1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Always Check the Pockets...

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Fishboy, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Some of you may recall that I was given a Bronica ETRSi camera and a couple of lenses a few years ago, and that I decided to pass them onto one of the members of the forum who I reckoned would get more use out of them that me (since I already had exactly the same camera and lenses sitting on my camera shelf).

Anyway.

I was caught up in the spirit of Spring Cleaning this morning and decided that the camera bag that the donated Bronica had arrived in was surplus to requirements and should be thrown away. I decided to have a quick check of the various pockets before consigning it to the dustbin.

First - how had I forgotten that there was still a Vivitar 28-210mm f3.5-5.6 zoom lens in an Olympus OM fitting in the bag?

Second, the first of the side pockets I checked revealed a somewhat battered 1950s (at an estimate) Swiss Army Knife and a 58mm circular polarising filter.

Third, and finally, there was nothing in the other pockets until I got to the last one - a zip compartment at the back of the main part of the case which revealed a pristine-looking, cased Sekonic Digilite F flash/exposure meter!

"Ah" I thought, "the battery will have perished and gone all grungy and the meter will be totally buggered."

Well, the battery had indeed gone all grungy, however a bit of careful cleaning of the compartment seemed to do the trick. I fitted a new battery and voila! I now have a fully-functional spiffy electronic exposure meter!

At this point it's worth noting that my Spring Cleaning lasted an epic minute and a half before I got sidetracked into something else!

Well, the moral of the tale is that if anyone ever gives you an old camera bag, remember that those things have many pockets and they're always worth a quick check.

Cheers, Jeff

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Ha! I have just posted in the CF card thread that I had found some smart media cards and the Minolta data collector I used them in. Guess where I found them.

Right! Under a soft pad I used to separate it from the lens that went into that part of the bag. The bag was being examined to see if it should be thrown out to make room for the several bags I am bound to buy this year. :eek:

Fishboy likes this.
  3. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I did a shoot with a model in my home studio setup. She arrived with her B/F but an MUA was arriving later. When she did I had to go and meet her at the bus stop. That meant leaving two complete strangers in my flat for some 10 minutes. The shoot went ahead the B/F went to the pub during the shoot and all was well. Later at some time I went to look for my Sigma 170/500mm and no sign.

Racked the brain for some memory and came to the conclusion the couple from some time back must have nicked it. Back in the days when camera fairs were great I picked up a bag nothing at all special and one that got thrown to the back of beyond. Some years later I found the bag and with some excitement I looked to find whatever surprise might lay within. Yeah there was the lens. I was a bit disappointed there wasn't anything else. Some people there's just no pleasing them.

swanseadave and Fishboy like this.