1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative Processes

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by Zou, Jun 8, 2021.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Hmm. I wonder whether the carbonate works as a fixer, but the borate gives the deepest colour. No doubt the same people have argued over Nikon vs Canon, more vs fewer megapixies etc, and give as clear and unbiased a view as those debates.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

This video also uses Borax-sub but the end result is not exactly stunning!

3. gray1720

Interesting - the chap Steve posted looks to be using the substitute too, judging by the colour of the packet - unless he's had it since the days you could get real borax? And his print has considerably more whelm than the other chaps'!

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well I need to go for a walk, so I will probably saunter 5k or so to Musselburgh and check out the bargain/home store on the high street which will likely have both borax-sub and the isopropanol alcohol. Minimum order for borax-sub on the famous web shop is 1.5kg...

5. gray1720

Know any hoarders who might still be using The Proper Stuff? Just a thought...

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nah.

If I can't get it today I'll probably resort to Amazon. Annoyingly the uv lamp is now out of stock.

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Also:

S

peterba and Zou like this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just tried a couple of 5x4 negs on photo paper as lumen contact prints. Website said give it 15-30 minutes; looks like it needed 2 or 3 times that. Oh well, paper is cheaper than fancy chemistry!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Got the borax-sub yesterday (got to love those hardware/home/bargain stores which are the high street equivalent of an Amazon warehouse) but had to order the isopropanol from Amazon, as the store only had meths/surgical spirit. They might well do the job but the dye in the meths could do all sorts of things to the process and the oil in the SS might too. Who knows?

I'm on hols for a fortnight a week from now so I am praying for sunny days and high UV!

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

We'll expect the rain then;)
    Good luck with your project

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

*Whispering* Sunday to Tuesday looks perfect so far. :)

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Couldn't find any watercolour paper despite having a couple of sizes *somewhere* so had to order more. That arrives today and tomorrow/Tuesday still look promising for UV.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Couple of sheets drying, sun trying to force its way through the cloud. Forecast says cloudless skies and strong uv from noon.

The curcumin liquid really is messy stuff. Will upgrade my mixing equipment from disposable cup to something more robust/less likely to splatter.

14. gray1720

So what you are saying is that you currently, and for several weeks to come, look like Delboy's Mum's grave?

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thankfully I was able to attend to the splashes before the stains could develop.

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think he'd been at the whisky/vodka before he started!

Zou likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Done, now drying. Paper is A4 so bit tight for my 8x10 trays, might get some bigger ones, or just cut the paper down and make smaller images.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Paper curled a fair bit when drying, so they've spent the day sandwiched between some big books to flatten them. Planning to scan tomorrow.

The UV lamp I was after has been out of stock for a while with no indication of when it will be available again. Thinking now I might have to cobble something together, as the natural UV up here just isn't reliable enough. Really want to try cyanotypes which would benefit from more controlled exposures.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Also did 2 sheets of 'Sunography' ready to go cyanotype paper today. Double sided they said. Hmm. One was, the other certainly wasn't. So three images, not four as expected. I did these ash clippings:

20210701-2021-07-01-0003.jpg

... and also 3 5x4 negatives as contact prints. One didn't materialise as the paper was only single sided. One was very very faint and of no real use. This one was still faint but much more useable:

20210701-2021-07-01-0005.jpg

It's a bit underwhelming really. I was hoping for more detail in the leaf (even the lumen print showed vein structure etc.) but it was just a silhouette. But a big part of the problem seems to be quality or lack of it in the paper. Really rough texture, poor quality coating (looks like some of the coating has rubbed off the image above already), and of course one sheet being single sided. I'll continue to mess about with it but really hoping to get an indoor UV source set up so I can use the real stuff on my choice of paper.

20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think you need to dip it briefly in [?] hydrogen peroxide. Or something similar to increase the contrast.

S