1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A tree

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by mcgoo, Nov 14, 2013.

1. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

I passed this tree today and decided to go back and try and get a shot of it. For once, I took my time and thought about the shot before I took it and used the 'rule of thirds' for the composition and tried to get my exposure right. I have done a little bit to it in Photoshop just to enhance the colour of the grass.

Any comments/feedback welcome.

[​IMG]

Mick

2. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

It is a very nice tree and well composed, you brained it. Some thoughts arise, however:
    1) The PP altered the sky dramatically making it loose colour uniformity.
    2) Due to the location of the tree next to the road, it will cut it somehow from different perspectives had you either chosen to lead right or left wards... why not the road leading to the tree with a lower angle and the road side grass leading the eye together with the road towards the tree...

3. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

Agree with Luis - camera about 30-40cm too high. And for me a bit too much empty/meaningless space on the left and right.

Nice picture though

4. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Agree with Luis and Serge. Road a little too central, better that it cuts in from either the left or right corner.

Cool looking tree, very knarly.

5. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

Thanks for the feedback people, it's much appreciated.
    The empty space left and right was deliberate as for miles on that road there are no trees and then this one just at the side of the road. I wanted somehow to show the tree as being lonely if you know what I mean, hence the empty space either side...... But, I see exactly what you are saying.

Cheers
    Mick

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the blue is hurting my eyes, (well, one of them anyway!). Couldn't resist a play, hope you don't mind.:)

[​IMG]

7. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

I dont mind at all Craig...... I really like the mono one. Actually, what I did in photoshop was to overlay a B&W version on top of the original, set the transfer mode to Multiply and then turned down the opacity until it looked how I wanted. I was tempted then to go with the B&W version.

If you guys wouldn't mind, this picture is the original straight off the SD card. Which one do you prefer, the Photoshopped one above, or this one. I think the Photoshopped one is more vibrant but I really want to get these more vibrant colours out of my camera. I'm still just learning!!

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Mick

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  8. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

I think you want to try and develop a workflow in Photoshop where you can boost the colours and contrast without trying to make it unnatural. It can be a fine line but the original is definitely overcooked. In my opinion this needs a white balance adjustment - it's too blue as it is and you can just do a levels or curves adjustment to increase the contrast.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't work on this too much though - although nice enough I feel it's lacking some drama. I think someone else mentioned it would've worked better if you'd gone lower to separate the branches from the horizon.

9. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

Appreciate the feedback. Although I suppose it always comes down to individual preferences with photography as I actually like the blue sky. I live in Central Scotland so we don't see it blue too often, especially in mid-November so I suppose, I actually wanted to capture it at it's bluest!!

As for a workflow in Photoshop, I have just got a trial version of Viveza which allows gives a lot of options to the colour and depth etc. I'll maybe work on this and see what I can get from it.

Thanks again,
    Mick

10. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

Do you mean Nik Software? Viveza is the sharpening part, but there's some very good tools in Colour Efex - Pro Contrast and Polarisation are useful if you don't go too hard on the sliders.

I'd go with the colour version too, the blue sky goes well with the golden grass but Craig's conversion is pretty nice also. Agree that blue sky is welcome in November!

11. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

Yes, Nik software. Viveza does more than sharpening, it can give you some good control over saturation, highlights, midtones etc as well as being able to sharpen up the image. And I find it pretty easy to use which is a bonus!!

Agree, Craigs version is nice and works well.