1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative Processes

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by Zou, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Popped these out about 15 minutes ago. Going to give it an hour and a half to two hours or some point after lunch before we go out for a bike ride.

20210612-DSC03489.jpg

Edit to add: clockwise from top left - dead fennel, clippings from a tree that's trying to grow in a quiet corner, rock rose, fern that's trying to poke out of the hedge.

Geren likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I have 'fixed' them now and they are drying post-wash. Not sure how good the fixer is as it is long expired, but the prints certainly changed tone in the fix so it did *something*!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

So, in Scotland, a few years, then? ;) :D

Geren and Zou like this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

NIce, I particularly like the ghostly shadowing on the fennel.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thanks. I probably should clean up the dust... On the original scan there's obviously more resolution and some of the detail is just gorgeous. There's also bits of organic material which add a hint of colour. The fixed and washed version loses that of course.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Long shot, but are any chemists able to advise? Quite keen to try the turmeric anthotype process. Turmeric powder mixed with alcohol, discarding solids and using the liquid to coat paper. Expose for just a few hours. So far so good, but then borax is used to intensify the contrast and help stabilise the print. Will branded borax-substitute work, or an alternative such as bicarbonate of soda, soda crystals etc.?

8. gray1720

I'm WFH this morning (as opposed to the usual WTF) - I'll ask the resident chemist when she surfaces next. Any idea what's in the borax substitute chemical-wise?

Zou likes this.
  9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I've a feeling I read somewhere you can.

S

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sodium tetraborate is in the real thing but the substitute is sodium sesquicarbonate. It needs to react to the curcumin (?) that the alcohol brings out of the turmeric powder.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's at times like this that I wished I understood chemistry better. Knowing which part of a substance does what would make this mucking about far more productive!

12. steveandthedogs

Thinks - was it something about the pH? Hmmm.

S

13. steveandthedogs

sodium sesquicarbonate mix of Carbonate and bicarbonate, so washing soda should be fine.

S

Zou likes this.
  14. steveandthedogs

And I suppose you could drink any left-over turmeric/vodka suspension...

S

15. gray1720

If it's the pH then the substitute will be fine as they are both alkaline - I suspect that pH is a more likely reason than any fundamental function of the borate bit.

Hmm, googling, it looks as though reacting with the boron is a fundamental part of it - you can assay for boron by measuring the colour change in a curcumin solution. That might be harder -you may have to find someone doing anthrotypes in the UK and ask them.

Zou likes this.
  16. steveandthedogs

Using Borax subst, I think. Also states you can use Na carb.

S

Zou likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

:confused::eek:

18. gray1720

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hmmm. If the sub worked in the video Steve linked I'm sure that will be the easiest option.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's stuff like this which concerns/annoys me: