1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question of judgement

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Brian, Aug 22, 2001.

1. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

Re: Further inconsistency

OK, let's drop the autofocus discussion - I only brought it up as some kind of analogy - I don't to kick off a whole new discussion.

Unfortunately, I can't compare my D30 to your Fuji because you haven't mentioned exactly what model you have. I am at a disadvantage here.

David

2. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

David,
    I note your comments, you are probably right but as I have said before, nobody is right and nobody is wrong. At the end of the day as long as we enjoy our hobby, who gives a damm (There I've said it again)./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

I know you have a foot in both camps, traditional and digital. Me I love the simplicity of my cameras, but I am enjoying the transfer to digital printing. All I can say is may we all enjoy persuing and debating our hobby for many years to come.

Brian.

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

..and we know you have a foot (snails foot) in both lettuce patches! (darned snails get everwhere!)
    BigWill

4. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Will,

I was just congratulating all contributors to this thread for sticking to the subject.
    YOU COME BACK AND CHAOS REIGNS.

Welcome old pal, but I'm still going to have the lettuce. Got any French dressing?....Oh what have I started now?

Slimey. The Snail With the Big Mouth. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

5. David Stout

Now that BigWill is back, I don't have to post so much stuff to keep the debate going...

David

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well thank goodness for that. This has been a very circular debate with some good points, but nobody prepared to change their minds. The top and bottom of it is that everyone has to make up their own minds on what is the best quality/price/convenience option for themselves.

Nick CRIPN

7. BigWill

"Circular with good points at the top and bottom" Sounds like a description of Dolly Parton!
    BigWill

8. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea. Except, it is not just the lens mount that is different between all the manufacturers ( I think I can see a new topic here) , also TTL, Autofocus etc. So I think it would be impossible to create such a thing and I think the likes of Nikon, Canon, Pentax etal would put a stop to it.

Steve C Thompson MRIPN

9. David Stout

...and in case anybody is wondering, my last post isn't an opt-out of this discussion.

The conclusion that we might be drawing to here that it is unwise to judge digital solely on pixel count. There are extremely wide differences in quality between cameras of the same pixel count that may be attributed to many things - optics, sensor type, image processing algorithms, image compression etc.

I have always said that it is not so much the number of pixels that matter but the quality of those pixels.

David

10. phil

phil Well-Known Member

I'm preparedto change my mind soon! As David said that his D30 has a cmos chip with vastly improved resolution I think we're only a couple of generations away from film/ sensor quality being inter-changeable

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif
    <font color=purple> P<font color=blue>h<font color=green>i<font color=red>l FRIPN
    /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

David,

Yes , Mamiya, Fuji, Contax and Pentax all make auto focus medium format cameras, all in 645 format. This format, I have never considered to be the 'Professionals' choice.

Now don't all shout at me it's a lovely format.

Brian.

12. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

You're in trouble now if we have any 645 users here!

13. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

He's always in trouble. And now that Will is back. Expect more of the same ;-()

Steve C Thompson MRIPN

14. BigWill

They don't call him the "Stirring Snail" for nothing!
    BigWill

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I'm not scared of anything, especially Big Will, he is a big pussy. And you can take that anyway you want to.

Slimey, With His Sleeves Rolled Up.

16. BigWill

I call that big talk for a one footed mollusc!
    BigWill

17. mgroep

mgroep Member

Point taken, but I have to admit that I was thinking about a camara for manual focus lenses. For autofocus lenses it is more likely one can find a manufacurers own digital body (sounds odd) that fits their current range of autofocus lenses. however, for discontinued manual focus lens ranges and current manual focus lens ranges for which the manufacturers do not intend to produce a digital cameara body, surely a market for such a generic fit camera would exist without the manufacurers having too many objections? Off course the different available mounts would have to have the necessary connections for TTL exposure metering, aperture setting transfer, etc, but I don't think that should be a problem as on most cameras these connection form part of the mount or are very closely situated to the mount. Most of the older cameras that fit the older lens ranges had no TTL flash metering, but with the introduction of a CCD sensor in the back (the one that captures the image, no less) surely TTL flash (if that is what you were referring to) on such a universal body would be a peach to introduce. It would no longer require a sensor in the side of mirror chamber that reads reflected light off the film plane surely. Which brings me to another question: how is TTL flash metering actually done on current digital cameras? By the CCD sensor itself?

Mark

18. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

But I thought you only had one foot Will?

Slimey, The Little Snail.

19. BigWill

Ere Slimey, with all this talk of CCD's and CMOS's and stuff, have you actually got any idea what the hell they are all talking about? I know I aint! I vote we leave them to it and slope off down the pup for a swift one.
    BigWill

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

As an M645 user, I would agree, it's more an "amateur toying with MF" format. Very nice, cheaper to run but not in the same league as 6x7 or as flexible as 6x6.

Nick CRIPN