1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpha 100 problem

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by swanseadave, Sep 9, 2015.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

A fault seems to have developed with my A100 while on holiday.It seems to make a whirring sound when switched on and a delay of 3 or 4 seconds before it`s ready to shoot.
    While it still takes pictures as usual I`ve also noticed it getting hot under my right hand so I`ve taken to switching on only when needed.

Anyone any suggestions what may be happening here?I do hope it`s not terminal:(

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A strange one, the heat thing makes me wonder whether the battery has become faulty.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Dave, Does it have a sensor clean facility that can be set to operate on start up? That may explain the whirring sound. I'm surprised at heat on start up. More usually experience it after shooting intensely & repeatedly for a while. Cheers, Oly

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Whirring sound? Getting hot? Is there a fault with the built-in flash? Had that before with a different camera where the flash tries to pop up and can't, ditto overheating. Turned out terminal on that camera.

5. 0lybacker

Just had another thought, unfortunately do not know much about digi-Sony mechanics: is the lens located properly? How is the AF driven? Have you done a methodical check and gone round every single 'input' on body and lens and checked that knobs, levers, sliders, etc. are all in correct position and not between two indents?

6. swanseadave

Perhaps I didn`t explain very well Oly.I only noticed the heat after wandering around for maybe 45 minutes.I became alarmed and switched off,thereafter turning off between shots.
    Actually I`ve never had to use the sensor clean function at all.Amazing as it may seem I never got any dust on the sensor.:rolleyes:

Nimbus,what reason do you have for suspecting the battery?

Nick,I didn`t have occasion to use flash but it would have been my hotshoe flash not the built in.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A defective battery can generate heat.

8. swanseadave

Hmm,I checked both batteries and found they both stay cool while heat develops under my right thumb as in shooting position.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I wasn't trying to use mine either when the problem occurred - it was caused by sand getting in the mechanism, and the camera was trying (and failing) to pop the flash up of its own accord.

10. 0lybacker

Hmmn, if the camera is on and in use heat will inevitably build up from the battery because it is usually in the handgrip under a hand. Maybe even shooting sporadically in the 45mins, it was enough to cause the heat build up. On the Olympus E-520 I have noticed it but usually after shooting intensively, say, getting half a dozen pics each of, say, as many items within a few minutes for fleaBaying. The grip gets warm, so does the screen because the sensor becomes hot as well and the screen has been flashing on and off. Same can occur with a quick series of long exposures but the heat build up on the grip is less because camera on tripod it doesn't have a mitt wrapped around it. Can't recall the D700 getting a bit hot'n'bothered but it probably has. It's bigger, so more heat dissipation capability, blah, blah.

The other factor is black camera, hot sunny day. Leave a camera in direct sunlight for five to ten minutes and its going to get some way to toastie.

Key thing about the clean function: have you switched it onto 'auto on start-up' accidentally while delving in menus? Have you checked? Remember we had someone on here recently asking about the funny noise their camera was making and they had inadvertently switched on 'auto clean on start-up. Anyone else had their hands on your camera, at all? Nikon Norman really scrambled the Pen 1 for me :rolleyes: when I had one briefly to try out and he couldn't resist a play time. Cheers, Oly

11. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Does it happen with just the one lens attached or others? Might be a contact fault on the lens, rather than the camera itself. Can't help further as I sold my A100 last year and not used it for a few years prior to that.
    You could try e-mailing Gary Friedman (google Friedman Archives). He knows everything there is about Sony cameras.

12. swanseadave

That option is not available with this camera.I`ll try Gary Friedman.Thanks for suggestion.

Steve,I had only three lenses with me one attached to my Dynax with slide film,but I did try all of them on the Alpha to no avail.:(

13. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I have a Sony A200, does exactly the same at switch on, AFAIK it's the sensor clean, an A350 does a similar sound at switch on but for a shorter period

14. swanseadave

Perhaps what I`ll do is put it into sensor clean mode and see if it sounds the same.

Until this happened it`s always switched on instantly.If it gets worse I`ll try and pick up a A350.There seem to be plenty around.

15. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I've got one you can have, if you ever get down this way, wouldn't fancy posting it.

16. swanseadave

Thanks for that Mike,but it`s highly unlikely I`ll be able to get to Dorset in the near future.:(

17. swanseadave

Been doing some testing on the camera.With a fully charged battery in camera I`ve left it turned on,shot a few random frames at home,watching the LCD as I do so.

Camera getting hot,then battery indicator on LCD suddenly goes red showing one bar.
    Remove battery from camera and meter it using a multimeter.Instantly shows 7.7volts.(battery rated as 7.3v 11.5Wh)

Tried the same using the other battery,same result.:confused:

I`ve had various opinions on the likely cause,including Gary Friedman who thought it may be super steady shot malfunctioning.I`ve done my own testing of SSS and it works as it should.I had sharp pictures at 1/2 second.

I`m even more confused now but it`s the overheating that worries me.

Any further thoughts anyone?

18. 0lybacker

Have you used it in the rain, Dave, or could condensation have got into the camera? In your holiday sightseeing, did you take the hot camera into a cold museum or cathedral? From your latest post, it seems to me that something is almost but not quite creating a full short circuit.

Have you done anything about my suggestion of checking round all the input points, ie buttons & dials. Does your camera do video by any chance. If so, is the video button sticking? Maybe ever so slightly depressed? Make sure all the input points are centred in dents and or at appropriate extremes & working fully.

19. swanseadave

Hi Oly.I don`t think it could be condensation,since I`ve not used it in rain for months.We did walk around Menorca cathedral but I was surprised how warm it was in there!
    I`ve been around all the contact points and all are OK.Thanks for the suggestion though.Everything seems to work as it should.

No video.Camera`s 8-9 years old.I`ve had it 5 years.

It`s starting to do my head in now:rolleyes:

Again thanks for your input.Another thing,A100s can be picked up less than £100 these days so is it worth a probably expensive repair?

20. 0lybacker

OK, Dave, cracked circuit board a la Leica M6 is my next best guess, perhaps a knock prior to your ownership? As to repair, that may make it expensive or even impossible, even if not at Leica prices. (IIRC, the Leica meter board costs £100!) The other thing to consider with a camera that age, especially a Sony, is that more recent cameras may offer a leap in performance. Whether that is important to you, only you can say. Cheers, Oly