1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe deactivating Photoshop remotely

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by velocette, Aug 13, 2019.

1. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

When Adobe moved Photoshop to the CC model to a friend of mine purchased one of the last stand alone versions from an American company as it was no longer available in Europe. He paid full market price, registered it and has used it happily for the last 5 year installing all the final updates until they ceased. He has also a British sourced stand alone copy of Lightroom.

This week on Starting Photoshop a message appeared saying that his was a counterfeit copy and that he had 40 days to move to a subscription version or his copy will be deactivated and further steps of a legal manor may be started.
    This is not a great problem for him as he's been migrating to Capture One and switches between that and Lightroom using Photoshop very infrequently.

It interested me though as to whether, and how Adobe can after 5 years remotely deactivate a copy of it's software that's 5 years old and receives no updates, via 'updates'?. Does anyone know if this is Is this possible? It's obviously possible on the CC version that I currently subscribe to but an older 'remote' version that no longer receives updates? Any thoughts?

Peter

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Sounds like some malware has got on his disk. I'd update the antivirus (he does have anti-virus installed, doesn't he) and run a scan.

3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It possibly does check back to Adobe for updates as it always did, even if updates are no longer available ( why wouldn't it?)
    However if it were not connected to the internet they could not deactivate it.
    It might be an empty threat???

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sounds odd. There is a licence manager runs in the background on my mac. It just informed me of updates available for my CC versions but it also shows my standalone LR 6.14. Can he log on to his adobe account? That should show his licences.