1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternatives places for buying film?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by downfader, Feb 11, 2006.

1. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I'm extremely warey of credit cards. I think they're simply a vehicle to debt and so have refused to get one for the past few years. I mean what I pay in interest I could pay towards the post office charge in postal orders for most cases, lol!

So does anyone know of any good places I could order using cheques and postal orders for 5x4 sheet film and 120? The cheapest place I can find is Robert White (their transparencies are just as cheap as 7day once vat and p+p is added, even though 7day dont use vat! :eek:)

And... I always thought you could get provia 100f in 50 sheet boxes? The biggest I can find on the web is 10 sheet packs. Maybe I'm confused with print film?

What I would like to do is at some point order a bulk load of film to save money (if I can). The films I am interested in are: Provia 100f, maybe velvia, kodak portra 160vc and the Ilford range. I havent decided on Neopan yet, but again, maybe :rolleyes: This may be a couple of weeks off but I want to have time to browse and work out what I need to save towards it ;)

2. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

What's wrong with using a debit card?

3. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

. . . . . . or even a credit card, providing that you don't spend money that you haven't got and always pay the outstanding amount promptly.

I cannot remember (literally) the last time I paid any interest on a credit card; in fact my credit card company runs a 0.5% cashback scheme.

It is worth having a debit card for those occasion when a vendor wants to charge extra for the use of a credit card, but a credit card, used properly, lets you take a significant amount of free credit and is a great convenience.

4. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I never owned a credit card until a year or so ago, and I only use it for the insurance on expensive items. I always pay it off straight away.

But if you are worried about being able to control yourself having access to all that money (which I worried that I might initially, but have found I can handle it fine) your debit card is the answer. You cannot spend more than youve got! I pay almost everything online with my debit card.

5. downfader

I cant get one (yet). I had planned on changing my account, but the bank account I was going to get is now no longer available. And I keep hearing people telling me not to get an ISA as all banks are supposedly getting rid of those as well :eek:

I might (and its a might, I still dont trust them) get a debit card with a new bank account.. it all depends on the interest and things like that.

Anyway, I'd rather get a bankers cheque (which is free) for the money I want to spend: £150-200 worth of film. If you take the 4.9% credit card I looked at that would be an extra Tenner to the credit card firm. :mad:

6. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Im slightly confused. Im not aware of any banks that dont give a debit card with their current accounts these days provided you're not a "bad customer". Even the Co Op gave me one a couple of years ago when they had only let me have a cashcard for about five years!

Im a bit confused about what you mean by this? Theres no reason not to get an ISA, you can have from £1 to £3k gaining interest tax free, plus (if you get the right one) instant access if you need it, but it is meant to be more a Savings thing. You need to check out different banks for the best interest rates going and the various criteria to see if its suitable for your needs, theyre not all the same. Try here for general info or here for comparitive rates.

But that's besides the point, any Current Account will generally let you have a debit card.

There is no interest payable on a debit card because you're not borrowing anything, its just a method of paying with the money youve got, an electrical form of a cheque if you like. I can totally understand your worries about a credit card, but thats why I was confused why you didnt just use a debit card?

7. downfader

LOL! This has gone right off topic :eek:

8. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Sorry :eek: But I dont think theres anywhere that doesnt accept cheques anyway. Although I dont see much point in postal orders as they ARE costing you money, even if it is only a few pee, it can be from 5% to 50% of the value of the postal order! But if you dont have a cheque book I dont think it would be a problem, most place in the UK would accept one. :eek:

9. Highland_ddmac

Highland_ddmac Well-Known Member

Have to agree with downfader. Credit cards are evil!! I have zero willpower and never pay the card off in full. Giving someone like me a card is a sure fire way for a bank to make money!!! I know. I work for a bank........I hope my boss isn't into photography...lol...

Back on topic though. I would also like suggestions for mail order film and processing chemicals as I hope to turn my shed into a mini lab. BTW firms that accept credit cards are OK with me....*sigh*....Bang go's the New Years Resolution.

10. downfader

11. 0

0 Guest

One of the problems of paying by cheque is that you (generally) have to wait until the cheque's cleared before the dealer will release the goods. You know the money's in the bank, but .... Paying by credit card also gives you a lot of protection if the deal goes awry, and often insurance of the goods into the bargain. Just use it like a debit card and you won't go wrong (arrange a direct debit to pay it off in full every month to keep yourself on the straight and narrow!).

12. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Just get a debit card??

"Anyway, I'd rather get a bankers cheque (which is free) for the money I want to spend: £150-200 worth of film. If you take the 4.9% credit card I looked at that would be an extra Tenner to the credit card firm. "

That would be 4.9% interest over the course of a year if you don't pay your card off, if you pay your card off at the end of every month you don't pay interest.

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Er, isnt that what we've been discussing for tghe last ten posts or so :D :D :D I must need some vino... :D

14. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I could have sworn I saw some sheet film in the fridge at my loacal Jessops.

15. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Debit cards

Talking about debit cards. I have an internet one (same as my ordinary account but with the words ‘internet’ on the end). It has £100 in it with no overdraft and I use it to pay for bits and bobs on the er, internet. If someone gets hold of the number then the max they can have is er, £100. :D

Chris [​IMG] …lets be careful with our money out there!

16. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Re: Debit cards

Hmm I can pay anyone straight from my bank account online come to think of it, I pay all my bills that way.

Or try PayPal, a lot of people will take that these days.

17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I just hope that you're aware of the latest scam then. I think it was in the press in the last week or so. Some form of sleeper virus (trojan ?), which is only activated after you've accessed your account, when it harvests your security code etc.

18. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

As well as the entry code and password I have an Access Device which changes every few seconds so any code received would be useless by the time it had been obtained. Plus Im on a Mac so viruses are pretty rare.

19. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Could be wrong, but I think the reference I saw indicated that the problem was at the bank's end.

20. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

This one?
    Sounds like its at the user end and wouldnt be of any use without the fresh Access Code.

To be honest I think anything is a risk. I keep things as secure as I can but theres only so much you can do without never buying anything again. A cheque book is as easy to forge as a PIN is to obtain or a card to clone or some cash to nick.