1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A900 AP Review

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by TallPaul, Nov 7, 2008.

1. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul

2. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

I bought BJP myself, because I was really curious to see what they would say about ISO performance. Well, they like up to ISO1600. ISO1600 is plenty good for me.

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

To everyone,

I don't care about favourites/live view/performance at speeds I've used once in a lifetime.

WHAT ARE THE PICTURES LIKE ??????????????

MickLL

PS It was always inevitable that it would score less than Nikon - I have a sealed envelope here that predicts it.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Remember that it's scored on the new system, which tends to produce much lower scores than the old one - you can't directly compare scores on this method to ones by the old method.

On the Live View thing, it's perhaps unsurprising so many reviewers comment on it - after all, SOny's system is more or less universally ackonwledged as the best, so for it not to be included is perhaps a bigger disappointment than it would be on a similar camera from other manufacturers with a lesser Live View system.

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I think that live view, for me, is over rated at the moment, and dont really see why it should be included on `all` DSLR`s :D

And as such, I dont see why it is such a big deal that the A900 does not have it.

How many people have live view on their cameras and dont use it...

I can only think that when my eyesight is so bad so that I find it hard to see through the viewfinder, that is when I will need live view :rolleyes:

6. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

My comment of scoring less than the D300 and 50D above also relate to the new scoring, I can't remember the exact scores but I think one was 82% the other was 84% from memory? D300 has a more advanced focusing system for sure, but I am not sure what the 50D has that would score it above the A900.

However all of these scoring rating discussions are meaningless as its just a rough guide anyway, best to read the real reviews ;)

7. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

AFAIK the 50D and D300 were rated as 'Enthusiast' cameras and received 82% and 84% respectively. The A900 was rated as ' Semi-professional' and scored accordingly.

The categories in which cameras are placed for testing purposes are: Entry, Enthusiast, Semi-professional, Professional :)

8. TallPaul

So there are categories and scores to debate now as well - Cool ;)

9. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

We like to entertain, as well as inform :rolleyes:

10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Will somebody please tell me - does it produce good pictures?????????

MickLL

11. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

The issue dated 15 November will go on sale tomorrow 11 November :)

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Yes :)

There are quite a few reviews on the net.

In one Nick Rains concludes his very detailed test saying ...

"Given that this is well under half that of the well regarded Canon 1DsM3, and that the images are very close in quality, then this has to be a great deal. You could buy the body and two top Zeiss lenses for much the same as the Canon.

As far as image quality is concerned, bear in mind that I had to look quite closely at the files – serious pixel-peeping really – to see the differences. I always figure that if I have to look this closely then the differences are probably so close as to be insignificant.

All things considered I'd have to give this camera a big thumbs up."

13. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

And reviews in print are coming out. Digital SLR says: “I was hugely impressed with all aspects of the A900; its ease of use, the build quality, focusing, very bright view finder and final image quality. It is an incredibly competent DSLR and I believe a serious competitor to the likes of the Nikon D3 and Canon 1Ds III. In some ways the A900 beats both of these in certain aspects”.

Chasseur d'Images scores different categories out of five stars. It gives the a900 five stars for everything except landscapes where it scores six stars(!).

Dpreview only gives it 85% for image quality but gives it the highest (just) overall classification of Highly Recommended but as it illustrates the camera fitted with a Minolta 50mm 1.4 it might be difficult to unravel body from lens.

Imaging Resource says “A900’s image quality is truly awe-inspiring”, "What's sure is that the Sony A900 is a fit rival for Canon's best camera, which costs $5,000 more"

But who is going to buy a camera that only gets 80%?

14. TallPaul

Digital SLR User also says there are only 4 Sony lenses that are full frame! (so I would not put much faith in their review). I think they got confused between Full Frame and Zeiss lenses.

Apart from the 10 or so lenses they missed in the range that are full frame, one of the four that they listed was the 16-35 Zeiss that is not available yet (the other three being 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4 & 135/1.8).

15. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Would be interest in what those aspects are. Certainly isn't on Noise!

Then again myself and a few friends call DSLRUser - DS-Loser

16. Matt_Golowczynski

Matt_Golowczynski Well-Known Member

That's not very nice now, is it?

Funny though.... :D

17. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I was really commenting on this thread that seemed to me to be wittering on about side issues with no-one really interested in pictures.

MickLL

18. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

It does great pictures, I had a .ARW sample on my Flickr (granted it was at ISO200) and there are samples available from a website which I can't now recall (that's where I downloaded mine from). I am sure what I have done was to search Google for A900 ARW and that free ARW popped up. On my Flickr it was converted with GIMP and it was a picture taken with the aperture wide open if I recall well and I was very surprised by how clean and how sharp it was.

19. TallPaul

The review is available in the shops? Why not buy a copy?

There are not that many sample images in the review to be honest. If you are interested in A900 quality, why not look at all the images already on Flickr?

20. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Plenty of a900 raw files here for download. The latest Adobe Camera Raw Plug-in opens them.