1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessories

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by GeoffR, Nov 16, 2021.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interesting article in this weeks mag on accessories, Normally I would dismiss such an article because most of the items suggested are of no real interest but this time there are some really interesting things in there. The Sun/Moon locator App for example could be useful and is cheap. Some of the others I still wouldn't give house room but I am sure other people are looking for some of the things suggested.

However the point is, what do you think the author/s missed?

For me the most useful things I carry are actually spare parts, finder eyepieces specifically, a throw back to the F4 where they were easily lost. I haven't lost one from a DSLR because Nikon found a way to stop them unscrewing but I still carry one or two, likewise hot shoe covers, strap D rings etc. The other things I find invaluable are card cases, I have one that holds XQD and CF cards and others for just CF cards, I will be ordering another XQD case now that I have six spare cards.

Thoughts?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Only that you remind me I’ve got to fix the eyepiece on my Fuji XH-1 - stupidest design I ever saw.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The most useful accessory, and the hardest to find, is on the cover - somebody to carry all the kit you might want to take all the way to the top of a hill. I've already got a rubber 'air blower' and a small soft brush (now both about 40 years old), and the filters I need, so the rest isn't of much interest to me. But I know that I am not a typical AP reader, or at least not the type the magazine's advertisers are interest in.

To prove that I have looked at the article(s), on page 56 we are warned that if using an aluminium (alloy) tripod 'aluminium is prone to rust'. Rust is iron oxide and is red/brown, whereas aluminium oxide is white... It is perhaps best to rinse the parts that have been in salt water with some tap water immediately after use - with this precaution aluminium alloy should last well.

Petrochemist likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I did wonder who the proof reader had been.

The dates for Hattie Jacques are also wrong, she was born in 1922, not 1924 as stated on page 3.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Hattie Jacques was on Page 3!!??? :eek::D

Zou likes this.
  6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Aluminium tends to corrode rather than rust. but a vast majority of tripods are hard anodised and are pretty much corrosion proof. However the interiors of the tubes are not well protected and can corrode to a white surface powder if sea water gets in. I have been using Aluminium tripods all my life (76) with the exception of a few wooden ones, and have never had a corrosion problem with any of them.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Indeed, I thought she might have enjoyed the idea, she is fully clothed.

8. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Rusting is a form of corrosion but the term only applies to ferrous materials (Iron/Steel). Rust specifically refers to red iron oxide [hydrated Iron (III) oxide]. Rust is highly porous, tending to encourage oxidation of material under the rust.

When aluminium oxidise it forms an inert layer that actually protects the aluminium from oxidation.
    Without this layer aluminium will corrode through in relatively short time being highly reactive.
    Mercury will remove the oxide layer and cause aluminium to corrode through - trace mercury content has caused some major chemical disasters. There may be compounds in salt water that have similar effects, but I suspect it's more a case of bare aluminium reacting with chlorine. Aluminium chloride does not provide a protective layer.
    Anodising is a electrochemical process to thicken the oxide layer, basically oxidising a little more of the aluminium so it's actually forced oxidation/corrosion.

FWIW Black Iron oxide as produced on forged iron tends to protect the metal underneath as well but not as effectively as the aluminium oxide.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Rust is the effective cutting/polishing agent in jewellers rouge.
    So rust is far from useless.
    Aluminium oxides are also used as an abrasive. But with far greater cutting power.

Corrundum Rubies and saphires are also composed of aluminium oxide.

Petrochemist likes this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Aluminium oxide is a useful abrasive. My experience of aluminium has been in large quantities, usually riveted or bonded together to make a light strong structure. We tried to avoid corrosion, heating the whole structure to around 50c proved to be very effective.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Underrated post that. :D

beatnik69 likes this.
  12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It was a very good, and surprising, photograph of Hattie. Fully deserved a prime position.

beatnik69, GeoffR and Zou like this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I thought that a lot the mag was devoted to thinly disguised ads.

14. Chester AP

I think it might be more accurate to call it the annual 'Christmas present ideas' issue.
    Personally, I would prefer much of the space to be used for readers' pictures - perhaps more of the APOY entries should be in the magazine, and fifty or sixty from each round could be spread over 4 issues instead of only a few being squeezed into one issue.

zx9r likes this.
  15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have not bought anything in the black Friday sales.
    I will not buy anything in the New year sales either.

Geren likes this.
  16. Chester AP

There is a difference between buying what you need and buying what you want, and understanding this may be a sign of maturity, in contrast to constant desire for new toys.