1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abandoned

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by sagamore, Jul 21, 2017.

1. sagamore

sagamore Well-Known Member

This is the remains of a model of the American clipper Young America, that I started building over 25 years ago. I lost interest in it, and made a wooden tray that I filled with sand, and pushed the model into it. It has been outside exposed to the elements for over 25 years, and this is how it appears today. The hull was plank-on-frame, and it says a lot for the glue, that it is still hanging together after all this time.
    Bob
    Young America wreck (Medium).JPG

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It's a great study in how full size boats rot!

3. sagamore

Ship - Not boat! :eek: Here is a real one. The old American square-rigger Jennie S. Barker, completed in the USA in 1869. Photographed in Grytviken, South Georgia, in 1983.
    Bob
    Jennie S. Barker Deck.JPG

Attached Files:

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Which begs the question. What is the difference between a ship and a boat?

5. EightBitTony

They're all boats to me.

6. sagamore

A ship always carries boats, boats never carry ships. But it is obvious if you think about it! Ever heard of:
    A battleboat,
    A flagboat,
    The tall boats race,
    A 74-gun boat of the line
    Abandon boat,
    Warboat.
    etc etc.
    Calling a ship a boat is rather like calling a trainspotter a trainspotter!:D
    Or calling a £4,000 digital DSLR camera a "box camera!"
    Or a steam locomative a "choo choo train!" :mad:

Most of the British public take a perverse delight in calling anything that floats a "boat" even if it is quarter of a million tons! :eek:

I am not all that bothered myself, but always point it out. Call them what you will! :cool:

Bob

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

So why would a ship have a bosun? ;)

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

However, even the RN refer to submarines as boats...

9. sagamore

Submarines have always been called "boats".
    Benchista. I can't be wound up on this! :) Call them whatever you want! :cool:
    Bob

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not attempting to wind you up, only having a joke. :)

P.S. Love your models. The wreck actually turned out really well in the end!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That makes sense because submarines don't carry ships. On the other hand various countries did build submarines that carried aeroplanes!

12. sagamore

Yes, I know!:) But the subject is such an "old chestnut" in nautical circles, and usually drags on forever, achieveing nothing and wasting time! :D
    But what do you think about the wreck of the Jennie S. Barker?
    Sadly, it was accidentally burned to the waterline shortly after by some misguided attempt to have a bomb disposal exercise on it!:mad:
    But I was pleased to have managed a visit before the disaster hapenned!
    Bob

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I particularly like the picture of the windlass - the wood rotting away inside the iron bands while still retaining the original shape.

Cheers, Jeff

14. sagamore

Yes, that was a mighty windlass, and extremely impressive when up close. The ship arrived there in 1906 for use as a storship to the whaling settlement.
    Bob

15. sagamore

Lady Elizabeth 2 (Medium).jpg
    Iron barque Lady Elizabeth, beached in Whalebone Cove, Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. Completed in 1879. Hulked at Stanley in 1913 after damage off Cape Horn. Photograph, 1982.
    Bob

16. EightBitTony

Seriously, get in touch with Getty.

17. sagamore

What is it with this Getty? All I have heard is that they are pretty ruthless with any unfortunate who accidentally uses their images!:(
    Bob

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It surprised me that in spite of living in a Navy town, being married to an ex-submariner and surrounded by friends and colleagues in the Navy, even working for a naval contractor for ten years, I hadn't ever really considered the difference between a ship and a boat. I knew of course that submarines are boats which probably explains why, as a child I didn't 'get' the phrase 'whatever floats your boat' because to my mind, boats, (submarines) didn't float so it made no sense!

EightBitTony and Roger Hicks like this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

They must float some of the time or you'd need a very long tube to get in and out. ;)

dream_police likes this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

True. Although the means of access did feel a bit like a long tube when I went onboard - a long tube with a ladder but I take your point!