1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Amazon scam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Are you getting calls from Amazon about renewing your PRIME account, they are a SCAM.

Here is a chat I had with Amazon,

I have never ever fallen for a scam my whole life

"I keep getting calls from Amazon" saying I will be charged £35 to renew my Amazon Prime Prim and others £70 for Prime, press 1 to if you wish to cancel Amazon Prime."

(dial 1471) the number is often 01872 094 173 is this REALLY Amazon or a scam
    10:24 AM

Duane | Customer Service
    Please do not respond to these calls.
    D10:25 AM

I have had at least 10 recorded messages this week
    10:25 AM

Duane | Customer Service
    They are spam and fraudsters.
    I will send you the email to explain the details
    D10:26 AM

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

We just get callers claiming to be from Spark ( A local ISP). We don't have an account with Spark...

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Search "scamming scammers". There's some really interesting links to folk getting their own back on scammers.

Zou likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

We get such calls regularly, there are several things you can do.
    1. For these particular calls, Log on to Amazon and look at the top right of the page next to the basket symbol. If it says Try Prime, you don't have a Prime account. If you do have a Prime account it will say My Prime.
    2. Report ALL scam calls, dial 1471 and note the callers number then go to https://who-called.co.uk/ and enter the number this will then show if, and how often, the number has been associated with scam calls.
    3. Join the Telephone Preference Service https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/#
    4. Write to your MP, if we all did this cold calling could become a thing of the past. The law needs to be changed, in a number of ways, to protect consumers and legitimate businesses.
    5. Remember No Bank or Building Society will call and ask for your account number, they know it already. They will NEVER ask for your PIN. HMRC don't ask you to claim a tax refund by email, in my experience they send a cheque!
    6. Any legitimate caller will be happy for you to call back on a published number, if you aren't happy tell the caller you will call back, DO NOT ask them for a phone number, look it up.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The "best" is the one claiming to be from "your bank" about a payment you are trying to make of £600. "Your bank" (as they never reveal which bank) wants you to return the call so it can all be cleared up....

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I have joined the TPS, it doesn't stop calls from robots, overseas call centres and scammers in general.
    And I doubt overseas call-centre scammers will give a damn about any laws passed in this country.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Indeed not, but changing the law would allow the likes of BT to rapidly close down phone lines used for scams and to liaise with overseas service providers. They might also be able to block incoming calls from known scam numbers.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Spammers ignore TPS and I think there is a limit to the number of numbers you can block under BT Call Protect. Spammers swap numbers anyway so we gave up. For my cell phone I just don’t answer if I don’t recognise the number. For the house phone we have caller display which gives some indication if the incoming call is friend or foe. We get waves of spam calls, currently, touch wood, it is quiet but it can be several an hour. I sometimes just take the receiver off and it it is spam leave it on the side until the line dead sound starts.

9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

They kept phoning our land line for a while a month or so back .
    I told the rest of the household to tell them to f*** off and hang up immediately .

Although I had an Amazon prime account , I don't now .
    I sign up for it on the one month free trail in November each year , so any Christmas presents that I get from them are delivered next day , free .
    Then I cancel before the charges start ! ;)

I knew it was a scam as soon as I was told Amazon had phoned asking about a prime membership , not just because they didn't ask for me by name , but because Amazon don't even have my land line number !
    The only contacts they have for me is is my email and mobile number .

The only place that has my landline number is where I work , so I never answer it when it rings , that's what the answer machines for !

10. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I get them regularly - seems to make no difference if you cut them off or if you press a number to speak to them. Actually when you speak them they are surprised someone did (I often do it to waste their time).

Thinking about it, if you get a call telling you to cancel your Amazon prime and you ignore it does that not say to them **This number has Amazon Prime** Whereas if I speak to them and call them a c... then at least I've abused someone for calling me unsolicited.

I've had 2 emails today about Prime as well on my Spam collection account (its an account I use when I don't want to give out a proper email account). Added to the Junk filter and reported the domain name to the registrar.

neilt3 likes this.
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

NEVER press a keypad number - this can trigger all sorts of things - like forwarding the call to a premium rate number the other side of the world.

12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It isn't something I understand the technicalities of, but it is certainly good advice.best thing if this happens (line blocking) to your land-line is to use a cellphone to contact your land-line provider.

13. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

you might be interested in Kitboga?

14. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

This doesn't happen. Calls cannot be rerouted when they've called you.

15. Stephen Rundle

They get really annoyed when I question their parentage ......................................... and I do ;)........... after leading them on for a long time, it is great fun

16. Stephen Rundle

It is much easier to 1572 them

https://www.bt.com/help/security/bt-call-protect----how-to-----guide

Me I just like annoying them

17. Stephen Rundle

I told the rest of the household to tell them to f*** off and hang up immediately .

You are not alone :)

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I tell the household to F*** off and they don't speak to me...

neilt3 likes this.
  19. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

20. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My TalkTalk account lets me block the number 'of the last call received' (I just dial a specific 5 digit number to activate this service immediately after ending the call). In recent months the most persistent has been 'Is it time to get your oven professionally cleaned?' which all come from mobile numbers, and a new number each time.

So far my list of blocked numbers must be in the hundreds... no doubt some customers use this facility to block unwanted relatives too.