1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Acceptance by Festival International de Vidéo Danse de Bourgogne

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Jem Raid, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Jem Raid

Jem Raid In The Darkroom

Hello all,

Earlier this year I came across a call for video art from the festival above, they wanted stuff under the title of 'Danse Macabre' but with a very wide remit as to content.

I put this together in early February and sent them a link not expecting to hear from them.

The last vestiges of hope

I thought of dance, my poses are dance related, I am nearer to death than I am to my birth. I used what I see around me, what I am familiar with for my images and altered and merged them and incorporated my own image into these.

Always at the back of my mind as I created the images was the thought that this work ephemeral though it might be could very well survive my own demise. I wanted above all to create something that gave hope with beauty.

The audio track was made using a recording made outside our house and using a drone synthesizer I made myself.

Fossil image in the last sequence with the kind permission of James Woollen.
    All other images made by me and of myself

7 minutes 18 seconds
    HD 720p MP4
    Photographs edited in Photoshop
    Video created in Cyberlink Power Director 14 Ultra
    Audio created using Ray Wilson's 'Weird sound generator' synthesizer circuit, which I constructed myself
    Audio edited using Audacity

It will be screened in late April early May.

Cheers - Jem

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jem,

Congratulations. Video/dissolve is not a medium I normally like but I can certainly see why they accepted it.

Cheers,

R.

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Fascinating, and congratulations indeed. I had no knowledge that this stuff existed until you joined the forum. I'm not sure if I like it or not really, but it is compelling once you start watching. Well done.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Congratulations certainly. The festival means nothing to me what so ever, however to get a video chosen for any such thing for a screening is a good achievement i'd say. I would also say it is not quite my cup of tea either, but can appreciate the work that must have gone in to making it.
    My daughter is just in the process of making a short film for A level using video/still photography on iMovie and looking at the work she has to do with that looks bad enough and it is no where near as complex as yours.
    Well done.

5. Jem Raid

Jem Raid In The Darkroom

Hello Roger,

Thanks a lot for looking at it and for your comment, I'm grateful to you.

One thing that concerned me about doing this was can it be considered a video. I got a screening at a Gallery in Sheffield earlier this year, they have coffee and biscuits evenings so that artists can get together for a chat. I was fortunate enough to meet Tyler Mason-Mellings he's an MA student and is doing a video course, he and his fellow students had been to see my effort and he wanted to meet me for a chat.

I used the opportunity to ask if he and they thought my stuff was a video, he was quite adamant in affirming that they all accepted it as a video for which I was truly grateful. I have the strongest inclination that you will all be hearing much more about Tyler in the not too distant future. He is an exceptional person steeped in the history of art and its pratice and will be at the cutting edge of image making with his motivation and talent.

That conversation set me free to show the stuff I'd already done and to make more in response to the calls for video art which pop up all over the world.

I find the whole thing utterly fascinating :)

Cheers - Jem

6. Jem Raid

Jem Raid In The Darkroom

Hello Craig,

Many thanks for the nice comment good of you, it's taken me 6/7 years to get to where I am today. One of those things that starts off with one thing and ends up with something completely different, it's what I love most about artistic creation. In the beginning I taught myself to make montages with a little help from Catherine McIntyre who told me to use the Pen tool and find out about feathering stuff. She said tutorials are mostly pointless the best way is to want to do something and fiddle with Ps until you find out how, that way it goes in and stays there.

I knew that I'd 'arrived' one day about eighteen months later when she said this in a message, "It's great you're reaching into yourself for something far more expressive and exciting (than straight photography) And what a brilliant thing it is, an artistic development - it's the best thing one can possibly do with one's time, imho! Enjoy!" I treasure these words.

Hello Nigel,

Nice of you to make a comment I'm grateful.

That's very interesting about your daughter, I do hope she succeeds. I may be able if you don't mind to make a couple of suggestions through my own experience. I started using Movie Maker in Win 8.1, it's OK but Windows Movie Maker 6 is much better and can be downloaded here: http://movies.blainesville.com/2010/05/installing-windows-movie-maker-60-on.html

She would be able to make long cross fades between her movies and her still images, which you can't in Movie Maker, click and hold on a clip and drag it over the previous one.

There is also a forum here dedicated to all the Windows movie maker programs: http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ acres of posts and advice :)

Love to hear more about her progress.

Cheers both - Jem

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Thanks Jem. I assume windows movie maker is for just windows? She is using a Mac hence iMovie. Basically it is for her A Level photography final piece. It is incorporating her development work so far and video and stills taken specifically for the piece. There will be a photographic element to it too, a poster advertising the film, so it is 2 pronged. It is odd, based around a surreal scene and involved us moving al sorts of furniture mirrors, tables an old gramophone etc to some woods near us and 3 of her friends wearing latex masks sometimes at night being lit with car headlights and LED lighting only, and some others at dusk. TBH it was quite good fun helping her. She has never tried editing video before so it has been a learning curve. I have found some old music from my vinyl collection, and she is making some of her own on garageband on the Mac. Looking good so far (for her level anyway).

8. Jem Raid

Jem Raid In The Darkroom

Hello Nigel,

I had a look at some screenshots of iMovie it looks very similar to the Windows offerings and all she needs to create what you describe.

She certainly has a vivid imagination and the 'push' needed to see it through to completion, it's great to see someone young with the talent to do something like this. Her ideas will stay with her and be a good grounding for her future artistic endeavours.

Many thanks for taking the time to explain, if the movie goes onto YT or Vimeo I'd love to see it.

Cheers - Jem

9. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Congratulations Jem, that's very exciting news!
    Keep working hard and you will see many more recognitions.
    Cheers,
    Luis

10. Jem Raid

Jem Raid In The Darkroom

Hello Luis,

Many thanks for your support and encouragement, your right about the hard work it maybe a Victorian value but it does bring its own rewards.

Turned my computer on this morning to find that 'Last vestiges' has been accepted by Filmideo 2016, in New Jersey.

Cheers - Jem

luisport likes this.
  11. Jem Raid

Jem Raid In The Darkroom

Hello all,

I pleased to say that my video has been chosen as the 'favourite of the week' on the Numeridanse.tv web site

http://www.numeridanse.tv/en/collections/116_video-dance-center-of-burgundy/

I've had some screenings of other videos but this was the one I wanted the most
    It will go onto Mexico and to China and then remain in their archives

I feel that it is the culmination of my last 6 years beginning with teaching myself digital art montage and ending up, though I didn't know it at the time with my videos.

Cheers - Jem

12. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Congratulations, Jem!

13. Jem Raid

Jem Raid In The Darkroom

Thanks Alex,

Nice of you to say so.

I've another exhibition coming up in Sheffield and have been working on that my apologies for the late reply.

Cheers - Jem