1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Alec Soth: Paris, Milan, Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by TimF, Jun 24, 2007.

1. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Yesterday's Telegraph Magazine featured a piece on Alec Soth's latest project - a Fashion Magazine; the third in a series put out by Magnum photographers. The first was, of course, by Martin Parr (who I suspect may be the driving force behind the project), the second - which seemed to slip under the radar, as this article's mention of it was the first I'd even heard of it - was by Bruce Gilden.

Interesting stuff, though sadly only one picture seems to be available in the online piece.

2. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim, I tend to decide what paper to buy on a Saturday based on which has the best photographic content . . . how did I miss the Telegraph yesterday :mad:

I'm a big fan of Alec Soth, only just wish I'd bought 'Mississippi' when it came out but as always I was lagging behind. I did buy the April copy of W Magazine which featured 20 odd pages of Alec's fashion work, shot in Minnesota with the locals dressed in designer cloths. The outdoor shots worked best for me though I'm not sure the model in the Versace dress was too impressed with standing out on a frozen lake! I'd imagine these photos are part of the Magnum Fashion Mag.

I had a quick browse through the Bruce Gilden one when it came out and passed on it - the bits I remember (it came as a number of sections IIRC) looked like his trademark startled look only with models rather than 'innocent victims'.

Looking forward to Alec's version plus Dog Days, Bogota due out in October.

Cheers,
    Alan.

3. mertonia

mertonia Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links
    peter

4. TimF

Alan,
    Thanks for the Bogota book link. Looks very interesting - as is to be expected of Alec (Amazon says August release BTW).

5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Well Alec seemed to be having a good time at the launch at the Jeu de Paume :cool:

large photo

And there's more links in his blog.

AlanW.

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Thanks to Tim for starting this thread and for Alan for adding a few more links :cool:

:)

Jack

7. TimF

I just took a look at Alec's blog, as featured in Alan's last link. From there I followed the link to "lensculture" which contains some extras. It appears that the shoot for W magazine was a seperate commission rather than being extracted from the Magnum project (see the p.s. at page bottom).

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Afternoon Tim,

Funny thing about "lensculture", I had never heard about it until I went to a (photo
    school) grad show whose students used our lab for printing over the past year and
    the one student whos interest was PJ/Steet/Doc pointed out the "lensculture" along
    with "lightstalkers" websites and forums :) ...both fascinating sites :)

Cheers,

jack

9. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Re: Alec Soth: Paris, Milan, Minnesota! - update

Alec's just posted a link to some of the photographs from Paris Minnesota on his blog - its looking good!

The Our Lady of the Pines Catholic Church photo brought to mind Robert Frank's postcard stand photos, can't find an example at the minute so I'm probably way off the mark.

10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member