1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A700 or A550?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Steve52, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I am considering upgrading my A100 to one of the above. I already own an A350 which I am extremely happy with. As you know, my main interest is doing low light band photography, so wonder, given that criteria, which would be best.
    I've read a few reviews of both, but am still undecided, though starting to lean heavily to the A550 because of its live view and larger mp (14, as opposed to 12 for the A700).
    I read the previous links (here and here), but the second link tends to err more to the A500.
    My Sigmas 18-50mm, 28-80mm and 24-70mm F2.8 lens's work fine on my A350, so don't think I'll have any real issues with gear stripping on either the A700 or A550 (unless someone knows different)
    Does anyone have any further thoughts or recommendations.?
    Thanks in advance.

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that the a700 is expected to be superceded very soon.

3. Steve52

Which I guess would mean a significant drop in price.

4. LargeFormat

Perhaps. It is such a well regarded camera that it might hold its price better than you might expect.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... rumours are that it will follow on the a33/55 SLT line but not be released until next year.

If there's any way you could get the a850 or a900 (sell a kidney?) apart from anything else it would make best use of your wide FF lenses. Just a thought - which no doubt you've already had. :)

6. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

As you know the A700 was Sony's first true D-slr, whereas the A100 was a re-badged Minolta 5d, the fact that the A700 is still highly regarded now says it all really, Sony have helped keep the legend alive with firmware updates improving noise control etc.

When upgrading from an A300 I looked at the A700 and the A500 brothers (A500/A550), I went for the A500 because of the live view/tiltable lcd & noise control and have never regretted it, personally if it were me I'd probably hang on and see what Sony replaces the A700 with, given that to replace the A700 they should come out with something spesh.

I ain't even seen an A900 but have heard how good they are, it's been out a while so I'd imagine another full frame coming out soon ?.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

My view, for what it's worth, is that the Sony a100/700/850/900 have a great deal to do with Minolta and the last three are probably very like what Minolta would have brought out had they not sold the camera business. Releases since the a850 are pure Sony but probably with some Minolta remnants.

The next a7xx will be an SLT with a host of other gizmos sometime middle next year. The a900 probably won't have a direct successor but there maybe the first Sony professional camera appearing the end of next year or 2012.

All guesses, some more informed than others but still guesses :)

Recent Sony patents include a reflex mirror that changes from clear to reflective electronically and a liquid lens.

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I would have thought the new SLT A55 would be a option?

Is there something I am missing? Better noise handling than the A700. Fast frame rate. Unless you find EVF a real negative. I would go out to a shop and see for yourself if you can live with a EVF instead of live viewfinder.

My view is the final image is king. The rest is tools to get there.

If they use the same technology in the A7xx then it will still have a EVF probably just more pixels.

9. Steve52

I looked at that (and the A900) but only having two G lens (70-200 F2.8 and 70-400 F4-5.8) was concerned that my other Sigmas were either not compatible or would get their gears ripped. I do have a couple of Minoltas (28mm F2.8 and 50mm F1.7) which I assume would work fine.
    The other reason is cost. Both of those cameras are more than I wish to spend at this time (Christmas and car insurance). Also, with the VAT hike in January, I'm more likely to afford an A550 or A700 now, especially as I am considering p/exing 3 Sigma lens as well (400mm prime, 70-200mm F2.8 trombone and 170-500mm APO).

10. cpfc12

cpfc12 Well-Known Member

Are new A700's still available? I haven't seen an advertisement lately.

11. Steve52

here

12. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Same site also has the SLT A55 even cheaper. Another member on here has had trouble with the A500 and Sigmas as well.

Sigma have offered to fix any lens that does not work with the A33 or A55 free.

But I don't blame you for being nervous about the Sigmas working.

13. cpfc12

cpfc12 Well-Known Member

Good to see. Before I went for the A900 I had one and found it to be a good friend and very practical.
    Incidentally, I see that Warehouse Express are now selling the A900 for over £2100. Have they cornered the market for this camera in the UK? Have Sony ceased production of it?

14. LargeFormat

In a way that's cheered me up, I paid £1,600 in the high street.

15. Steve52

Thank you everyone for your input.
    Today I bought the A550 with the 18-55 SAM lens (here). Managed to p/ex my Sigma 170-500, but none of the others. I'll do a write up at a later date.
    Unfortunately, the guy in the store forgot to tell me that it needs an SD card (I only have compact flash) so I'll have to go back tomorrow and buy one. :(
    Once again many thanks and I'll post a couple of pics in Exhibition.