1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative Processes

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by Zou, Jun 8, 2021.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Only one way to find out...

S

2. steveandthedogs

I think so, but can't find the recipe.

Have heard of one lad using Lipton's Liquorice Tea. That's definitely better than drinking it.

S

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Actually, yes, that reminds me quite a lot of folk use Lipton strong tea for staining. Not sure about using it as the light sensitive element though.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Gripe of the day - wife has moved my 8x10 frame (decently thick glass, stiff backing board) AND the solar paper to location unknown. Denies all knowledge, despite everything on the shelves being rearranged. o_O

5. steveandthedogs

No, actually as the developer.

S

Zou likes this.
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I've developed a couple of B&W films in caffenol, with very satisfactory results. (well, the developing was good, but the photography was rubbish, as usual!).

It's no more difficult than using regular chemicals (but it's considerably smellier :)), and I calculated that the cost was, IIRC, approximately half - excluding the cost of fixer - at mid-2020 Ilford prices.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Zou likes this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

In a curious update, an innocent "well have you looked in..." led me to them. She was playing it cool but I see what she did.

Geren, steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  8. peterba

How familiar that phrase is!! :D

Zou likes this.
  9. steveandthedogs

If you use the C-L version, do semi-stand, not stand. I had a fair amount of bromide drag using straight stand, just a little agitation half way seemed to cure it.

S

peterba likes this.
  10. peterba

Thanks, Steve. I'm no expert in these matters, and I've only ever done developing at the most basic level. I've never tried stand development, and I do intend to give it try, at some point........ i.e. when (if?) the Good Lady runs out of new DIY projects to allocate to me! ;)

I tried caffenol simply because the idea intrigued me. I actually processed using caffenol in the Lab-Box (o_O), and I have to admit that I was rather chuffed with the results.

zx9r likes this.
  11. steveandthedogs

Ah you have one of those as well...

I tend to use Rodinal semi rather the caffenol, pure laziness and I ran out of crappy coffee anyway. Caffenol gives better results, though.

S

peterba likes this.
  12. peterba

Until I noticed your bold highlight, I thought you were referring to the Lab-Box! :D

Zou likes this.
  13. peterba

It took considerable steely determination;), but I had to force myself to purchase some crappy coffee for the caffenol. We didn't have any in the house, because we long-since switched to the Real Thing (and I don't mean Coca Cola - in case you're old enough to remember that advert!) :D

zx9r and steveandthedogs like this.
  14. steveandthedogs

I know what you mean. You go to the counter and mumble "I don't actually drink it, I use it for developing film." And then notice the assistant's hand creeping towards the alarm button.

S

peterba and Zou like this.
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's like the crappy wine we buy for cooking. Worried someone at Lidl thinks we actually drink that sub-10% English white...

peterba likes this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

In an interesting (ok, humour me) diversion, whilst searching yesterday I also uncovered an old box of 5x7 multigrade paper, so lumen prints are now firmly on the agenda. I've even got some dodgy old fixer so I can get the 2 for 1 by scanning before and after fixing for two takes on the same composition.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I am looking to use plant based material for photo-sensitive solution. I have not yet established if the transparencies that I tried to run through my printer melted becasue they were not suitable for a laserjet printer or if my printer just won't do them at all. I'm trying not to think about the printer at work because if I wreck that...

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Anthrotypes? These look really appealing to me but would be testing my patience as even in countries with lots of sunlight the exposures can take weeks!

peterba likes this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I haven't got beyond the 'I quite fancy that' stage yet so it may well prove too cumbersome. I don't have my own garden so I'd be loathe to leave a print out there for too long as it might well 'walk'. Or one of the neighbour's dogs mgiht be a bit too interested in it. However a contact of mine has had some success with leaving things on a windowsill and judging from their output I have to believe they were only there for a day or so...unless they have lots and lots of very large windowsills. I will ask and see what they come back with.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I understand the organic material varies some are much faster than others. Also, full light spectrum required apparently, so UV lamps don't speed things up.