1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

A quiz

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Aug 5, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Thanks. No, I have never seen a psychiatrist just my GP and a counsellor. I shall look at that. Thanks.

beatnik69 likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Any response you get from her will be meaningless. There's only one way to fix the issue and it involves money. Training more people (expense), giving them more time with patients (expense), giving them a remit to treat patients for more than 12 weeks (expense), providing more exploratory and investigative mental health services (expense). It's a crap shoot. My wife had an NHS psychiatrist ask her if she needed a second chair alongside the first chair (because she's a large lady). A psychiatrist. Someone treating a patient for mental health issues. They may have been trying to help but it was so insensitive it actually put my wife's health back months.

Every time we have to re-claim ESA or PIP the process actually makes my wife sicker.

I can feel the anger and bile rising.

Every time I read a newspaper article about 'benefits scroungers' or how we must defend ourselves from benefit fraud I want to punch something.

They're not benefits, they're essentials.

Ah well, nothing I can do to fix it.

I know a few people with mental health conditions, and none of them were diagnosed correctly first time. None. I know people who've lived with life threatening mental health conditions for years and fought for a proper diagnosis never mind treatment. It's utterly appalling.

Zou likes this.
  3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I doubt the response from your MP will help much.

What follow up are you expecting from the NHS?

I haven't checked but are there any charities that could help or ex police organisations that could help i.e. Similar to that for ex service personnel?

Catriona likes this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Guessing because it was not caused by active duty, might be a problem.

But I don't think it will be long before the world hears there is pre traumatic stress disorder too. Possibly partly due to cosseted adolescence (in comparison with older generations), many people are not ready for realities like terrorist incidents and some of them are in the emergency services that would have to deal with them.

I have heard of people having counselling about what might happen, not what has. I'm sure modern media coverage plays a role in stimulating those reactions and anticipation can be worse than the actuality.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

6. EightBitTony

Wouldn't that be a generalised anxiety disorder?

7. EightBitTony

Brains are weird. When I fell over and broke my arm and foot, my wife was in shock for 6 months. Essentially, she had considered me immortal, and the very real reminder of my mortality left her struggling mentally.

RovingMike likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

1. Ages
    2. Bull

I consider myself fortunate enough to not have had to deal with any significant mental health issues beyond stress/bullying at work (fixed relatively easily by moving on elsewhere) and so on. But as a manager, as each year passes I'm seeing more and more absence from mental health issues. Not sure whether it is just being better diagnosed and taken seriously, an indictment of modern life/wages/circumstances etc. or a bit of both. We're hopefully rolling out MH awareness courses for people managers in the near future (trial sessions this week) but it'll take some time for it to fully embed.

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I doubt the MP will give much of a response other than some bullshit but wrote to her to see. Follow up from the NHS? None as a result of my letter to my MP, but I expected an appointment sooner than this. Even a letter saying there had been a delay considering I was told it would be around 18 weeks initially.
    I am a member of NARPO and funnily enough the magazine came to day. In there they were talking about MH services due to be offered to serving officers and that in the future they are trying to get the same for retired. This was for work based issues though.
    I must say that both the PFOA (police firearms officers association) and GMP were very good at the time.

Bazarchie likes this.
  10. RovingMike

Yes but specifically triggered by traumatic events that didn't happen to you, but might. I don't read all the literature, so I don't know if anyone has described it yet as a separate condition like PTSD, but I know it is affecting otherwise very robust people. It is all the mind reacting in a basically normal way, but to extremes. Lots of things are extreme reactions, not totally unnatural ones and understanding that is often the first step. Even IBS is an exaggerated version of a natural response.

11. RovingMike

Yes my company has been running sessions for a while on managing stress etc.

Many factors I think, including well-documented effects of generation change. Gen Z is supposed to be more robust, but X and Y certainly are not (in comparison to Boomers). Hence growing awareness of snowflakes etc. Email and connectivity also mean people are always "on duty". Few can switch everything off for holidays and weekends as they did until about 20-25 years ago. That is probably the major change in the work / life environment.

12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Can’t stand the woman... I hope (but doubt) that it will be a more empathic response than her treatment of the disabled and their pips.

Zou likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's down to your gumption or lack of it. I found that if you looked like a door mat they'd walk all over you but if you demanded reasonable in return for your being reasonable that's what you got.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Easier said than done. In some companies it is a given and if you do not comply your progress is limited. I don't mind checking at weekends but I now refuse to take my work mobile and laptop on holidays.

15. Andrew Flannigan

I chose to be an independent contractor for over 30 years for that very reason. The worst that could happen was non-renewal of a contract and a couple of times that did happen. It didn't do me any harm in the long run because I had an uncommon set of skills that were in demand.

16. EightBitTony

Luckily everyone is exactly the same as you and so capable of doing exactly what you say, and everyone is exactly the same as the people you did it too, so they'll always respond the same way as well.

Oh no, I mean, actually, everyone's different and your opinion here is worthless.

Zou likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

This might well be true. Does that mean your opinion here is also worthless?

18. EightBitTony

No.

Zou likes this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

How long have you been having these delusions of grandeur and have you seen your GP about them?

20. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Who said that they are delusions? :)

MickLL

MJB likes this.