1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A200 question

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Munki2004, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Munki2004

Munki2004 Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a A200, and until last October I haven't had a problem with it. I solely used Apeture for taking photos with the occassional cheat of Auto/Presets....anyway to cut a long story short my photos were of print quality until October...now the majority of my photos are blurred (drastically) and I'm lucky if I get 1 or 2 good enough photos out of say 50...I've tried resetting the camera, changing the shutter speed and I still can't fingure out whats wrong.

If I use Auto/presets the photos are fine...

Thanks in advance....

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

When you're not on auto what speeds are you using?

3. Munki2004

Munki2004 Member

I assume you mean shutter?

I don't know if I'm changing it correctly but I use the dial on the top and move to 'S' and change it to 1/60 (have also tried going to 1/80 and 1/100) I then change back to 'A' and as a default set to F5.6 (changing every now and again as necessary).

I have noticed that using the flash while out of auto also helps.

4. Roger_Provins

I'm mildly surprised that at 60/80/100 shutter speeds you are getting what appears to me to be camera shake. I would have expected the image stabilisation (it is switched on?) to have coped with it - unless you're using a longish telephoto lens (or a big zoom at it's maximum extension).

Maybe you could upload some examples of the blurry shots?

5. Munki2004

Munki2004 Member

Yes, I've always used the Super Steady Shot switched, have even tried turning it off to see if that helps. It doesn't.

I have uploaded one of my dog, as you can see she's lying down and being still (doesn't happen very often) I can understand while moving they might be blurred (although I have lots of action shots using apeture of her).

[image]http://www.flickr.com/photos/46844953@N08/4293220481/[/image]

6. Munki2004

Munki2004 Member

With regards to the lens, it's just the standard one you get with the body and I've not altered it apart from using a filter (which I have also tried taking photos without)

7. Roger_Provins

Yahoo says "Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo"

8. Munki2004

Munki2004 Member

Oops! I think I've changed it now so that you can see....if not PM me your email address and I'll send it to you...thanks for your help btw!

9. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

The blurring does look like camera shake to me :( Try the following tests...

1. Take a picture on Auto and note the camera's chosen aperture and shutter speed (ie. 1/100 @ f5.6)

2. Switch the camera to manual (M) mode and set the same shutter and aperture you got from the auto test (ie. 1/100 @ f5.6), then take the same picture again.

3. Switch the camera to shutter priority (S) and set the shutter speed from the auto test (ie. 1/100), then take the same picture again. Check the camera used the same aperture as the auto test.

4. Switch the camera to aperture priority (A) and set the aperture from the auto test (ie. f5.6), then take the same picture again. Check the camera used the same shutter as the auto test.

Note: Use Auto white balance, ISO 100 and leave the super steady shot on. Take all the pictures handheld without flash.

You should now have 4 almost identical images but post the results on your Flickr site for comparison and identify each one with exposure mode and the shutter/aperture settings.

I also have the A200 so I'm interested in this problem. If the picture is fine in auto but not in the manual/semi auto modes it would suggest some kind of fault :(

10. Roger_Provins

Yes, as I expected that is camera shake caused by a far too long shutter speed for a hand-held shot (also it looks as though the point of focus is way beyond the the dog).

I'll wait to see the results of the tests suggested by Chris.

11. Munki2004

Munki2004 Member

Thanks Chris!

I have done as asked...and the photos are on Flickr, I have also added one take with everything on Auto and including the Auto flash. There is obviously a big difference to me with my not so trained eye with regards to the two auto shots alone.

So do you believe there to be a fault?

12. Roger_Provins

I'm not sure what you mean by 1.6 sec ... is it 1/16 or 1/6 or really 1.6 seconds? Could you look at the EXIF details as they have been lost in uploading to flickr.

If it really is 1.6 seconds (or 1/6 of a second even) then that's your problem as it's far too slow for reliable hand holding.

13. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing the tests :) As Roger says, check the shutter speed used. If it really is 1.6 seconds (1.6" on the camera screen) then that could be the problem.

It looks like your images were taken indoors but lit by window light. If this is so I'd have expected a much brighter, blown result from the images than is shown given they were mostly taken at 1.6 secs. As for the very dark shutter priority mode, this is darker than what I'd expect from 1/6 @ f5.6 though it depends on what your light levels were.

I've just taken some test shots with my camera and it has highlighted a flaw in my test instructions the first image should be taken with the dial set to Program (P) not Auto as auto takes control of the ISO and mine was defaulting to ISO400 - sorry :eek: you may need to repeat the tests.

My P mode shot came out as 1/5 @ f3.5 and the semi auto modes were the same. All the images were identical.

As for my thinking there could be a fault with your camera, I'm suspecting either the shutter or aperture may not be functioning correctly and the tests could show or disprove the theory.

14. Roger_Provins

Yes, that's why the shots taken on Auto are better because it's shoved up the ISO and used a faster shutter speed.

15. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Am I reading this correctly? When going from S to A the camera doesn't remember the shutter speed setting - unless the 200 has a function that I'm not aware of.

16. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Changing from Shutter to Aperture priority does that Mark it overrides what was set previously, from recent handling of a 200 there is a menu function to change the setting of the wheel from S to A when in manual exposure mode.

17. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks Ron, thats what I believe, that it overrides the previous setting. I read it that Munki2004 tried to set the speed in Shutter priority mode, then the aperture in Aperture priority mode, expecting the camera to remember the previous setting. A bit like Manual but in two halves. I read the OP that by going from S (where the shutter speed was set at 1/60) to A (where the aperture was set at f5.6), the OP thought that the exposure had been set at 1/60 @ f5.6, when in fact the only thing that was set was the aperture (f5.6), in aperture priority the camera would reselect the shutter speed to expose the shot - hence the long exposure times - hence the 'hand shake'. Do you see what I mean? Which is why I asked if I'd read it right...