1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Abandoned

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by sagamore, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I did hear a theory once, that when you make a tight turn with a vessel, a ship leans to the outside of the turn, whilst a boat leans inwards.....Makes sense to me, but I'm no mariner, honest.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I suspect that the definition that a ship is a three-masted vessel, square-rigged on all three would have been appropriate up to about the mid-19thC. [anything else would have been a schooner, brig, barque, etc.] but had to be changed with the introduction of steam power.

S

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

That would be defying centrifugal force. Don't think it can happen

4. sagamore

sagamore Well-Known Member

This is a model of the barque Caithness-Shire. Barque rigged, of course, but still classified as a sailing ship. Ship rig, as you say is three or more square-rigged masts. There were three, four, and even one five-masted ship rigged vessels built. Whatever the rig, they all come under the banner of ships. The water is mudied by terms such as mail boat, boat train, banana boat, etc all of which were introduced by non-seafarers. Various official sources call ships "bottoms" :D I could tell the difference when I was about six years old, I have no idea why, as my parents always called them "boats!" Just to stir things up, I always refer to whales as "fish!":p and this always brings about screams of anguish!:D
    Bob Caithness-Shire (Medium).JPG

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. RovingMike

And I've never heard of a flyingship. Lots of thumping great flyingboats though. Lived on Sunderland station as a nipper and loved working the gun turrets.

6. Craig20264

But when making a fast, tight left turn in a speedboat, for instance, the left side of the boat would be forced lower in the water, than the right hand side. Now take a 400 metre container ship. The speeds needed to make the same thing happen, are not attainable on such a huge ship, thus it would lean slightly the other way?
    Centrifugal force would still act in the same way on both vessels occupants, only to a much greater extent on the speedboat.
    Disclaimer: I had a late night and my science could be flawed!

7. sagamore

sagamore Well-Known Member

Boats generally do lean in when turning - fact. Ships generally do lean out - fact!:)
    Motor bikes lean in when turning - fact. Double deck buses lean out - fact!:eek:
    Defying centrifugal force? or just a "flexirule?" :rolleyes:
    Bob
    (Speaking with a mind uncluded by fact!:D)

8. Craig20264

At the risk of weakening my own argument, motorbikes only lean inwards due to the weight shift of the rider, thus moving the centre of gravity. I suspect the difference lies in the surface the object in question is travelling on.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Centrifugal force is Mr Newton's First Law in action. Double decker buses lean out when they go round bends because the top is flexibly mounted to the road by the springs. Boats do the same for the same reason. As Craig pointed out, a rider moves his centre of gravity in to the turn to counter the inertia that would otherwise fling her off.

10. RovingMike

No it is actually where the CofG is and how the boat is turned. You were there earlier. With power and rudder from the rear, and a curved hull, there is more pressure in a left turn against the right side and a partial vacuum tow on the left, like an aerofoil effect, so the boat is pushed up on the right and sucked down on the left.

With CofG higher, centrifugal force will cancel that.