1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative Processes

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by Zou, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Anyone here use alternative processes such as cyanotype, argyrotype, etc.? I've long had an interest but the reliance on UV is a bit of an issue here in Scotland... However, in the few years since I last looked into it, LED UV lamps have become very affordable so I'm thinking about getting one and giving it a go. Edinburgh Central library used to be my go-to for fun stuff like this but I've found plenty of info online. Will likely start with botanical 'sun' prints but also contact printing 4x5. Digital negatives also look tempting but I'm a bit inkjet print-phobic.

So, anyone else interested in this area of photography?

Geren likes this.
  2. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

OneTen, who used to hang around here is very much into such things.

Are you on Facebook? I can hook you up with him

Zou likes this.
  3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've done a couple of sun prints on ready-made cyanotype paper (the first worked so well it went on the wall - just luck with a geranium leaf), but no further than that. Like everything else, I have far too many interests for the time available!

I suspect they are not alone, it's just that I am on their mailing list, but Firstcall Photographic do a lot of alternative process stuff: https://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/
    If you need UV, hie ye away to Kinlochewe!

Zou likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm not... Perhaps a return to the AP forum would be in order!? ;)

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've got some of that paper but when I was planning to use it the conditions were too windy (didn't want to squish flowers with a pane of glass). Hoping to use it soon though as it should be a good intro.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I've made some vandyke prints and cyanotypes. I used a UV lamp at the art school for the vandyke prints, and just a sunny day (HA! Yes, we did get one) for the cyanotypes. I would like to do some more of this though so I'm going to have to look at getting a lamp I think.

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

peterba and Geren like this.
  9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

There's some argument about which wavelength you need for artificial UV. I think most of the panel lamps are not the right sort. Rather than using those silly plastic boxes, what about buying a length of UV LED strip, about £20 should be enough, and an old cardboard box? Which is what I'm trying to get around to at the moment.

or try anthotypes:

Oh, and make a printing board. you need a sheet of glass, the thicker the better, a piece of plywood, a couple of hinges, and some some of those clips whose name I've forgotten, the sort used on the top of clipboards. Cut the ply in half, screw the hinges to it. Then: Sheet of cyanotype paper, negative, piece of glass on top, secure with the clips. To check how the print is progressing, undo one clip, let the ply swing away, gently pull down the paper, replace clip if necessary. Stops the paper moving relative to the neg.
    S

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Zou likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've found a panel that's 365 thingys which is ideal, most are closer to 400 thingys which isn't. ;) That and a cardboard box to sit it on should do just fine.

My DIY skills are non-existent, so seeing all these tutorials where you "just" need to solder bits together and blah blah blah are of little practical use to me.

Geren likes this.
  11. steveandthedogs

Solder? Terminal blocks and a small screwdriver.

S

Zou likes this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My suggestion was rather tongue in cheek to be fair! Where are you finding your panel? I found this but it doesn't say anything about any thingies which is irritating!

uv-lamp-for-alternative-photography

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  13. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

But why would you want to swear less? (It has just occurred to me that if I were to swear less, I wouldn't actually say very much. :))

Zou likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Found this via a YouTube video. The lower wattage versions and most similar designs are closer to 400 which just won't cut it.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

20 minutes of automated and then human support chat later I am now aware that my printer doesn't support transparency printing, so home printing digital negatives is not going to be an option. Whether this will save me money and fuss or result in the opposite is still to be determined!

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hmm. How about printing a negative image on light regular inkjet paper (not photo stuff) - surely the UV would pass ok? Density may be an issue but easy and cheap to mess about with.

17. gray1720

You are the last person I'd have expected to forget bulldog clips! On the other hand, I now know what the choccy blocks I've used for electrical gubbins for years are really called...

steveandthedogs likes this.
  18. gray1720

P.S. Nooooooooooooo! I do not need more funky processes to try!

(thoughts... as a Brit, can you do Caffenol with tea?)

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Got to be better than drinking it, right? :rolleyes:

gray1720 likes this.
  20. steveandthedogs

You've never met my memory, have you?

Mind you, neither have I.

S

ps https://www.caffenol-cookbook.com/ Start about p.72.

gray1720 likes this.