1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a700 is the wait worth it?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by BiGnoSe, Feb 6, 2009.

1. BiGnoSe

BiGnoSe Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've made my mind up that the a700 will be my camera of choice. But what about the lens?
    For £650 I can have the Sony lens kit (a700k) but for a mere £300 more, I can have the Zeiss lens kit (a700z).
    Is it worth the extra few months wait to get the Zeiss lens or do I dash out and get my hands on the a700 with Sony lens now.
    What would you do - buy or wait?

P.S. Yes. The money is burning a hole in my pocket!

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I had a Sony a700 for about 18 months and have very high regard for the model - but have you considered that at PMA in March Sony will very likely announce new some cameras? If the Alpha 700 is replaced or upgraded (it is Sony's longest standing model) the current model will go down in price and that might be a way to get a bargain.

As far as lenses are concerned, I always consider them more important than the body, so it is as well to afford the best you can. Lenses tend to stay with one longer - camera bodies get changed but good lenses are kept. Any with Zeiss or "G" labels are the ones to get :)

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

As Roger says PMA is only weeks away and the a800 rumours are strong. I think you will kick yourself if a better camera comes out. Google Sony PMA to see the possibilities.

As for lenses "even" 12MP on APSc is stretching lens capabilities so good glass is of the essence.

4. BiGnoSe

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Do you think that prices will change soon on the 700 if an 800 is announced in the US next month?
    On one hand it's not a problem as I will have saved more as time goes on. On the other hand I will be without a camera for some time.
    Hmmmmmmmmm

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

If a replacement is announced there will be, for a short period at least, some clearance bargains to be had. The second-hand prices will also drop a little but not by very much. In short doubt you'll really save much by waiting - if it's a a700 you want as lens prices are set to rise ... :(

Timing is the essence ... :)

6. BiGnoSe

Nice one Rog...
    I will hold out a little while longer to get the Zeiss lens. Maybe I can get lucky on ebay selling it if the a800 comes out later in the year - who knows?

7. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

What about going for an A700 body and get some nice Minolta glass off Ebay? I haven't had any regrets. Obviously you need to exercise a bit of caution when buying on Ebay, but you will save a lot of money and get your hands on some great lenses.

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Luis, the only caution is that realy good Minolta glass can, in most cases go for what was nearly new original prices, a bit of glass I've been after is the Minolta 200 mm f/2.8 HS-APO G, which when new was around £800, prices on E-bay I've seen go to £800+ and I ain't gonna pay that even if it is a corking lens

9. pgtips

pgtips New Member

I wouldn't bother waiting for the CZ lens. If I were you, I'd use the kit lens as a general purpose zoom and buy the Sony SAL 50mm f1.4 for low light/portrait photography.

10. BiGnoSe

Thanks again for your thoughts on this one...
    I had thought about the body only option but I stopped when I realised I didn't have a clue about what's out there in lens terms.
    I would stick to the basic kit but the CZ lens is a world apart from the standard ones and seems to be a sound initial investment.
    On that basis I will save the extra money and go for the a700 CZ 16-80 kit. Cameraworld are doing this pack with a holdall/vertical grip/CFIII card as a bundle for about £150 more than the camera on its own! how do they do it????
    Thanks again people!

11. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

From what you have said, I would definitely consider the 16-80 Zeiss with an A700 as one purchase, its the best way to get a good price.

It all depends what you want, A700 with the latest firmware is an excellent tool, if you want live view however then perhaps the new camera will tempt you, but I would factor several hundred pounds more for the new model.

The A700 is very rock bottom now, I can see it going cheaper if replaced but don't leave it too late or you may find there is no stock.

Camera World have excellent prices on these bundles, but beware that their A700 stock levels seems erratic - so best to reserve or make sure they have stock if you are going to the wire.

12. BiGnoSe

TallPaul I make you right on that. I think it best I get myself down to the shop and make a reserve quick.

Thanks!

13. raceman

raceman Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind that the A700 has nearly halved it's launch price, and is a superb peice of kit, now is the time to buy big time.

14. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

If you can afford it,buy two..........

It is just a dream to use with the latest firmware installed, the noise at higher ISO`s is almost non existant :cool:

15. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Sony announcement that there will be no new dSLRs at PMA! So go buy that a700. :)
    e&oe as read on the internet.

16. BiGnoSe

Advice taken guys!!!
    I've just spent £530 on an Alpha a700k, I did compomise on the lens though, I opted for the Sony 18-70mm lens and decided to keep some of my budget for other lenses in the future.
    Thanks for your helpful advice and encouragment.

17. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

You wont be dissapointed.................. :cool:

get that firmware updated though to V4

http://www.dyxum.com/news/index.asp#251