1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A900 AP Review

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by TallPaul, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

If it doesn't come with a free Koala then I'm not interested! :D

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

That's a bit of a mouthful though - I suggest you just call it 'Nikon'. [​IMG]

;)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry, that one's already in use for the "pants" category. ;)

4. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

This is one of the things I regard as a POSITIVE about the Sony system, as you can get dioptre lenses for the viewfinders. I find that the usual -1 to +2 etc dial to not be enough for my dodgy -4.25 eyes, but with the eyepiece corrector fitted I can get crystal clear vision.

Sony US webpage with eyepiece correctors

I find its much more comfortable as a glasses wearer to use the camera without my glasses and this adjustment on the viewfinder to match my prescription.

Of course its not all good, as Sony UK cannot supply their own Sony accessories (I called them directly to ask) so you have to source from eBay, but at least the option is there!

I would agree with Barney's comments though about the differences on some competitors, I have tried a D700 viewfinder and I think it is easier to see the entire screen including the settings than say an A900.

If you are using either camera with your glasses on, the D700 is more practical I would say.

As far as I am aware there is not the option to fit viewfinder correctors on a Nikon or Canon body though? For bright sunlight or manual focus work I am not sure I could go back now to wearing my glasses when using the camera... its definitely a better experience without them.

5. barney britton

barney britton Well-Known Member

Both Canon and Nikon systems do offer dioptre correction lenses, (in addition to built-in correction) but as far as I am aware, like the Sony system, it is not possible to make the viewfinder image smaller using optional lenses.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Canon sell the EP-EX15 viewfinder extender for about £15 that extends eye relief and reduces viewfinder magnification by 30%.

7. barney britton

barney britton Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. (no pun intended). Good to know - thanks Nick.

8. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

Ahh, interesting. That's useful to know.

I find it much better way of working, of course for me it makes live-view useful as when I give the camera to the wife or other family member, they get blurry-vision and live view would help them take a snap without looking threw the corrected viewfinder!

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No probs. Must say I don't think it's a great solution - Nikon are traditionally better at supplying finders with greater eye relief, I think, which seems to me to be a much better solution all round - make the problem go away rather than deal with the symptoms.

10. zuiko

zuiko Well-Known Member

I thought the buyers guide for DSLRs in AP was excellent this week, and not a "score" in sight. Makes life a lot simpler and no less informed.

David

11. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I still think it is a pity, though, that the prices quoted for some models include a lens, and not for other models. It makes it very difficult to compare prices. It may be, of course, that some models are not available body only, but the table should make this clear.

12. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

[silly]Is this the longest ever thread in the Sony room?[/silly]

MickLL

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... drifted quite a way from the original subject :)

14. Angela_Nicholson

Angela_Nicholson Well-Known Member

It is made clear on the red spot with the price of each camera on the description pages - but I take your point.

Angela

15. David_S

David_S Active Member

Well Huw, they both use Zeiss lenses but Sony are light years ahead with their use of the superb Zeiss A/F lenses!