1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

A word about Paul

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigWill, Jan 10, 2013.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

It was with deep sadness that I read the news from Mark Jacobs (in the Jessops thread) of the death of one of our much loved forum members, Paul Winter. Although I am not sure of the exact date and time of Paul's passing (the news on his website isn't specific) it appears that Paul finally succumbed to his long fight with cancer. Many of the forum regulars will have known Paul well (paul@ukcamera) as he was a frequent poster on the site and was well respected for his extensive photographic knowledge and his love of older cameras and photographic equipment. Always ready to help others and to freely share his extensive photographic knowledge, Paul was a great asset to the AP forum and will be sadly missed by us all on here.

My own personal memories of Paul are of a man who enjoyed his photography but who also loved the equipment he used to take those photos with and he delighted in getting good results from older gear despite owning and using modern sophisticated kit as well. Many's the day we indulged in friendly banter on the AP forum about him using his favoured Nikon kit whilst I ribbed him about it (being the dedicated Canon user I am). Paul's ready wit and infectious humour endeared me to him right away and I knew I had found a "kindred spirit" whom I could share a joke with. Paul was also an extremely intelligent and "wise" man who had an uncanny ability to look at a situation from a broad perspective and then use that wisdom to great effect in helping others. Indeed, my abiding memory of Paul on here will always be of the occasion when I was off on one of my (then frequent) drunken rants on the forum one day, sailing perilously close to getting banned from the site, when I received a "private message" from Paul telling me, quite plainly and frankly and in his own inimitable way, that I was simply wrong and to wind my neck in (or words to that effect). Now coming from anyone else I would probably have ignored such advice, but Paul was different as he was a man I looked up to and respected because of his unfailing wisdom and common-sense nature, and so on that occasion (and luckily for me!) I took note of his words and shut my big mouth for once in my life. That was the thing about Paul, he actually cared about people, not only on here but in life in general and took the time and made the effort to go that extra mile for them.

Paul, you are sadly missed by me and I'm sure I speak for everyone here on the AP forum when I say that the forum is a lesser place and indeed the world is a lesser place for your departure. Rest in peace my friend and may I take this opportunity to extend my deepest and heartfelt sympathies to all of Paul's family circle as well.

BigWill

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Didn't know him personally but from his posts it wasn't hard to tell that he was a nice guy. My thoughts are with his family.
    R.I.P Paul

3. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Like you Will, was shocked when I saw Marks post, I took the liberty of lifting this announcement from Pauls FB page.
    "It is with regret that I wish to inform all of Dad's fb friends that he passed away in his sleep at 5:55 am. My sister and I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that has supported him through his illness over the past three years. To all you fb friends, amateur photographer bloggers and Jaguar owner club drivers, Thanks." posted on the 19th October 2012.

My belated condolences to Pauls family, freinds and loved ones

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Thanks for that Ron, and it seems that from your post that Paul did indeed pass away in October last year and that "belated condolences" are in order and I hope I will be forgiven for not being aware of his passing sooner. :(

BigWill

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

About 4-5 years ago I met up with Paul whilst on holiday in his neck of the woods. Yes, Paul was a marvellous chap to chat with about cameras, and many other things besides. I think BigWill has summed up him very well indeed.

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

For family and friends a loss beyond imagine and, for the (UK) photographic world an immense loss. I can't remember how many people I've given a links to a camera shop to check out new and used cameras that didn't come from Paul's site and that is both on AP, Dpr and a goodly number to folks, visiting from or going to the UK, who had stopped in the shop.

My condolences to family and friends ............ everywhere.

Jack

7. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

It was just last week that I looked at UKCamera and saw it hadn`t been updated since September.

Knowing of his battle I confess I wondered at the time.

His knowledge and enthusiasm knew no bounds.

I`m very sad to learn of his passing.I have a relative in Llandysyl.I must ask if he was known to him.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Nice wee tribute Will. Paul will indeed be missed and every time I see a Werra I'll be reminded of him.

9. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'm truly sorry to hear of Paul's death. He was helpful to me once a few years ago in respect of some very useful advice he gave to me, and I agree with the pertinent sentiments of Big Will. Paul is going to be greatly missed.

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Agree wholeheartedly with BW on this one. I used to often get involved in heated debate with Paul, but in private it was a different matter, even to the extent of Paul inviting me to stay with him for a holiday when I was in a very depressed state.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Absolutely. He and I passionately disagreed about many things, but they were all silly little things. What a lovely and kind man he was.

12. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

My condolences go to Paul's family.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well said Will. Can't really add anything to that.

14. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

BigWill says it all...
    RIP Paul...

15. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Me neither. Well said for us all Will.

RIP Paul

16. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

what a terrible shame :(

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I'm very sad to hear this, liked Paul and his contributions no matter how controversial

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Sadly missed...

19. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I didn't know Paul that well as my first appearances in here were only about 18 months ago and he was ill and didn't post much but he took the time to PM me with some friendly advice about various things when I was just starting out always in plain English because he knew I was a beginner. That was very kind of him and I shall always remember him for that.

RIP

20. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting the thread Will. I didn't know Paul and I can only half guess at what he went through. It is indeed sad when a known face is snatched from a circle of people with a common interest because to many he was a friend, perhaps not a friend in the old fashioned sense, but in this modern medium a virtual friend. RIP Paul .