1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A77 for £690. Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by gwmainprize, Jan 21, 2013.

1. gwmainprize

gwmainprize Active Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of www.applelectronic.com (saw their banner on the AP homepage). Their prices seem very low to me - £690 (including tax) for an A77 body - and the cynic in me is saying there must be a catch somewhere.

Any thoughts?

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

3. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

4. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

The address they give as a contact is 26 York Street, W1U 6PZ, London, UK
    Telephone Number: +44 20 3287 8333 which is a serviced office offering mail forwarding etc so you can take it as read that this is off-shore.

5. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

To be fair, they're pretty open about the fact that they're not based in the UK: http://www.applelectronic.com/about-applelectronic-store

6. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Hmmph. Took ages to get them to agree to pay for my A77 to be repaired here. :( :(

7. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

Ah - I've never used them, so I was speaking from reading other folk's experience on various forums - I should have made that clear.

But, in your case, the fact that they *did* agree to pay for a local repair, when their warrenty doesn't oblige them to do so, is to their credit IMHO?

Their terms state "You will also be responsible for the cost of return postage."

8. Molendinar

Molendinar Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, and not that I'm planning to, but if you buy from these places like Digital Rev, don't you get hit by customs duty and/or VAT upon import?

9. gwmainprize

gwmainprize Active Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

Looks like the catch is that you don't get a manufacturers warranty with products bought from Applelectronic but rather one provided by Applelectronic themselves. Whether or not this is as good as one from the manufacturer is another question.

@Molendinar - DigitalRev's website says the price includes all VAT and import duties

@NosamLuap - I'd not heard of Applelectronic either, hence my post. Only had a look because their ad banner appeared on the AP homepage

10. Inizinalba

Inizinalba Member

I read this with great interest as I've just bought an A77 body from SLRHut, also a US based retailer but so far it's been a good experience (£585 for the body, plus free gifts).. They phoned to confirm the purchase, upgraded the gifts (memory card and battery) and the tracking info checks out...
    No customs charges and warranty checks out...
    Now just waiting for its arrival in the next two days....

11. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

It will be interesting to see if you get away with this - the normal routine is that the goods will be held at the airport until you pay 20% VAT on the purchase price plus the shipping cost + The PO's handling charge of about £12. This even applies to secondhand kit from the US. Only two days to wait to find out.

12. Inizinalba

Inizinalba Member

That's true, but it's already passed through the UK receiving depot and out to local centre for delivery....

I'll update when (if) I get my hands on it...

13. Inizinalba

Inizinalba Member

Arrived this morning [​IMG] No hidden charges and around $200 worth of free extras.

Very happy!

14. thornrider

Thats incredible. How do they avoid the VAT on entry to here? VAT is British law so how do they do it? Was there a customs declaration - and if so do they declare the value and claim it is a gift ?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  15. Inizinalba

Inizinalba Member

I don't think I can rate these guys highly enough... digging deeper they have a 'presence' in London, the package appears to have come through there commercially and they say right from the word go that all taxes and duties are included in the price...and a domestic address for any warranty issues.

At the moment they have a further special on of up to 65% off if you call.... worth doing IMO.

They called me after I placed my initial order to upgrade my 'free' gifts, which included a extreme pro 4gb card and faster shipping for the same price as standard along with an 8 hour battery...

All in all a pleasant experience...

16. thornrider

That really is incredibly good. Thanks for sharing this. I have checked the price of a Nikon 20mm 2.8 AFD lens with them - that is £374 vs £465 UK street price. The difference is 20% so somehow they are getting the goods into the country minus VAT.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would urge extreme caution when dealing with recommendations from new posters who appear to only be posting to promote some "too-good-to-be-true" site. I would also suggest you search more on SLRHut - it's certainly not all roses. Really.Do check it out. But it's up to you. Just Google - there's plenty of stuff out there...

18. thornrider

Nick - thanks for the cautionary advice, But I'm not thinking of following the idea of buying from them. I too think it's too good to be true.

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must say I had you down as having a lot more sense anyway, but it's worth posting the warning for others. Who knows, this company may be entirely trustworthy and honest even if their UK bricks and mortar presence is just a PO Box company, and they may be avoiding VAT entirely legally, but people need to make their own minds up based on a number of sources. ;)

20. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

They do have some extraordinary prices...

e.g. a Nikon SB-910 flash, which has an RRP of £449.99, and sells for £339.99 in Warehouse Express is selling at this site for £198.

I'm very suspicious of anything that's so much cheaper than other places...