1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A900 AP Review

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by TallPaul, Nov 7, 2008.

1. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this landing on my doormat tomorrow to see what they think :D

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Me too - should be very interesting :)

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Should we open a book on the score?

I'll go... 82% ;)

(Seriously though - Looking forward to the review as I used to be a Minolta user)

4. Roger_Provins

Okay :) Well AP always seem to a little lower that WDC ... so ... 86%.

Whatever, it'll be a well written report I'm sure.

5. Roger_Provins

... but now gone to the dark-side - Mitsubishi :)

6. TallPaul

I am interested to see if they got hold of a 24-70 Zeiss as well or some decent glass to test with. Should be interesting anyway to read. Just need to wait for the postman.

Looking forward to the Nikon P6000 review as well, interested to see what they think of the GPS integration.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I couldn't wait - so I went out yesterday and bought this week's BJP for the A900 review by David Kilpatrick. And then I find that pt. 2 dealing with the flash is next week.

8. Roger_Provins

I expect you know that the latest issue of David Kilpatrick's Photoworld magazine should be with subscribers very soon - and with an A2 size sample image from the a900 :)

9. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I expect it will be marked down for being noisier than a D700 with no credit for the extra pixels particularly if Sony failed to provide suitable lenses.

Hey, it's Saturday, no need to speculate, someone can give a report.

10. Roger_Provins

Post was late today .. 80% ... much less than I expected but never mind :)

11. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have just read the reprot in Photography Monthly and its not too bad, a couple of minor hings have let it down, but nothing that cant be sorted with a frimware update

12. TallPaul

I was surprised that it scored less than the D50 and D300, but I can't fault any points in the review which seemed fair and accurate.

High ISO noise did not seem as bad as hyped in other reviews, ISO800 looks perfectly usable.

13. Roger_Provins

The main points the tester seemed concerned about are:

A "clunky graphic user interface".
    No live-view.
    Only 11 focus points.
    Noise at high ISO.
    Fewer customisation options than the competition.

Despite the low score it's a very well written and considered review and I think the tester actually liked the camera. :)

14. TallPaul

I thought the comments on the live view were quite balanced though, it was acknowledged that it was not a feature for everyone, but at this price range should really be included for the minority anyway as I read it. I think the menu system, of which the main criticism is there is no customisable menu for "favourite" options falls into the same situation.

I am still shooting with my Konina Minolta 5D and I can always get to the setting I want quickly with a direct button dial or the Fn button. I only ever go into the menu to format the card, or make sure that fill flash is set if I have been using wireless. I have however never used another brand that has the "favourites" style menu where you can put most used options. It might be something that's very useful, but having never had it I would not miss it, but someone swapping brands might.

Paul

15. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Does it not have the MR setting like the A700? :D

16. Roger_Provins

Yes it does have 3 customisable memories - that's what the 1,2,3 on the dial are.

17. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

So what's the favourites menu for then?

18. Roger_Provins

Dunno Marc ... probably something to do with Canon or Nikon ... I think the actual menu items can be altered around on some of their models. However, the a900 definitely has 3 lots of customisable settings and they work similarly to the a700 MR settings except they're on the dial and not in a menu.

19. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

OK, cheers Rog.

20. TallPaul

The menu thing - its a menu you can customise yourself, usually directly of one button, so you can put frequent settings you use a lot on one screen.

With the quick-navi though most things are only a few clicks away I thought anyway?