1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Scintillating Discussion about Coffee

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhotoEcosse, Apr 19, 2016.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Brian worries (or perhaps merely observes) that this is a dreary place with few interesting discussions.

Let's show him that he is mistaken.

I make my coffee using a Philips Senseo machine and Douwe Egberts Mug-sized All Day coffee pods (Smooth and powerful). Because they are not sufficiently powerful for my taste, I put a teaspoonful of Percol "Black & Beyond Espresso" instant coffee powder into the mug before placing it under the spouts of the machine. I also add two Sweetex tablets and, although one really shouldn't, I add a small splash of semi-skimmed milk.

What I love about coffee is that I can allow, through forgetfulness (or obsessive attention to this allegedly dreary forum), a quarter of the mug of coffee to go cold. I find that the cold coffee has a very pleasant flavour - but distinctively different from the hot coffee. Do others find that?

Also, I have sometimes heard friends say that they need the "buzz" from a cup of coffee to get them started in the morning. I can honestly say that I have never been aware of any "buzz" from coffee although I do find that it causes insomnia if drunk in large quantities in the hour or two before going to bed.

Eric

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I enjoy two types of coffee. I relish and savour Kimbo coffee made in a stovetop espresso maker, served black and in small quantities. It is not a cheap option however and is reserved for those times when I truly have the space and peace to sit quietly and savour the experience. Other than that I like cheap Kenko rapoor instant coffee made approximately three times stronger than most people have it, served in a half litre 'humpen' that I brought back from Oktoberfest.

While I don't experience a 'buzz' from my first coffee of the day, I do suffer from brain fuzz until such time as the first half litre has been consumed and it's generally not safe to talk to me until I'm half way down the second. I have found, now that I'm nearer fifty than forty, that coffee after 5pm results in me staying up far too late trawling this site for anything of interest and twice as much coffee being required the next morning to get things back on track again.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I always seem to feel better after a cup of coffee at breakfast, but I try to keep my caffeine consumption down after that. I do use a decaf in the afternoon (LIDL Columbian) which is better than the others I haver tried. I like a fairly strong coffee, I found Black & Beyond a bit too vicious though!

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Mmmmm.

S

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I need two cups of coffee in the morning to function, forget about any buzz.

6. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Beatnik!!

7. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

<throws book down> Huh? Sorry, what, Yes? Can I help you? :D

I like an espresso from my DeLonghi machine but prefer to grind my own as I can't get a decent crema with the pre-ground stuff I'm using at the minute.

8. willie45

Hah! I had forgotten. Apologies ;)

A throwback to my youth when everything wild was blamed on the aforementioned. You know how it is with these squares, man :D

I can't drink coffee unless decaff, which I like but often feel I'm missing out on the "rush" so I'm glad Eric has confirmed that it is mythical

9. willie45

Man this place is wild! I'm off to my Mixed Martial Arts Forum now for some quiet time. There's this great thread about yoghurt flavouring I've been following ;)

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

At present enjoying a cup of Aeropress brewed Caturra from Rosa Cotacachi in Ecuador, roasted by Joe at Small Batch Coffee in Brighton. I'd definitely recommend their coffee.

Actually a subject done to death on the watch forum. But top marks for effort.

And no the forum doesn't worry me, slightly sad perhaps.

11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

My machine of choice is the Cuisinart Grind and Brew Plus which I bought from the interweb.

I have to admit that I was a little taken aback when I unpacked it - it's somewhat larger than I anticipated. It’s roughly the size of an armadillo (that would be the giant armadillo rather than the pink fairy armadillo, obviously).

There are three strength settings: Strong - this makes coffee of the strength known as 'industrial' - not quite thick enough to stand a spoon up in, but certainly viscous enough to offer resistance when stirring. After my first cup at this strength, I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror - I looked like a startled owl. I found myself whizzing around the house like a child who's eaten blue Smarties (allegedly!).

The Medium setting is the one that Goldilocks would have picked whilst rummaging through the Three Bears' underwear drawers - that one's 'just right'.

There's also a Mild setting - I don't know why anyone would want to drink 'mild' coffee, unless perhaps it's for somebody of a nervous disposition who, otherwise, would end up bouncing off the walls and ceiling like a superball (remember superballs?).

The carafe is quite impressive - imagine one of those movies where there's a brawl in an American diner - Darlene, the waitress (pink nylon uniform and a badge saying 'Hi, my name is Darlene') grabs the carafe from the coffee machine and smacks the bad guy (probably played by Gary Oldman) across the back of the head with it - tinkling glass and spilt coffee everywhere. Gary shakes his head, pulls out a gun and sends Darlene to the Great Diner in the Sky.

That's not going to happen with this machine - the carafe's a great, unbreakable insulated metal thingy. If Darlene wellied you with this, you'd be watching small cartoon birds circle your head and certainly not thinking of pulling your gat and blasting our plucky heroine.

The fun part of it is that you can fill it with water and set it to leap into action at a particular time. Waking up to the sound of it grinding beans up, followed by the smell of percolating coffee is a treat that I usually reserve for weekends.

My bean of choice at the moment is Old Brown Java.

When I partake of instant coffee, then Kenco Rich is my poison.

If anybody requires any further clarification of my coffee preferences please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cheers, Jeff

Brian likes this.
  12. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

My machine of choice is an electric kettle and a jar of Aldi's DeCaff; not real coffee, you may say, but suits me, I just do not need a caffeine kick to get me going!:)

Anyway, I prefer tea.......

13. Fishboy

Each to their own - at least you're not a drinker of Camp Coffee which, as we all know, is the runny drippings from Satan's fiery bottom.

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

For instant I use Nescafé Alta Rica but my Nespresso machine gets a lot of use and prefer their stronger blends. Wrong as it may be I actually like some of the flavoured ones too. They used to do a mocha which was good and even sadder they had a special of chocomint espresso which I enjoyed. I know coffee shouldn't really be messed with too much but I'll make an exception occasionally.

I drink far too much coffee and in fact I have been cutting down. I used to have one of those Cuisinart grind and brew ones but after the initial excitement of freshly ground and brewed coffee in the morning I stopped using it and got rid. It took up half of the kitchen.

15. Fishboy

Mark my words then, never buy yourself a pet giant armadillo!

16. dream_police

I bought some of that not so long ago as us oldies at work were talking about it with the boys who have not long ago only come away from their mums breast (or so it seems anyway). It was as disgusting as I remember it.

When I had my first flat when I was 18 or so, 50p shops were the rage. We could only afford the coffee from there. Now that was foul.

17. dream_police

Bollox, was just on the way to pets at home too.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But absolutely perfect for making coffee cakes.

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

For instant, I use nothing. Some of them are vastly improved, but they still don't taste much like coffee to me.

We have a relatively cheap Russell Hobbs one that we can set the night before to make coffee in the morning. Being woken up by the sound of grinding coffee beans is better than most alarms. Instant would be harder work. ;)

20. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

My coffee of choice is Waitrose gold whatever, spoon in mug, hot water, semi-skilled milk no sugar, thanks..

Can't be doing with anything of more faff.

TheFatControlleR likes this.