1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

About Time We Had a Bumblebee Post

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by MJB, Jun 5, 2019.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

And .. NOT MY PHOTO .. but I was standing next to the best photographer in our house when she took this.

We later read The Times Nature Diary on Saturday where it was written - sub article "furry foragers" by Jonathan Tulloch:

"Bumblebees ... are ideally adapted to our climate; not only does their thick fur keep them warm, but an oily substance renders them waterproof."

This was one of several very sad white-tipped bumblebees clinging on for dear life to these flowers in the walled garden at Norton Priory last week. I tried for a head-on of one looking over the top of a flower but I missed the focus completely.

I think the mortality rate for all kinds of bee must have been high with the rain we have had the last couple of weeks.

bumble-bee - not mine.jpg

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

A couple more from me.
    ap bumble 2.jpg ap bumble bee on dandelion.jpg

3. James Quinn

James Quinn Active Member

Some lovely photos here!

I got some on Monday. Thoroughly inadequate in comparison but I've only been doing photography for a couple of months so it's all a learning curve for me. This was actually my first evening trying to shoot using full manual mode. I bought a tripod yesterday so hopefully will be able to get some nicer, clearer shots next time I go out looking for bees...

[​IMG]IMG_0246 by James Quinn, on Flickr
    [​IMG]

4. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Stops raining, I am sorry no cannot understand this concept!!! Don

Dan S and Catriona like this.
  5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Haha, yes, each time I go into my garden with the camera it starts!

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't think I have a single bumble bee photograph. At least, not that I can think of. I'll have to recitfy that! Or at least, try.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

It looks like there might be some sun today, it was shining when I left this morning, for how long though...?

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Absolute dearth of bees around here. A month ago there was a white-tip nest in next door's attic.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Looking out the window as I type the dirty clouds suggest not much longer...:rolleyes:

10. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I wish I had a window :(
    still, longest day tomorrow :)

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I shouldn't worry about it - some of us have been at it for years and still don't seem to learn very quickly... :oops:;)

And good luck with the bees - the ones around here spend about half a second or so per bloom before flitting to the next one!

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not a bumblebee...

30374ces.jpg

...but going by its yellow coating, certainly a major pollinator!

Dan S likes this.
  13. Aspadora

Aspadora Well-Known Member

My attention was recently drawn to this thread because of a recent post I made, and I have to say some of these bee images are so great to look at. Below is one I took over the weekend, but has been re-composed thanks to the very helpful critiques from forum members :)

[​IMG]A Bee Collecting Pollen by Michael, on Flickr

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Looks familiar, can't not like it now can I...:D

Dan S and Aspadora like this.