1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe Bridge Search Function Throwing Up Odd Results

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Geren, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

For reasons I won't go into now I was searching for an image I know I made as part of a project based around the word 'jelly' (think it was looking for a response to the daily theme of 'disgusted' actually). I couldn't remember when the project had been started so in Bridge, I searched for 'jelly', expecting to see either a folder, or other images with that tag appear in the results. Instead I got a load of random images, several in train stations, a snap of my daughter taken on a camping trip a picture of a friend's daughter horseriding and a bunch of files ending in .ims. These last, which won't open, at least had the word 'jelly' embedded in the name somehwere. None of the others did. None of the files I'd expected to see popped up at all.

Thinking it was a one-off, this morning I was looking for the shot I took of poppies in northern France, to use as a facebook banner. Put 'poppies' into the bridge search bar. It brought up two stills from a timelapse I'd made about mould growing on a yoghurt pot, one birthday snap of a child not called Poppy from 2009 and a picture of a birthday cake with no poppies on. The timelapse has several weeks worth of images - quite why only two of them appeared in the results I don't know. I mean it's odd that two did, but given they were simply saved out of camera and not renamed I'd have expected either none or all of them to be there.

Is anyone else getting odd results from Bridge? Does anyone have any ideas why I am getting them?

2. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Sounds like some of the indexes have got corrupted , it takes ages to complete but it may be time to let bridge re index your drive or image folder.

Edit: Remember to include sub folders in the index. (Can't remember the exact wording)

Geren likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Bridge can search using it's own index or it can ask Windows to do it, and the Windows search may be amazing or utterly terrible, but the first thing to check is which one is it using.

upload_2021-11-7_23-48-5.png

Geren likes this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm on a Mac so mine doesn't look quite like that but it was using Spotlight Search This Computer which is what I'd have expected. I think I may have to try the re-indexing as Keith suggested. BAh.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I must say I find Windows search very good.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I went into mine, on a mac and newly updated to the last version, out of curiosity but I couldn’t figure out how the search engine worked.

I use LR for my photos. I only open Bridge if I want to edit something, usually someone else’s without the phaff of adding and removing it from the LR catalogue. I only discovered last week that if I want to use ACR to edit something (in that case Zou’s experimental landscape in Appraisal) I have to go to Bridge if I want control over how the ACR edit’s are saved

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I tried a few searches on my machine and it looks like it's searching file name and all metadata, so I had matches for filenames, title, tags, description, etc. which seems correct. Didn't get anything spurious but as you say, different OS so maybe not relevant. Sorry!

zx9r likes this.