1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A visit to the Dark Side...

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Fishboy, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Look...I'd not bought a camera for at least twelve months. That sort of thing starts to wear a chap down, don't you know. You find yourself looking at popular auction sites and various other used equipment sellers and you start to think "that'd be an interesting camera to have a go of". As time passes you realise that you're becoming less and less discerning - where you were originally waiting for that amazing bargain Leica to appear you now find yourself drooling over Bencini Comets and Ferrania Ibises.

It really had to stop. Buying another camera - I reasoned - would be more of a form of mental therapy than anything else.

OK, I admit it. My name's Jeff and I'm a cameraholic - twelve months clean...until I fell off the wagon this morning.

I've ordered myself (wait for it...) a Canon!

"What on Earth?" I hear you all ask. Yes, I've never owned or even used a Canon. If you chopped me in half you'd find 'Nikon' written all through my body like a stick of Blackpool rock. Despite all of this I'm currently waiting for a Canon F-1 with a 28mm f2.8 lens to be delivered.

Having never used one of these beasts before, is there anything I should know about it? Does it have any specific dietary requirements? Do I have to carry out some form a sacrifice to a demonic entity in order to achieve correct exposures? Will I be excommunicated from the Nikon Owners Club?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers, Jeff

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Is it the original (enamel painted) or the "New" (anodised finish)? I much prefer the original which was everything the Nikon F wanted to be when it grew up. For the full experience find a 50mm f1.4 or the 100mm f2.8 (as used here) and revel in that amazing viewfinder.

Canon F1 Ilford Film 1996-13_ 21.jpg

Fishboy likes this.
  3. Fishboy

I think it's the original version (no hot shoe and no little 'step up' to the shutter speed dial on the top plate) and the lens is the FDn version.

Cheers, Jeff

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Are you sure he's a canon? He just looks like an ordinary priest to me (except for the hat, maybe).

Cheers,

R.

Steve Moorhouse and Fishboy like this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Odd. I thought that the F1 wanted to be a plain-prism F but couldn't lose enough weight. Baseplates are nearly identical in size but the F1 is quite a lot taller (I have one of each in front of me as I write). I don't see much difference in the finders.

Cheers,

R.

6. Andrew Flannigan

The F1 I had was a lot brighter than the Nikon F I sold to raise the funds for it. Plus it had the built in TTL metering so you could use it at waist level and still meter - something you couldn't do on a Nikon until the F3 came out.

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I thought at first your calendar was two days out. By all accounts it was/is a "classic" camera and hopefully your one is in fine working order. Darkside (to you) it may be, but enjoy.

Please post some shots in due course.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You go outside RIGHT NOW, and throw it under the next passing bus. Then get back inside and Google 'Rochdale Exorcism' and get yourself the best priest that money can buy. It's not going to be pretty but you will come through it and be a stronger person! Do it!

9. Fishboy

Steady on! I'm not sure that I could afford the damages that I'd have to pay to Rossendale Transport!

Cheers, Jeff

Craig20264 likes this.
  10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

If it had been a Zenith you would also have had to pay to fill the pot-hole in....:rolleyes:

peterba likes this.
  11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If it was a Zenith you could USE it as a pothole repair - and it'd probably outlast the road...:D

peterba, Trannifan and Roger Hicks like this.
  12. Fishboy

Well, it's arrived. It's a bit brassed but seems to work perfectly!

Canon.jpg

Cheers, Jeff

spinno, Geren, peterba and 1 other person like this.
  13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hard to tell, he looks a bit Brown to me.

S

spinno likes this.
  14. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I've lost count of the cameras I'd love to own.

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Nice but certain Canon users would maintain that you need a Nikon F if you want a proper doorstop...:D

16. Fishboy

I have a Nikon F - it sits atop a marble pedestal with artfully arranged spotlights illuminating every inch of its mechanical perfection!

Cheers, Jeff

17. Andrew Flannigan

There are those who might say the only true test is to arrange for a colleague with an AK47 to shoot the F1 while you wear it over your heart. If you survive the F1 is at least as suitable for use in a war zone as the F. :cool:

18. Roger Hicks

Absolutely. The big difference is that with the Nikon, you'll be able to pick it up and use it again afterwards. The Canon is far more likely to be a doorstop with but a single use.

I have (I think) seven or eight Nikon/Nikkormat SLRs. They all work. I have two Canons SLRs (F1 and FTQL). One of them works OK if you don't need slow speeds.

Cheers,

R.

19. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I was tragic enough to weigh them, and my Nikkormat ELW wieghs more than my Zenit.

I think I need help (wouldn't like to drop either on my foot!)

Adrian

20. I've lost count of the cameras I do own!

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.