1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A200 coming my way?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by shaggy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. shaggy

shaggy Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have posted in another section regarding advice on a dslr 'starter' camera and lens. I have previously had the Nikon D50 and D40, presently don't have an slr.

I have been reading and reading again reviews of different sub £300 dslr's and I really have an urge now to go for the A200, just read a very good review of it. Just wondering now if I should go for single kit at £260.00 with a 18-70mm lens, or £390.00 with the Dt55-200mm (top end of my budget),lens or get the sinlge lens kit and save a bit more for the 75-300mm lens?

My main use will be aircraft and surf photography, ideally at some point a 400mm lens, although these seem VERY expensive! At least with a 200mm or 300mm lens I will be able to get a decent zoom on aircraft.

I'd appreciate advice on this, particularly as I was a little put off regarding the 300mm lens, didn't seem to get good reviews from the sites I visited? Yet it would give me more options than the 200mm...about 100mm lol! Or are there any decnt Sigma or Tamron options?

Also liked the look of the A350, however it would take all my budget for the single lens version and could use more than 70mm.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

The Sony 55-200mm (essentially a Tamron lens) is actually a very good lens optically - I've had the Tamron version and was surprised how good it was. Any economies have been made on the build not the optics. It is a much better lens than the 75-300mm and I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with it.

However, it seems from your quoted prices, they are in effect charging £130 for the 55-200mm when the Tamron version can be bought cheaper elsewhere. Here it's only £83 and there may be even better deals. You may find better deals for the whole 2 lens kit at better prices than you have quoted - worth a some research anyway - or buy the body an lenses separately.

Good luck :)

3. shaggy

shaggy Well-Known Member

Hi, thanks for that advice! Yes, I think I will buy the single lens kit from Argos and get the other lens from your link.

Just out of interest, what indicates the Tamron lens for example, works with the Sony? Is there a letter? I had heard that there lens mount is 'A'? Would this be the same with say Sigma lenses for Sony, assuming they make them for that model?

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

All Sony Alpha dSLR cameras (a200 to a900) use the Minolta AF lens mount - they bought the Minolta camera business a while back.

There are hundreds of Sony/Minolta fit lenses - look here for a comprehensive database.

All the independent lens makers (Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc) do Sony fitting lenses.

5. shaggy

shaggy Well-Known Member

DOH! Argos have stopped selling the A200, just as I was going to get one tomorrow :mad:
    They have the A230 but at a price out of my budget.
    I was looking at London Camera Exchange too but they seem pricier than other shops?

6. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

7. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

8. shaggy

shaggy Well-Known Member

Hi, thank you both for your help there :)
    After looking at both sites I found out there is a Jacobs in Derby so I will all being well, get one from there tomorrow.

The price at Jacobs seems very good at £249.00 for the A200, I had maybe budgeted as high as £400.00 at a push so I am now thinking if I should get the A200 'twin' set, or go for the higher spec A350 at £398.99 and save for a larger lens at a later date? Just wondering if there is enough of an improvement, or spec advantage to warrant going for that model?

I have read and I am presently reading 'What Digital Camera' and it gave the A200 a 89% rate and the A350 a 90% gold award. It went on about the live view, which maybe I don't understand? Or wonder if it would benefit me? I think maybe I am ignorant of 'live view' as I always thought the SLR's favoured the view finder option and using the screen to take shots seemes more what you would with a prosumer type camera? If any of you use 'live view' do you think it has benefitted the SLR?

Cheers

9. DaveG40

The A350 has the extra megapixels and live view system.

The live wiew system is good (I have an A300) and it rarely gets used, Aircraft and surfing are'nt really suited to Live view, so I'd probably yet the A200 double lens kit, the A300 is also well worth a look, and has a burst rate of 3fps.

The A200 has a slightly bigger viewfinder than the 2 live view models, which again will be useful for plane shots.

As for ratings, one mans masterpeace is another's donkey.

10. shaggy

shaggy Well-Known Member

Cheers for that.
    Yes, I have read so many reviews, possibly too many, I guess at the end of the day compostion had as much a part to play? I mean I wouldn't imagine there is a vast difference in some of the models of a similar price?

I keep coming across a canon 450D on ebay too, but they do seem to be more pricey and the A200 does appear (at least on paper), to tick all the boxes.

11. shaggy

shaggy Well-Known Member

Ok, so I'm just going to get my A200 this morning.

I'm going to buy the single lens version. If I'm correct I owuld be better buying the single lens version and a Sigma 70-300mm (APO?) version rather than the non-apo? Over the Sony 75-300mm.

Look forward to gettting this :)

12. DaveG40

I can only discuss the Sigma having had no experience with Sony's zoom lens, the Apo Sigma is a lot better than the non Apo version and is definetly worth the difference.

You maybe spawnie like me and get one off of ebay in mint/ as new condition for only £60.

13. shaggy

shaggy Well-Known Member

Hi,

I got my A200 :) I did get suckered into the CF card and UV Filter...almost the battery grip before I realised it was half the price of the lens I was looking at!

Going to get a telephoto lens at the weekend. I am looking seriously at the Sigma 70-300mm (APO). May search Ebay too, although I have read about 'gear stripping' by a number of users?

14. DaveG40

I've only heard of the A700 stripping gears, and even then apparently there is a setting on the A700, which resolves the problem.

The Sigma works perfectly fine on my A300.

15. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Dave, the 900 strips Sigma gears even quicker ;) which is why I haven't even bothered trying my 28 - 300 on the 900 (TBH the image quality would be shown up) and like the 700 the 900 can be set to a slower AF, which should help prevent stripping

16. shaggy

shaggy Well-Known Member

Hi,

I got my A300 and posted for the first time on the appraisal gallery! :eek:

FIrst shots with my A200 and really enjoying it. Just have to decide on that 'aircraft' lens now.

Thanks for the advice, hope I don't let down the 'Sony' users!

17. shaggy

shaggy Well-Known Member

Ok, it was an A200 camera I got, next buy must be a decent keyboard and typing lessons!

18. wookiemcbear

wookiemcbear New Member

hello mate where did you get your a200 from as im looking for one myself

cheers

mark

ive taken a look at your photos and they look mint