1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A77 questions

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by RonClark, Jun 16, 2014.

1. RonClark

RonClark Well-Known Member

Hello everyone

I've not been on here for sometime now, mainly down to ill health, sorry about that. However, I have managed to get and about snapping away with my A77, but I've noticed two issues that seem to have cropped up just lately.

The first one is withe B&W mode. I snap away with the 77 set correctly but when I uplaod them to me 'puter they are in normal colour. Does anyone have any ideas how to over come this one please?

Secondly, and this one has started very recently, is that a lot of my images are getting an overal yellowish tinge to them. Again, does anyone have any ideas how to beat this one please? I'm just hoping it's not a problem with the sensor!

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any help offered.

Regards

Ron

2. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I rarely shoot in B & W, preferring to convert after. However, if memory serves me, when opening the photo in Elements, (might be 8), both a colour and B & W photo appeared. I may be wrong, as it just seems to be a sort of 'I'm sure this has happened to me as well' thing.

WRT the 'yellowish tinge', does it happen in all shooting conditions? Have you inadvertently changed your white balance setting? Even in AWB, you can still change contrast, sharpness, etc.

I would explore this before going down the [probable] expensive route of a new sensor.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

are they RAW images that you are opening having taken them in B/W...

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this, hope things are on the up now.

First thing to check is whether you are saving the images in raw format. In raw format B&W images will appear on the camera screen as mono as per the camera set up but don't necessarily do so in computer. This often depends on the image software you are using. If I take mono images with my Canon in raw format they will appear in the Canon software as monochrome since the Canon software can read the relevant camera settings. Other raw converters (eg ACR in Photoshop) can't read these camera settings and the image is rendered in colour. If I want it I have to make it mono myself.

JPEG images taken in monochrome however should appear as monochrome since the colour information is discarded by the camera on saving.

When you say yellow do you mean yellow or just an overall warm glow? Have you checked that your white balance setting hasn't been inadvertently set to a setting such as cloudy or shade which can result in a more orange/yellow to the image. Some cameras have the option to manual adjust colour balance setting and bias them slightly (somrthing I leave strictly well alone) although I'd expect this to affect every image.

Check your manual to see if there is a way of performing a factory reset. Some makes allow you to reset the camera by pressing certain combinations of buttons or holding down a particular button while powering the camera up. If there is a reset option it's worth doing as you may have unwittingly set up a situation where one setting is unexpectedly working against another.

5. RonClark

Thank you for the replies gys. The yellow tint issue is now sorted; the white balance had been changed somehow but all is now working fine.

The mono issue ... I always shoot in Raw, so much better for leter work but I will have a go in JPEG later this week.

Once again, thanks you all.

Regards

Ron

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Personally I'd say stick to the Raw option and post converting as you can do so much more in regard to controlling the tones in resultant greyscale image. A favourite procedure of mine is to split convert an image using a 'red filter' effect on the sky and a less drastic yellow or sometimes green filter effect for the foreground - this I find particularly effective on landscapes.

I also find that working from a 16-bit colour original allows greater leeway in pushing and pulling contrast/exposure within the image than starting from an 8-bit greyscale JPEG - basically the image quality holds out better.

It might be a worthwhile exercise initially to save the mono images in Raw as well as JPEG then process both versions of various examples to give the same result and see which you feel is better in terms of both processing control, image quality and ease of use.

7. RonClark

Thanks Nigel, I'll give it a go.

Regards

Ron