1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airport Secuiity

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MickLL, Jun 17, 2014.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Recently I flew from London Gatwick to Bangkok. I changed planes in Bangkok and the transfer security found a pair of nail scissors in my wife's hand baggage. LGW security had missed them.

Yesterday my son did the same journey - but from Heathrow. This time Bangkok found a Swiss Army knife that he had inadvertently left in his hand baggage. LHR security had missed it.

What price airport security?

MickLL

2. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

A few years ago the baggage scanner at Bergerac (France) found a machine gun in my hold suitcase but on inspection it turned out to be a tripod.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mick,

What price hysteria and overreaction?

Cheers,

R.

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Your son was lucky the Swiss Army Knife was not detected at LHR as he would almost certainly have been arrested and charged and missed his flight. In our nanny state, having any knife in a public place is an offence.

Makes life difficult for anglers, gamekeepers and suchlike.

Crazy.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Going through immigration in Pakistan, on my way back to Heathrow, from Bangkok, I arranged things so I could use my wheelchair at the airport, but as I was being checked through security, they noticed a pocket built into the seat of the chair to hold it's toolkit, and confiscated these off me, because Quote, "I might use them to dismantle parts of the aircraft, or use them to maim someone during the flight"!!! The fact that the chair, is stored in the cargo hold during the flight, and I obviously could not access that part of the plane during the flight, was irrelevant.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Only if the blade is over 3"?

Or if you can show good reason to carry it, such as anglers, gamekeepers and suchlike...

7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

This is the sort of gibberish people spout out and then others stupidly believe and it becomes "proof of political correctness gone mad". None of it is true, of course.

Reminds me of Stewart Lee's, "These days if you say your English you get arrested and thrown in jail!" routine, except his is funny.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Where did you hear that?

Surely you wouldn't even be allowed to leave a shop after buying a knife if it were true!

I believe carrying something that could be considered a weapon might be illegal but the knife on the multi-tool I take cycling (for example) isn't.

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Hysteria? Over reaction?

I don't understand - unless you mean the ridiculous lengths that the 'security' gurus go to these days.

MickLL

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

As I thought.....roughly!

Had wondered about bigger swords but I see they covered that too.....During the Edinburgh festival I've seen folk walking through crowds with broadswords. It's fine if you are wearing a kilt apparently :D

12. willie45

The old joke is about the pub in Glasgow where they would search you as you went in and if you didn't have a chib they would give you one :)

13. Roger Hicks

Dear Mick,

That's what I meant. This is not really security at all. It's being seen to do something -- however worthless. Then again, it ain't gurus either. It's the gutter press and the politicians that pander to their readers.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As already said, not so. Also, an airport is not a public place, the public do not have free access, even approved people must pass through security. Only a few days ago I was going through security with a colleague, she had a bottle of water, which had to be emptied, but the security staff refilled it for her, with chilled water. Please don't knock security staff, it isn't a job most of us would want to do and in general they do it with good humour.

Then again most people don't have to go through security several times a day every working day. When one has to do that for several years one's attitude changes somewhat.

15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I believe security consultant Bruce Schneir coined the term "Security Theatre" to describe this.

https://www.schneier.com/essays/archives/2009/12/is_aviation_security.html

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm just glad I experienced the fun days of flying, of sitting between the pilots when there were no seats available, of being able to kiss my sister goodbye at the boarding gate etc etc. Strangely, there were no panics or troubles in those days either.
    My husband vowed never to fly again when he was put through hell all because he had his peakflow meter (asthma) in his hand baggage. My birthday presents opened and scrutinised, baggage passed through x-ray several times... it went on and on.

No, I don't feel any safer with this paranoid behaviour at airports. Give me the ferry any day!
    Kate

17. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

18. Roger Hicks

19. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Not true at all , you can have a pocket knife if the blades are not more than 3 inches. I usually have a small swiss army knife with me, and another in my camera bag. Nothing to do with a nanny state

20. willie45

You can have a machete if you have a use for it.