1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Advice on ye olde S5000 (and possible upgrade advice!)

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by madhopper, Jun 15, 2007.

1. madhopper

madhopper Member

Hi guys, I've come here mainly for help with my Fuji..

I've had it for some years now, and have used it almost exclusively for holiday snaps and family occasions, which unfortunately means it hasn't been brought out as often as I'd like I'm ashamed to say. There is a reason for this, however, that being before I had taken time to read about my baby, some clever sod threw out my manual and cd with the trash! :(

Despite this, the camera does its job well, and I get some quality photos, by my standards anyway. :D The only problem (if I can call it that) is that I can now get the same quality from my camera phone, which is also 3 mp, which even now makes me smile, but also feel strangely depressed.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Before I start to ramble too much, the point is this. I recently wanted to start taking more 'specialized' photos with the S5000, but quickly hit a brick wall. At high levels of zoom it's almost impossible for me to get a decent focus, and I'm even more distressed after visiting sites like this one to see people capturing absolutely beautiful close up 'macro' (am I right?) pictures of the fantastic wildlife and post-rain moments in their backyard.

Now, I don't think that the S5000 is by any means obsolete, and the fact that I can get the same quality from a phone camera is most likely down to my own ignorance about the camera's functions more than anything about the camera itself. In short, is it possible to set up my S5000 to get a quality bug or flower photo? If not, I've read that the S6500 is a pretty good wildlife/sports camera, and is it worth considering as an upgrade if I want to start taking bug pics on a budget? If not, is there such a camera on a budget?

As an FYI for suggestions, I have ALWAYS preferred the SLR look, I think just because they're more comfortabe and natural in the hand, and every man and woman in my family has gone with the SLR since my childhood, and I like the 'snap-delete' feature of digital cameras too. I just don't have the money to buy a real DSLR... So I'm pretty sure that unless there is a compact out there that's going to do exactly what I want, I'm looking for another bridge camera in the price range of the S6500.

Thanks in advance for any tips for the S5000, or new camera advice!

Chris

2. Moos3h

Moos3h Well-Known Member

Hi there!

I would suspect there's a lot more life in the ol' dawg than might immediately be apparent.

I think there's a few areas that need looking at.

Firstly, what modes do you shoot in? If you're using fully auto, then have a go with the creative shooting modes, or the Tv / Av (Time Value / Aperture Value) modes:

+ Tv Mode - High number (e.g. 1000) - this is good for fast action shots, anything where you want the moment frozen in time. Also useful for instances where you are zooming a lot, to minimize the effect of camera shake.

+ Tv Mode - Low number (e.g. 20) - this is good for instances where you'd like to introduce blur into your shots, e.g. a nice waterfall etc. Remember that you will need to use a tripod as your own movement or shake will cause a lack of sharpness.

+ Av Mode - High number (e.g. f18) - this gives you a good 'depth of field', allowing for more of the shot to remain in focus - excellent for pictures of landscapes etc. where you don't really want anything to appear out of focus or undefined.

+ Av Mode - Low number (e.g. f4) - this gives a very shallow depth of field, meaning that the point marked as in focus will be sharp, but other things in the frame that are further away will blur nicely. This is often used in flower pictures (such as in my gallery) where you don't really want an intrusive background to take away from the shot.

If you camera has a Macro mode, experiment with this as it will allow you to focus much closer to the subject, and get nicer photos by filling the frame.

Ultimately, if you want to upgrade, the 6500 is a good bridge camera, but for a shade more you could pick up a dSLR, something like the Pentax models which can be found for as little as £229.99!

Cheers,
    James

3. madhopper

madhopper Member

Hi James, Just been practising and I've seen a noted improvement in the quality of my close ups, so thanks! :D

Unfortunately now I have another problem, the pictures have become REALLY dark :D

Also I got my macro lens free with the camera but never used it until a few days ago. With zoom, the pictures become both dark AND blurry.. I'm wondering if the fact that the last 2 days have been overcast and cloudy may have anything to do with the underexposure?

On a final note, I looked up pentax, and the cheapest DSLR I could find was the K100d for £270. It got some good reviews so I'll definitely consider it.

Thanks again for the help! I'm now on my way to becoming a pro photographer! :cool: ;)

Chris

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

You should be able to download a PDF of the manual for the S5000 here . (You'll need the serial number to register.)

5. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Has your camera phone also got a 10x zoom, then? I don't think you are comparing like for like, surely the S5000 is a lot more versatile than a camera phone?

As a matter of interest, could you not download a copy of your camera's instruction manual from the internet? Try http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/technical/folder.pl?id=197

Don't worry too much about the camera being only 3MP, you can easily print A4 pictures from this resolution, indeed, with a little bit of interpolation, A3s are possible. If you only want the camera for family snaps, 7x5 or 6x4, 3MP is plenty. Don't be fooled by the chase for more and more pixels, it depends entirely on what you want to do with your pictures.

As for quality flower or bug pictures, I believe the S5000 focuses very close, so try mounting it on a tripod and play with it.

6. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Not being pedantic here but I had an S5000 for a few years (Just gave it to my father) and it goes up to 6mp! ;)

7. sillyconguru

sillyconguru Well-Known Member

It can output 6MP images but it only has a 3MP sensor. I have a S5000 and I never shoot at 6MP (not that I use it much nowadays), the images at this resolution contain no more detail than those shot at 3MP. The 3MP images from this camera uprezzed in PS to 6MP look better than 6MP images straight from the camera.

8. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I never used it at 6mp either, but I only used it for images to be viewed online, and I remembered it going up to 6mp! :D

9. madhopper

madhopper Member

Thanks guys, I found the pdf manual on the site, so I'll start practising, and no of course my phone camera doesn't quite have the optical zoom capabilities of my fuji, it just misses the mark.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway, thanks for the basic advice, now I can get more focus with my zoomed photos I've got more motivated, so I'll get stuck into the manual and then see if I have any talent to go with the camera! Once I've practised a little I'll come back and see what you guys think (lucky you ;))

Cheers