1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Adaptors for Pentax lenses

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by cathidaw, Feb 26, 2013.

1. cathidaw

cathidaw Well-Known Member

wow , sorry boys. This is my first week on the site and I dont want to cause trouble.
    Thanks for all the advice. i KNOW WHERE TO COM E NOW.
    I shall live on those dratted beans and save up for an ebay DSLR body

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^ You haven't caused any trouble, just some members enjoy a good argument/reasoned discussion.:)

3. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

I don't have any experience of drugs, gang-life, or crime either - but I know they are equally daft by reading of the experiences of the people who have tried.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

[HR][/HR]

It's rare to find someone who takes such pride in their own ignorance.

Thing id you have no helpful experience you can bring to this debate, only misinformed ignorance as you have no idea about how easy or difficult it is to use lenses by adaptor on an EOS. An apology to the OP for being unhelpful and misleading would be in order.

5. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Ever charming Nick - you just have a way with people. Worth the entertainment just to get you started:cool:

To the OP - my personal apologies if I have offended you by disagreeing with Benchista. He tends to get abusive if people don't agree with him all the time and calls us things like "ignorant" and 'ill-informed" in open Forum. I shouldn't argue with him and I am sorry.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Always good for photo-ops and always well done with Pentax lenses, albeit never on a Canon camera :D As for the PK lenses on Canon EF body ..... I would say;

caveat emptor and, if ya do, carpe diem (I believe ;))

Cheers,

Jack

7. cathidaw

Thanks for all the advice. it helped me to decide that an adaptor was not what I needed for my Canon.
    Instead it was a new Pentax K5 II with an extra lens.
    I am still getting used to the delights of this lovely weighty creature so any tips will be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  8. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Point the round tube like thing away from you! :D I'm sure you will enjoy your K5ii immensely, it is a very capable camera.

9. cathidaw

Now... anyone know where I can find the Black and white mode on this creature?
    I've trawled the handbook, which is not much help.

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

have you tried digital filters? I'm sat eating my breakfast so can't check but I seem to remember that's where it is on my K3

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

ok on my k3 the setting for mono is on the 4 way control pad (surrounding the ok button). You press the right controller and then select the appropriate setting. On the K3 it's marked as bw. You can then fine tune this further by pressing the info button. Hope this helps.
    You can us the digital filter method on images you've already taken.

12. Monobod

The K-5 is similar, so should be all the same. TBH, if you are serious about monochrome, you will get better results from software conversions, such as Channel Mixer is PS or for a real clincher, Silver Efex Pro from NIK (via Google).

Then of course, you will need an Epson printer with the four blacks and some Epson Archival Matt paper..........:)

13. cathidaw

Thanks for all help-it was easy to find the b/w programme on my canon
    Suggestions for the right printer--4 blacks?- will be helpful
    I use a canon printer-and also channel mixer, but am sometimes plagued - unexpectedly- with a magenta cast. so in New Year aim to buy the right printer,
    (It was easy with film which I sometimes use.- THOSE SO SPARKLING BLACKS)
    I shall google Silver efex Pro.too.
    Appreciate your advice.

14. Monobod

It is an accepted truth that Epson printers are the best for monochrome. They use Photo Black for lustre and glossy paper and Matt black for Matt papers, but they also have light black and light light black, which are two differing greys. As such they do not have to mix colours to obtain the range of monochrome tones, except for a small amount sometimes. In this way they avoid the colour casts found with some other printers.

They are also, of course, absolutely superb at coloured images too.

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The £570 R3000 may have four blacks, but the £139 P59, which is still stretching my budget at the moment, does not.

16. Monobod

I know the feeling, but sadly one gets what one pays for. If monochrome is a serious issue for you, you will need the four blacks. Otherwise, perhaps use a third party printer on the web.

17. steveandthedogs

Too true.
    Wonder if they'll ever bring out an A4 version with oh, three blacks?

Talking of A4, does anyone know if the Epson P50 has been discontinued? It's knocking on a bit for a modern electrical thing and seems to have disappeared from some shops.
    Need a need printer and the only other one that gets good reviews is the Canon ip7250.

18. cathidaw

Thanks. Any ideas about a third party printer-'this is a way of saying I dont know what you mean'
    Or would an Epson R 300 suit me better as I can't run to an R3000 'til my boat comes in.

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Funny, I thought the Canon with no less than five black inks was supposed to be better...

20. steveandthedogs

"Send 'em off to the professional labs".

I don't think you'll get a new r300.