1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaaagh!!..........help!

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by taxor, Dec 21, 2008.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Don't ask me why, but I've got this irresistible urge to re-cover my Mamiya C330f. It's got a perfectly fine factory standard leatherette covering, but a chance encounter with www.cameraleather.com got me thinking seriously about the 'Morocco red' leatherette covering. Please talk me out of it someone!

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Sacrilege. Morocco leather should be black. :rolleyes:

3. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Use a shoe type leather dye, to see if it looks weird/ok first. Show us the result. :)

4. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Wasn't this mentioned on here some years ago and someone re-covered a 500c?
    Anyone remember?

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

We've certainly discussed the site a time or two over the years. Can't recall if anyone has acually used them, though.

6. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

IIRC someone re-covered a Hasselblad with red leatherette - think it was on the old red forum and the search facility on here certainly doesn't help. or maybe I'm confused - it is Christmas after all..

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's quite possible. As you say, the current search facility doesn't really help. I've often fancied getting one of my cameras done. Sad, I know. :D

8. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I might be barking up completely the wrong tree, but wasn't that John, who sadly died a couple of years ago?

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Could well be, actually.

10. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I think your right - didn't he have a tatty one he was rebuilding or something and had it covered in blue?

11. TimF

Something like that. IIRC the project was to show that a Hassy outfit could be assembled quite cheaply by picking up stuff in need of some CLA and doing it yourself.

12. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

It was indeed our friend John Mac.
    To my memory he did a damn fine job too.

13. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I prefer green - But then again there is something seriously wrong with my mind ! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. Tickhiller

Tickhiller Well-Known Member

Excuse me gatecrashing a topic I don't know anything about - but I could not resist the title.
    I clicked on the link and found a whole new world away from digital.
    WOW do they really cover cameras in snakeskin!!!! Checkout that cobra skin!!!
    :eek:

15. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Betcha the cobra would prefer to be wearing it ... Suppose someone decided to cover a camera with your epidermis?

16. Tickhiller

Tickhiller Well-Known Member

It's a scary world you live in

17. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

At first I entertained this ridiculous notion that 'Morrocan Red' leatherette might make my C330 stand out a little too much for candid photography!! Using it, as I do, with a trigger grip and a metered chimney finder and sometimes a tele lens, it's difficult to imagine how it could stand out anymore than it already does. So, sod all those muted, tasteful pastel shades; I'm going tecnicolour!

18. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I don't blame you. I'd love to see it. I sent my old Minolta XD7 away for a service a while back and it came back with a new covering. If I'd have known I'd have asked for purple metallic :D

19. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Some Contax (139 IIRC) limited editions (?) came with 'Ox Blood' covering back in the 80's, you could even get 'never ready' cases in the same colour. I expect that covering will have disintegrated just the same as the normal black ones did leaving a dishevelled grey mess :(
    I ought to get my 137MA re-covered though what colour?

20. TimF

Good job my s/h black one is still pristine, eh! ;)