seen one image.
    Though the result hardly seems worth all the time, effort and expense.
    But then I am not a director of Photographic Studies at Yale, going through a divorce.
    It seems context is everthing.

I am not seeing it.

Learning likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Terry, Terry. You've just proved that, like me, you're a troll. :confused: :D

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  7. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I think they have merit.... it certainly shows forgotten America and displays a certain poignancy. You would not call it landscape although it could be art/documentary and definitely shows feelings of loss, abandonment, loneliness and depression, I am talking about by his bodies of work/ style not just the one picture.

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It seem to me we see plenty of excellent, Genuine, real life images of American industrial dereliction and post industrial life.
    I can not see how staging such things brings truth, or anything more, or new, to the table.
    All we are seeing is a tableau.

Learning likes this.
  9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I think my opinion is somewhere in the middle.
    Yes, he is imposing his style and creating somewhat artificial pictures but what he is doing is, as the Observer piece says, concentrating on something that is already the main feature of any pic of that area.
    Something done in the past by artists like Hogarth?
    That being said, one wonders if the time (and money) expended is greater than just, as RM mentioned, just waiting for the right conditions.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

To be fair, many pictures of that nature are, to some extent, setups. On the other hand, there are setups and setups. Photographers like Dorothea Lange and Margaret Bourke-White planned their pictures but I think they did so to inform. Quite different to this stuff.

Learning likes this.
  11. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Just waiting for the right conditions would be merely documentary (and I don’t mean that in a disparaging way) he has actually dressed the scene to give it his interpretation of the situation. Whereas Dorothea Lange took it as was in purely documentary form.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  12. Andrew Flannigan

In some cases, I'm sure she did. In others, she appears to have manipulated things to re-inforce the point she wished to make.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You can see more of his work on his site (liked from the article).

I quite like them. I don't think he's claiming they're anything other than engineered, but as pieces of art I find some of them very compelling with a strong emotional theme.

I particularly like this one

[​IMG]

Which is super small here, you can see a larger version on his site but you can't link directly to it (that I can find).

It's the second image on the main site - https://gagosian.com/artists/gregory-crewdson/

RovingMike likes this.
  14. RovingMike

Well, no she didn't, she directed her subjects to do what she wanted. The Migrant Mother took a lot of tries to get an emotion that was simply not there.

15. RovingMike

It is very definitely not trolling. It simply says more about him and his comprehension than it does about the photography. Read it as self-criticism.

16. EightBitTony

To be fair, she took multiple exposures and picked the one which she felt told the story she was being paid to tell?

Also, not a great story for the woman in the photograph either.

https://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2009/04/22/migrant-mother/

17. Andrew Flannigan

Oh you shining beacon of kindness and friendship! I do appreciate your support and... ummmm. :D

RovingMike likes this.
  18. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I appreciate what you are both saying but Crewdsons approach was totally different in that the whole thing was set up to interpret exactly what he wanted to interpret it as and not merely a few dressings or poses. I think she took 5 shots and was out in 15 minutes. Crewdson could take weeks and involve dozens of helpers.

19. EightBitTony

Yep, but that doesn't lessen his image, it just makes it different.

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I know it doesn’t, I actually like quite a lot of his work. I first saw it a few years ago at the photographers gallery.

EightBitTony likes this.