1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A100 Viewfinder

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by DaveG40, Feb 1, 2008.

1. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

Hi Gang

Does anyone have a quick and easy method for cleaning behind the view finder on the Alpha 100, please.

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've not taken the a100 apart (yet) but here you'll find a service manual. It's a bit complicated to download all the parts and decompress them but well worth the effort. It will show you the entire construction of the camera so you should be able to work out what you need to do to get behind the viewfinder.

3. DaveG40

Hi Rog

Thanks for that will have a look, had any need to clean the sensor on your A100 ?. If so what did you use ?.

Regards

Dave

4. Roger_Provins

I never found it need much cleaning, despite quite a lot of lens changing), just blew it out with a puffer occasionally. I did a test on the anti-dust system once (search archives) and it worked well :)

5. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I've had my A100 for about a year and recently had to clean the sensor. You'll know when, as spots will appear on your pictures (see below)

[​IMG]

6. DaveG40

Hi ROG / STEVE

Have just looked at the very helfpul link you gave me and after looking thru it, I'm sad to say I'm no clearer.

Rant on:

I tried to take my Alpha A100 back to Curry's today, I've just had enough of the damn thing, as you probably know I don't think the SSS and focussing are right; the photo's certainly don't compete with my H2's, boxing day the camera was unresponsive until i took the battery out, it had the dust problem which the wonderful ? anti-dust system could not clear, so I had to resort to wet & dry clean using a charged brush and now the LCD has a pixel problem, the image on a computer monitor and in the viewfinder is fine, it's just on the LCD in playback.

I've gotta ring Curry's Tech Guys tomorrow & just want rid of it, it's easily the worst camera I've ever owned & it's the most expensive.

Strangely I can't seem to find a decent e-mail or contact address for Sony's Digital camera dept.

Rant off:

How has your A100 experience been ?.

7. DaveG40

I've had it for less than 5 months.

8. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Conversely I've never had a single problem with mine (Had it for a year). Maybe you just got unlucky and got a duff one that slipped through the QC.

9. Roger_Provins

I'm in full agreement with Marc. My a100 worked beautifully without a single problem. I really think you must send yours back.

10. mark_wilder

mark_wilder Well-Known Member

I've had mine since day one when they were first released, and I've never had any problems with mine.

The only complaint I would have is the removable eyepiece has a nasty habit of removing itself.

11. DaveG40

I've had a Fuji A202, F10 & E550
    Sony S600, Sony H2 & the Alpha
    Panasonic LS2 & in the next week a TZ3
    Plus a Tiny gadget camera - CRAP and a Pentax ME 35mm SLR

To date the H2 has walked all over the others and as for the worst, that's easy, if Currys don't take the A100 back keep an eye out for a £300 Alpha on ebay.

I would love to meet the head of Sony Imaging !. :mad:

12. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

If the alpha is only 5 months old then it's still under warranty. You wouldn't want to put a faulty camera on Ebay for £300 would you?

As myself and others have said, we've had no problems with ours so I don't think the Sony Head of Imaging could be taken to task over one faulty camera. :D

13. Roger_Provins

How about giving us a link to one of your poor photos? Preferably the original raw file - then we can have a stab at working out what's wrong.

14. DaveG40

The reason I'm so fed up with the camera is because I spent months researching a D-slr before deciding on the Alpha, intially i put the poor images i was producing down to me, I'm not talking composition or settings problems I'm talking about photographic qaulity (crisp, clear images), with the odd exception the Alpha's photo quality has been nowhere near that of my H2, to highlight that I have just entered 3 photo's into a photo comp, 2 were H2 shots and one was with my Fuji E550, there was no A100 pic worth considering. As previously mentioned I rate my Alpha's SSS as being far worse than my H2's,even though I have had a telecon fitted (734mm), and then there is the focussing issue, again posted elsewhere on this forum somewhere, a lot of images are'nt blurred they are "just" slightly out of focus, despite trying various metering and focusing options, some users on Dyxum "apparently" have had the same problem (back focussing).

I look at other people's A100 shots and see how clear and vibrant they are and then I look at mine and wonder what I'm doing wrong. No matter what the setting they look second rate to my 6mp bridge camera, and that's regardless of whether I'm using the kit lens, 50mm F/1.7 or Tamron 55-200.

At just over £400 it's a lot of money when you're used to spending half that, and when you're bemused that it can't compete with a 6mp bridge's photo's, mysteriously dies (unresponive issue) and then throws up a dead pixel on the LCD you can't help but want to chuck it in the bin & stand on a soap box.

I have tried to stick with it (had it for 5 months)but enough is enough something is wrong, either it's me or it's the camera, poor photo's, short term coma & a dead pixel on the LCD lead me to point a finger at the camera.

As for selling it on ebay, as long as you're honest things usually sell.

Update: It's been booked in and is going back, so hopefully in 2 weeks time I'll either be seeing the good that everybody else can see or will get rid of.

15. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Hope you get it back repaired and as good as ours have been.

16. Roger_Provins

Not saying it's true in your case but many of the reports of back or front focussing are actual folk not realising the narrowness of the DoF at fast wide apertures AND the fact that the spot focus is not a tiny dot but a small square. Within that square there's plenty of margin for error, say between the eyebrow and the pupil in a portrait, and the Dof at f1.7 will show up the missed focus.

Good luck with the return - I really hope you get back a camera working as well as did my a100 :)

17. DaveG40

After 3 weeks the A100 came back (On Friday) I have'nt had chance to test it fully but the camera would seem to be "better" than it was, Sony very kindly replaced the screen even though they included a photocopy from the manual stating that dead pixels can occur without affecting the image, the view finder was cleaned, the mode selector seems to be slightly stiffer & the SSS seems to be doing what it's supposed to do, so Sony defintely would appear to look after it's customers, but am i happy ?

Not really, the camera just does'nt fullfill me even though I have a 50mm prime, 55-200 lens, remote, etc, etc there is no denying that it and d-slr's in general are the optimum camera for producing the best photo's but it just does'nt excite me, while the camera was away i sold my Sony H2 & bought a Panasonic TZ3 mainly as a back up / supplement to the Alpha, ironically it's the TZ3 that puts a smile on my face, which leads me to the question; did I buy the right D-slr or indeed did I need a d-slr in the first place ?.

The arrival of the new VR equipped Nikon D60 has'nt helped (It was either going to buy the A100 or a D40x & because of my shakey hands that was decided by the SSS), and the new Sony A200 does'nt look to be a vast improvement over the A100 especially when I'm a big fan of the depth of field preview button.

The arrival of a d-slr sized sensor on a 28-500mm bridge camera would fullfill me but will that ever happen ?.

Even though comfy, researched and, tried & tested to the hilt I do think I bought the wrong camera, anyone else ever felt the same way?.