1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

A7iii to EOS R ?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by SAW, Jul 25, 2020.

1. SAW

SAW Active Member

I still have an astro modded 600D and had a 6D with 4 L series lenses which I sold and got the A7III and spent loads on Sony glass. Missed my 6D so bought another but have no lenses ! Thinking of getting the EOS R but don't want to sell all my Sony gear in case I don't get on with the R. Not interested in the R5 and the R6 seems like degrading to what I've got. I shoot astro, landscape, macro and a bit of everything else. If I hire an R which lens should I go with ?

Are there any good reviews regarding A7iii vs EOS R for stills only all the ones I've seen on YT say the Sony is better.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think the EOS R was a stopgap. I wouldn't seek one out. Although I wonder what the second-hand price will be like once the R5/R6 hit market.

A7iii has better AF than the EOS R.

EOS R5/6 sound like they're better than the A7iii but it's early days.

SAW likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The one you need for the job I would think.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use an R as part of my kit, particularly for pro use shooting conferences and portraits, but also for landscapes and general personal use. AF is excellent in my experience, and it's outstanding for AF and IQ in very dim light. I can't compare it to the Sony, because I can't use Sony viewfinders, they literally make me sick - or at least ridiculously dizzy.7
    The R is a camera mostly criticised by people who haven't used it, exactly as the 6D was at launch, and in the same way, it's far greater than the sum of it's parts. It's not the best choice for shooting sports, but I find it an extremely useful tool overall.
    As to lenses, well I mostly use it with my EF L series lenses, but I do have the RF 35mm f1.8 macro, which is a neat little lens, and the RF 24-105 f4 L, which is quite large, but for me vastly better than the EF version.
    I'm in no hurry to replace it with thr R5 or R6, because they don't do anything for me that the R doesn't do for what I use it for.
    I liked the 6D so much I still have it, despite having replaced it. I think I like the R just as much.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So at the moment, EOS R's are around £1250-1350 second hand. Worth keeping an eye on if people do move up to the R5/R6, although if it's much like the 5D3 to 5D4, it'll be a slow move with prices not shifting much.