1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Advice on which Lens to choose for canon 7d mark ii :D

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Helen Norris, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Helen Norris

Helen Norris Member

Hi all.

New to the forum here and after some advice if possible.

So im getting back into photography after some few years out and think im set on the Canon 7d mark ii.

What I cant decide on is which lens to get.

Im torn between the canon 70-200 f.28 ii and the canon 100-400 ii.

I mostly want to focus on sports and wildlife with the odd bit of macro photography.

What would you guys recommend I get to get back into photography?

Thanks all

Helen

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

100-400 II - it's a brilliant lens, and much more suited to sports and wildlife UNLESS low light is absolutely key.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Neither of those will be any good for macro. I agree with @Benchista especially now that the mark ii isn't a trombone zoom.

Neither of those lenses is a practical 'walk about' lens either if you wanted to just take photographs with friends, family, events, etc. So you'll probably find one lens isn't going to be enough, that might affect your budget, but depending on how important the macro is to you, keep that in mind.

4. Helen Norris

Helen Norris Member

Fantastic.

I have no clue if low light is going to key as yet hehe. But I do love the look of the lens.

I plan to get a good tripod as well but does it still perform well handheld? Xx

5. Helen Norris

Helen Norris Member

Hey.

Yeah sorry, I should have said, I do plan to get another lens for macro photography, didnt realise I didnt put that in. DOH.

Plan to eventually get a smaller lens also I think for the above type of events.

My main aim is wildlife, dog agility, birds of prey and sports.

Do you think it would fit the bill? X

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's a heavy beast, but so is the 70-200mm f2.8. I can happily use the 100-400 L handheld, but I'm a big bloke. A decent monopod is a versatile, mobile option.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I use a 7d2 and 100-400L mkii for birds of prey. It also supports Canon's 1.4x extender as well.

8. Helen Norris

Helen Norris Member

Fab. Thanks so much.

A monopod sounds perfect. Ill have to pick myself one up

Really excited to get back into it. Got alot to learn again though.

Will be taking alot of kitesurfing pics and kite buggying pics also. So hopefully it will be spot on for that to. :D

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If I was buying new today I'd get the 7Dii and the 100-400 ii. It will cover most of what you want to do. A monopod is useful particularly if you are standing watching because it will take the weight. I have a simple tilting head on mine, some people use a small ball head. Screwing a monopod directly into the lens tripod bush I found a bit awkward to use.

10. Helen Norris

Helen Norris Member

Fantastic. Its the lens I keep coming back to and have found them both quite resonably priced.

Fab. Any good monopods you guys would recommend?

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Look for a monopod with a decent diameter lower section. It will flex less. I use a Velbon RUP-V40 with a Manfrotto 234RC pivoting head.

Helen Norris likes this.
  12. PeteRob

I bought a steel manfrotto - good for beating bracken but weighs a fair bit.

13. Helen Norris

Helen Norris Member

Do you guys feel I would see a huge differance between the two inregards to there speed when photographing dog agility etc etc? X

14. PeteRob

Putting the camera on any kind of stand makes it less manouverable. I'd see how you get on with the camera first. If you have to stand for long periods holding the camera at the ready then it gets tiring and you wobble. If you are picking it up, shooting, then putting it down that is not an issue. Depends on how strong you are too!

15. Helen Norris

Helen Norris Member

Brillant thanks so so much. X c

16. Tinki

Tinki Member

If I were you, I'd get two lenses and be set for a long time:
    1. Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS - best all around lens at very attractive price (recently $600 refurbished at Canon site).
    2. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - best telephoto zoom lens barred none.
    The two purchased together exceed your $2K budget by $500 but it will be worth it. Later when you decide to need more reach, you can get a 1.4x III extender for # 2 lens...but you won't need it right away.