1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Al- Megrahi

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WillieJ, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

So a trial and three appeals were wrong?

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  2. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Sorry where exactly did I say that.

3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

At least you’ve taken it exactly the wrong way.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Now, I wonder who has been eradicating nuclear experts in Iran? Want to speculate on that one?

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I am sure there is a path back to The Orange One.

6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Must be Gove - he's the one who said we've had enough of experts...

Catriona likes this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You mean the one that Israel identified as a target? No idea, none at all. :rolleyes:

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  8. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I have no idea if Mr. Megrahi had any involvement or not I simply believe that the evidence led by the prosecution did not remotely approach proof beyond all reasonable doubt.
    Re Gaddafi (as nasty a piece of work as you could ever hope not to meet), I believe the sanctions applied were crippling Lybia and he paid up simply because it was cheaper to do so. Yes I know he said he had to take responsibilty because "a Lybian agent had committed the act." but it is my assumption that some sort of limited contrition was required to be made as part of the deal to get some sanctions lifted.

Zou likes this.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Clearly false due to his incompetence - unless he was just moving some papers on the desk and knocked the 'approve strike' button in error.

Catriona and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

We might if we look at it objectively enough. Or if someone talks. Many must know the truth.

11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Years ago Private Eye did a very interesting investigation of the case which revealed a lot of behind the scenes distortion and unpleasant evidence being swept under various carpets basically because it didn't suit the USA's version of the story.

Catriona likes this.
  12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

If you will allow that spending four years under one Middle East despot - in my case, Saddam Hussein in Iraq - gives one a good grasp of the behaviour of Middle East despots, then one thing becomes absolutely clear - Megrahi was a damn' sight safer in a Scottish jail than he would have been back in Libya, or much anywhere else, come to that.

If - as I believe - Gaddafi sanctioned the Pan Am bombing as revenge for US bombing in 1986, then Megrahi committed the unforgiveable offence of getting caught, and if he had not sanctioned it, then Megrahi committed the unforgiveable offences of being involved in an unsanctioned action and getting caught.

Either way, his ass was grass, and Gaddafi had legions of mower men.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I gave up on Private Eye when I realised that it never allows the truth to get in the way of a good joke. :p

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Easy to blame Israel. Don't forget that the Sunni majority states are not keen on the Shia majority Iran getting a nuclear bomb.
    There are suspects galore.

15. Catriona

So you think the USA then? :rolleyes:

16. Learning

Unlikely to do it directly. There are so many people that want the Iranian bomb effort to fail that without evidence it is wrong to point a finger at anyone in particular.

17. Catriona

Very magnanimous.

18. Learning

Not at all. I do not consider that we have evidence to point a finger.

19. Trannifan

Your loss.........................

20. Trannifan

It seems that the whole debacle started when the US navy shot down an Iranian airliner over the Persian Gulf. Iran and its friends from the PFLP and Syria started plotting to blow up an american airliner as revenge. Libya only came into the picture years later when an FBI forensics 'expert' (later gaoled for persistant manipulation of evidence in court cases- 'give the prosecution what they want to hear!') said that a tiny piece of plastic came from a detonator supposedly supplied to Libya.