1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

About Time We Had a Bumblebee Post

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by MJB, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Arrgggh! Done it again! Intended for the exhibition lounge, but knock yourselves out as I promise not to throw my toys out of the pram:)

P. S. I'm aware of the grass head sticking out from the bees back.

daft_biker likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, shame. Nice pic. I agree with you it would be nice to see more bumblebee pics.

4. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

My tayberry Bush is absolutely swarming with them at the moment.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've got special ones as well. Hebridean Bombus muscorum - The Moss Carder bee. We've got the white bottomed big variety, but I love this dainty one best.

Attached Files:

MJB and Dan S like this.
  6. Christopher David Tansley

Christopher David Tansley Well-Known Member

Dan S likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

One of my compost bins is out of action because bumble bees have taken up residence. I use the adjacent bin cautiously late evening. During the day a squadron of bees patrols the entrance with amazing random aerobatics. I have tried in vaign to photograph them in flight. Perhaps some trap focus might work.

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Found a Bumblebee nest yesterday in the woods - something had decided to try and dig into it.
    Not sure whether it was a dog (lots walking over there) or a badger, although this was in daylight.
    I hadn't seen a nest before - within the base of a cut-down tree. Took a couple of pictures, but they just showed how out of date my Panasonic TZ6 actually is...

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

A crepe shot, but it's a bee.

bee.jpg

S

James Quinn, Dan S, SXH and 1 other person like this.
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My attempt yesterday. This fellow was bumbling about and I just caught this one before he suddenly tumbled onto his back and down amonst the foliage of the geranium. I did see him crawl back up again, so I think he just needs a diet - or a rest!
    ap bumble on flower 2.jpg

James Quinn, SXH, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, most of mine are taken with my LF1, so not great...

20709ces.jpg

Get loads of them on our buddleia. And hover flies, wasps etc. Just very, very few butterflies. Butterfly bush? Hah!

James Quinn, Dan S and Catriona like this.
  12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

mixedbag101109.jpg

Lynn

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I didn't notice it and had to go back and check it :oops: maybe I should change my name to #unobservant Don.I do love a nice Bumble Bee and this year I aim to shoot some of the Sollitary Bee species (if it ever stops raining) I am going into respite care next week whilst my Heather recovers from a cataract operation. I can get into the marvelous gardens in my wheelchair so wish me luck with my Bee Hunt. :)
    Don

Dan S, steveandthedogs and MJB like this.
  14. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

it's really tricky taking photos of wildlife, there is wind to contend with. I got this after about 50 attempts

[​IMG]bee by Dan, on Flickr

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm impressed with your patience!...:D

Paid off though...:cool:

ascu75 likes this.
  16. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks :) Luckily those flowers seem to be very attractive to bees, although I was beginning to think the bees knew I was watching them at the end :D

ascu75 likes this.
  17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I have managed a few low quality shots and a short shaky video but nothing that I could put on here. My trouble is being in the wheelchair the bees don't play fair they are always the wrong place for me to get the shot.
    Don

18. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

You should put up a shot of a flower with a disclaimer like, "there was a bee here a minute ago, honest". :)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  19. PeteRob

The day I bought my macro lens - and gosh it was in 2010!

[​IMG]Hungry Bee by Pete, on Flickr

ascu75, James Quinn, MJB and 2 others like this.
  20. PeteRob

and this was last year - sorry about the imprinted name - is off my public photos. When it stops raining I'll make another attempt.

[​IMG]274A6705.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

ascu75, James Quinn, SXH and 4 others like this.