1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agfa 'Ortho' Document film experiments

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by PeteE, Apr 13, 2020.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I found a cassette of 07/1989 Dated Agfa 'Ortho' Document Copying Film in my fridge, given from a Studio Photographer years ago -- he had Used it and Cut it but there was some left for experiments. I shot a short length at 25 ASA and 12 ASA and developed in my Old Dark Brown RODINAL 1+50 for 11 mins @ 20oC -- the film leader looked very Under-Developed but the negs scanned well -- Next test I loaded my free 'Saved - From - The -Dump Yashica FR-1 and used the Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 T* off my also Free 'Saved-From -The- Dump Contax RTS II Quartz as the 50mm f1.9 Yashinon DB lens is now faulty. I made the Rodinal slightly stronger this time.
    Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar T* @ f2.8
    [​IMG]Yashica FR-1 with Agfa ORTHO experiments by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar T* at f1.4
    Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar T* at f4

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Very cool, Pete, and great pics :) FWIW, I purchased a roll of
    Ilford's new "Ortho" film in January (this year) and shot it and, luckily, got it
    processed before everything shut down :). Also, I think, I posted them here, somewhere ;)

Cheers,
    Jack

3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I got a bit of CASH for my 83rd Birthday on April 10th so I may 'treat' myself to some 'FRESH FILM' that Ilford ORTHO !! Ha Ha ! I will not know what to do with FRESH FILM !

4. Done_rundleCams

Belated Happy Birthday wishes, Pete, and my birthday is exactly two weeks after yours, although, I'm only a young pup of 66 ;) Have fun
    with your Fresh Film :D

Cheers,

Jack

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

How long do you think you can risk leaving it to become old film, Pete?

And of course happy birthday!

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Love the rendering of ortho film. I was brought up on Selochrome and velochome before they went "Pan" but then I am a couple of years older than You
    :D
    Happy 83rd

7. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Yes -- I used to Cycle round Chemist's Shops and ask " Do you have any Outdated Films you can sell me for 'Experiments' as an Impoverished Schoolboy? " and they would sell me ORTHO 'Selochrome' at 6 Old Pence a 120 roll -- that is 2.5 New Pence ! Wish film was THAT price NOW -- Ha ha !!

8. Terrywoodenpic

I wish cameras were the price they were then, in 1951 I bought an immaculate 1 /4 plate TP ruby reflex with Ross Xpress lens for £4.50 True that they were obsolescent then, but still used by some rural press men. And that was more than a weeks wages for a farm labourer, in west wales, where we had our farm. A fact noted by my step father at the "waste" of so much money.

He never knew that I paid over £27 for an ensign selfix 16-20 with Ross Xpress lens the following year. as I had part exchanged, in my favour, a microscope given to me by my God Father. so I was able to add the ERC, a set of filters, lens hood, a retail pack of film and a large tin of Kodak Microdol developer powder. this is one of the first pictures taken with it ( reproduced from a small print that I made at the time)

westwood-miles-heseldine.jpg

Done_rundleCams and AndyTake2 like this.
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Fresh means only five years past the expiry date in your case:).

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I often bought expired Kodachrome, it was actually better than fresh stock imho!

11. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Terry -- Your Ensign Selfix 16/20 with 75mm f3,5 Ross Xpres was DEARER than MINE -- I got on from a shop in Aldgate East London after searching as Cameras were like Gold Dust in the 1950's -- mine was £ 24 - 10 - 3d and I paid it off at 5 Shillings a week !
    Here is one I took in 1957 in BERLIN when I was there in the RAMC at BMH Berlin on Agfa Isopan film -- the Russian War Memorial in the British Sector and the tanks still had bodies inside taken off the road from the street fighting by the Russians so the Story Goes and I went back there 60 years later with an Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model I to try to take the SAME photo but the TREES had grown up so much in 60 years I could not get the same angle.
    Russian War Memorial in Brit Sector 1956 01.jpg

12. Terrywoodenpic

I got mine in a local chemist/ Photography shop in Wellington Shropshire so I expect it was the going rate at the time. ( a big chunk was Purchase tax as cameras were classed as luxury items.
    I joined the Artillerey two years later and was sent to Hong Kong and then back to Dortmund Germany In Hong Kong I got an Agfa Sollinette 2 with soligor lens. As it fitted in my battledress pocket rather better.

Selfie wwith sollinette 2
    terrybwcopy.JPG

13. Done_rundleCams

So, Terry, if my number are correct and that photo was taken in May of 1954, I would have been one month old :eek: .... ;)

And, cracking photos, BTW :)

Cheers,

jack

Terrywoodenpic likes this.