1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Change?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by kjg123, Dec 31, 2010.

1. kjg123

kjg123 New Member

Hi, i am considering changing my dslr kit. I currently have an olympus e510 with a 15-54mm aftermarket lens and a 40-150mm kit lens. I am considering changing to a Canon eos400d or a Nikon D80, the main reason for change is cost. Canon and Nikon seem to have a large range of available lenses at reasonable prices, where as Olympus is limited and expensive. I welcome any coments you have to either reasure me I have the right setup or whether you think the Canon or Nikon would be more suitable. I currently shoot mostly outdoors,landscape, wildlife, nightime & sport.
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

If you want to switch brands go and play with the cameras you might be looking at getting and see which feels best to you. Canon & Nikon both make perfectly good cameras suitable for all subjects.

3. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Excellent advice. You'll find most other brands bigger than the Olympus, also there are variances between the makes for button positions and just the general feel of the camera in your hands.

Pop down to a 'good' camera shop and have a look/feel of the different models to give yourself an impression of what each is like

4. kjg123

kjg123 New Member

I have been to several camera shops today to see what they are like. Once handled I was heading towards the D80, but then the guy in the shop showed me a D90. The D90 seems to be a whole other ball game, in terms of build and feel, but it does come with a hefty price tag. I was also shown a Canon 550D but it just didn't seem to balance right in the hand.

5. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

I would have thought the most expensive thing you could do was to change systems. And I've heard the 14-54mm is a fantastic lens. As far as other lenses go, Olympus's 9-18mm is no more expensive than Canon's 10-22mm and Nikon's 12-24mm and highly rated. Also the 50-200mm (if you got one secondhand) is probably cheaper and has a wider aperture than Canon's 100-400mm or Nikon's 80-400. I think the lenses are the best thing about the Olympus system!

Go out, take some good pictures, print 'em nice and big and ask yourself then, 'what's wrong with my current kit?'

And if you're interested, there's a picture in the landscape photographer of the year cometition at the National Theatre taken with an E620 + 9-18mm which is every bit as good as those taken with full frame Canons and L-glass.

And if you really are set on changing, don't forget Pentax and Sony either...!

6. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

I don't think the D90 is that 'hefty' anymore pricewise, not since the D7000 came out. Shop around there are reasonable deals to be had. I guess it depends on wht you can afford but if it's only a tad over your budget I'd say stretch yourself because it might just niggle you if you go for a camera that wasn't your first choice. Good luck :)

7. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Nikon D5000? It's a model below the D90 (sort of, the new numbering system is blurring the lines a bit) and regarded pretty highly.

I've got a D80, and think it's great. It's from 2006, so technologywise is a bit long in the tooth now. If you're on a budget though, it could be a good move as it hasn't held it's value as much as other discontinued models.

8. kjg123

kjg123 New Member

Thanks for the help. I have had another thought and that is an OM to 4/3rds adapter ring, which will open up a whole different range of lenses, I understand that it will have to be manual focus only.
    On another note with reguards to olympus digital zoom lenses I have looked at the reasonably priced 70-300mm, is the 50-200mm really worth the extra cash and also would you need the 1.4 teleconverter to get similar results to the 70-300mm.
    Thanks