1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A young man being hung out to dry?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Oct 27, 2020.

1. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I think it’s too much to ask of a 18 year old lad on just £4.24 p/h to approach anyone, let alone a suspected bomber, he’d just be added to the death toll list.

Strictly no backpacks? and employ armed forces outside of the building?

RogerMac likes this.
  2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The sooner electronic sniffers are in place, the better.
    I think it is too much to ask for everywhere to have dedicated sniffer dogs and armed units, but at larger venues it may be viable.
    Having someone scared of approaching ethnic minorities is counter productive - although an experienced ex copper or military may have handled things better, the explosion may well have still taken place. This kid will live with this for the rest of his life.

IEEE is calling for research into electronic sniffers, backed by police and military. Let's hope they can get them soon.
    https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk...ach-to-detect-explosive-substances-from-bombs

Edit...Perhaps I should have said 'inexpensive' explosive detectors. We know the military use sniffers already, but they are limited and currently (AFAIK) require human monitoring.

3. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

covid-19 is likely to halt venues for some time still, and will larger venues be a thing of the past now?

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Interesting that Manchester United have managed to get 23000 odd seats out of 74000 capacity to comply with social distancing. It's a just saying point in response to the above comment.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There are plenty of 18 year olds deployed by the UK's armed services and from all accounts they are very good at their jobs. On the other hand they are constantly training and well supported, which I'm sure wasn't the situation in this case. Perhaps one outcome of the enquiry will be greater pressure on businesses to recruit, train and pay security staff properly.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I think it might also depend on what level of security the lad was at. One of my daughters friends was on duty that night in the MEN. She was, no doubt, classed as security, but in effect was nothing more than an usher. Luckily she was not injured in it.