1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A very lone tree

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Thought I would offer this up for a good pulling apart.
    There's a big long story that accompanies this picture but I wont bore you guys with it.
    All crit and comments welcome as always and thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

As usual it's been mullered by compression, the tree is sharp but is looking rather soft in this version.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

That's a tree? I've seen bigger thistles!

3. Helander

Hmmm....that's helpful....lol :p

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well it's the truth!

Fairly ambivalent about the picture tbh and haven't really anything much to say about it.

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I really want to say that the verticals need straightened, even though there are no verticals. :confused: It feels like it's leaning to the left.

6. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

The tree is too small to make any sort of statement and we are really just left with the swathe of blurred water which lacks interest other than where it's falling on the rocks at the bottom.

The tree is too small and the water isn't interesting enough despite the favourable light on the tiny tree.

That's how I see it.

7. Helander

Okay, cheers Tim. Good points about the tree and water.

8. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

remarks like that ,will scare most most any one away from posting.:confused:
    the mention off the tree obviously starts of a blinkered attitude.
    i have had this up on my screen for almost a hr.the fam walking buy all had some comment..all positive.
    i personally cant fault it ,but then im still learning ,right.
    the level does look slightly off,looking at the pool at the bottom.
    the tone and colors are fascinating ,
    the tree is probb. a lot older than it looks.and the shaft off light hitting it completes the picture for me.
    this is from the same cave system i assume.
    maybe if it was not so central it would be a stunner,but as is it is still a very good photo.full off detail and mood.

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Another vote for its being a superb picture. A difficult genre (cotton-candy water) superbly executed, thereby lifting it above mere genre. Do not listen to anyone who is less than complimentary. I'd be proud to have taken it.

(Change the title, though.)

Addendum from Frances: "The "streaks" in the water save it from being boring cotton-candy. I just love the light: magical!"

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  10. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I really like that and sums up everything I come to expect from a good waterfall photo, movement with mood ;o) - and the little tree, offers a nice bit of green into what would be quite a dark photo - ticks all my boxes, very nice

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I keep coming back to to this. I want to like it but for me it's lacking a sense of scale. I keep trying to work out how big everything is. Maybe I should look at this as a positive, because it keeps me coming back for another look.
    There's a lot worse waterfall images out there anyway. I should know, I took most of them :)

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Like Craig 20264 I've been back to this a few times. The lighting is exquisite, but it does feel like the cascade is at the wrong angle even though it apparently isn't. That assumes of course that the bonsai:) is actually growing on a true vertical. The picture probably is one of those that really needs to be viewed much larger than is possible on a monitor to give an enhanced impression of scale.

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, I love it. I can feel the genius loci, the chill of the spray from the waterfall, the warmth when the ray of light falls on you, the thrill of the hidden place. I can smell it.

Stuff the technicalities, this one is about feeling to me, and it has it in spades.

Wave to us when the sleeper goes by on Monday morning, Helander - heading for Orkney!

Adrian

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I saw this briefly yesterday morning before I went out and didn't have time to comment on it, but was thinking about the image on and off for most of the time I was out so it certainly had some impact!

I realised that it wasn't the water or the tree that I found so fascinating but the rocks - they have a sort of pre-Raphaelite quality to them (think John Ruskin's geological studies) that is absolutely enhanced by the presence of the tree and the water. It could stand to be straightened slightly so that the water pooling at the bottom looks right but other than that - have to agree with the "ayes"!

15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I see it more as a Chiaroscuro (yes I did have to look up the spelling! :) ) study of light and dark than a conventional picture of the tree or even the waterfall - those to me are more background elements of the composition rather than the main subject, which is really the interplay of light and dark.

It's lovely!

16. Helander

Thank you guys for all the comments.
    Hennie, this isn't a cave system but it does feel like that with the dense canopy of trees above cutting out all but a few rays of light. The small sapling initially caught my attention as it has taken root in a small crack in the rocks. It amazes me it can gather enough nutrients to survive but the solitary ray of warming light from above presumably gives it enough energy to grow. Had to wait around for the ray of light which was coming and going to finally reach the tree. The midges got a good feed.

Thank you Roger and Francis, appreciated.

Glad some are confused over the scale (Craig). Any time I approach a waterfall shot I like to disguise scale if possible to leave the viewer guessing.

Regards levelling. With no verticals to help framing I relied on the in camera spirit level which I've always found a hit or a miss. To me the picture appears level, maybe because I was there. My partner passed this morning and commented she thought it was off too so got her to level it to where she thinks it should be with no preconceived ideas without ever seeing the scene and I have to agree, comparing the unlevelled and levelled one it does look right/better.

Glad you like it Geren and it provoked a lasting impression.

Interesting nobody mentioned the lichen in the background clashing with the sapling which is niggling me. Positioning was tight, the river bank I was on is similar to the bank in the picture. It was impossible to get any further left without falling in.

Cheers Gray and you enjoy Orkney, a beautiful part of the world.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I go along with the general thumbs up, but I'd do something about the distracting light green patch near the bottom.

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I like it. As a subject, even a secondary one, I guess the sapling could be bigger but we're going to have to wait a year or several for that...:D

I like the lighting and the control thereof although I agree with Mike about the the stray patch.