1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Ain't technology wunnerful

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I had an email from Royal mail at 09.48 to say an item had been delivered, so went to the door to see if postie had left it outside; as I opened the door there stood postie about to knock the door. Turned out he scanned the item's barcode as he started along the corridor, there are 8 flats, 4 a side, along the corridor.

Somewhat more accurate than the sender's system, email from them on Tuesday said item despatched, delivery due Aug 8th or 9th!

mediaman and RogerMac like this.
  2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I haven't forgiven Royal Mail for closing at least an hour before stated closing time one New Years Eve. I left off work early and drove 60 miles to pick up a parcel. I'm still scarred!

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I'm still hacked off that they moved the sorting office in the centre of Staines (10 minutes walk) to an industrial estate half way to Egham (35 minutes walk).

And that was about ten years ago! :eek:

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My new postie is wonderful. Parcels, he opens the front door and drops them in. If I am out and have locked the door, but he sees me, he delivers it personally. Same goes for the great haulage man. I never have to arrange a pick up from them either.

mediaman likes this.
  5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Ah! You've just reminded me, I used to go on ICL Training Courses to Beaumont way back in the 80's - complete with a free, all you can eat buffet! :(

Sorry for going off topic :(

6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

NEVER get me started on the post office when something does not fit the letterbox

Years and me were indoors all day but when I went out there was one of those red "Sorry you were out" cards I was so incensed I called them and asked to speak to the manager when I told him we'd been in all day and they hadn't rung the bell he said "We've all done that"

7. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I purchased a expensive compact camera on line for the Mrs birthday which we were going to celebrate abroad in Cyprus, the camera was a promised delivery the day before we went on holiday it was being delivered by the royal mail and it had a tracking ref. on it, I tracked it all the way here to the point of signing for it, the only problem was it did not come here, after a few phone calls I was told its been delivered here, oh no it has not, the conversation was like something out of a panto......I knocked on the doors of all the neighbours and no the item had not been delivered there, what am I to do well I went to the local post office which was just a few minutes away, I explained the situation the woman behind the counter asked if I had any I.D which was lucky I had my driving license in my wallet and a bank card, with that she went out to the back room and came back with a small package with my address on she said is this what you are looking for? and yes it was...........why did it go to the post office instead of my house?........who signed for it?.......would it have been re-delivered at a later date?....we never had an answer of anybody..........this was ten years ago, I am glad to say things have got better in my circumstances with the royal mail, tracking...

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I’ve had various problems with Royal Mail and Parcelforce deliveries. Some of them stem from the geography of the area in which I live – my house number is 39 and there’s another number 39 a mile and a half down the same road. Both houses have different postcodes but this doesn’t seem to make much of a difference to them when making deliveries.

To compound the problem the elderly lady who lives at the other number 39 is quite happy to sign for anything that’s delivered to her, and once it’s passed her threshold she shows a limpet-like determination to hold on to it.

As a general rule I now find it easier to have everything delivered to work – the only time this fell apart was when I received a call form a delivery driver asking me to come downstairs and pick up a package from him because he didn’t “do lifts”.

Probably the most memorable parcel fiasco was several years ago when my wife and I returned from work to find a Royal Mail note on the doormat saying “Parcel in Dustbin” – you can probably guess that this happened on our rubbish collection day and that the parcel had gone.

I wrote a long and impassioned missive to the company that we’d purchased from – a catalogue company from which my then-wife had attempted to purchase…ahem…a pair of thigh-length, high-heeled, black leather boots. What can I say? She’d left her hippy phase behind and was moving towards a sort of amateur dominatrix look.

I enclosed a copy of the note left on the doormat and speculated at length about dustbin men tottering around Burnley in unsuitable footwear whilst marvelling at the sort of things that some people throw away.

Suffice to say we received a full apology, a refund and a gift voucher and were notified that the letter had been pinned to their staff noticeboard so that everybody could have a good laugh.

Cheers, Jeff

9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I had some enlargements done by mail order. These came in an A4 envelope clearly marked "Photographs do not bend". Our postie took that as a challenge and succeeded!

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I watched the tracking report on my PC for a parcel I was expecting. Suddenly it changed to 'Couldn't deliver because you weren't at home' (or whatever the wording was). I got on the phone and tore a strip off the poor person in the DHL call-centre. The next day I found in my letterbox a very crumpled collection slip which hadn't been there the day before (I'd checked) so I went into town to collect the package. My suspicion was, and is, that the delivery driver had spent too long drinking coffee or having 'phone conversations and, as a result, was so far behind that he just stuffed the collection slip into any old post-box at the right address. Having said that, and having wasted a morning waiting for nothing, I was on my way to the shops when a GMX van passed me going tghe other way. On the front seat next to the driver was a package which from size and shape looked suspiciously like the package I was waiting for. I wondered whether the DHL driver had been given a bollocking over the telephone from his control centre and so he's asked a mate from GMX to deliver what he'd missed. I'll never know.

One other thing that happened more recently was the the overseas pensions office in Newcastle sent me a statement which I needed for tax purposes. They sent it by TNT- which to Germany took the best part of 5 days ( the accompanying paperwork said 'next day delivery)!- and of course, having wasted days waiting for it, I wasn't at home. TNT 'phoned me.....unfortunately the girl in their call centre had a headset with either a damaged mike or a lose contact or two so that the message was incomprehensible! They managed to deliver two days later.

Lynn

11. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Quick, get a bucket of water, then follow this up with a hose-down!

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I had a bad experience with Collect Plus a couple of weeks ago. Two alleged delivery attempts when I was in and waiting. Never did find out what was really going on.Then again, it seems like they pay these guys peanuts so you can't really expect good service.

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

That's the crux of the problem. The driver's have too many deliveries and too little time to do them in and at very minimal pay.

14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Funny that, global warming and everything, you would think they would want us using cars or buses or trains as little as possible.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

They probably just saw how overweight I was and thought they'd provide me with some much needed exercise.

Swines! :mad:

16. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Walking is good exercise, Steve, and may help not just with some weight loss but also in scoping possible photo-locations & picture ideas ;). However, expecting folk to walk miles, on a wet day, carrying back home an item that weighs quite a bit but is packed in cardboard box 9x too large for the item in volumetric terms ... you get the idea.

Doing that with a taxi or bus ride is bad enough! Cheers, Oly

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

True. Walking is my main exercise. Which, considering both knees are knackered, is something! OK on the flat, slight slopes and certain staircases (the pitch affects my knees, for some reason), not so good on steep slopes and other staircases (the bridge over the railway at Staines station is just the right pitch to make them ache!).

As for photo ops - well, I always carry my LF1 in my jacket pocket, so my recent walks to and from Ashford hospital (don't ask :eek:) got me a couple of reasonable pictures of a family of swans on a small common, and of a few strange church buildings - have you seen the Sally Army HQ in Staines?

Plus, having to walk to the sorting office meant I passed some odd buildings owned by the water company, and coming back via Egham meant passing the Literary Institute, so they were places I revisited with the G5. Oh and got a reasonable pic of a Class 66 at Egham staion with my old Canon A1200 pocket camera. Which was nice. ;)

18. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Maybe he fancies you :)

Catriona likes this.
  19. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

GPS tracking has had an effect. I was expecting an Amazon delivery and saw the van lost on our road. We have house names not numbers and longish drives (not posh, just rural) so I intercepted him and he had my parcel sure enough. He insisted on walking onto our property before he gave it to me and clicked his delivery gadget.

20. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

He needed to make sure he was delivering it to the property. He could have insisted on leaving it with someone in the house.
    After all anyone could intercept him in the road a say the parcel was for them.

mediaman likes this.