1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for the AP bicyclists

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And if you have three rows of cyclists two abreast you'll get past them a fair bit quicker than if all 6 were in a long line. Riding side by side makes it quicker to pass them.

beatnik69 likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is indeed the case.

Generally a group riding together will call that a car is behind and split to single file if that opens overtaking opportunities for the car. There is no intent to hold anyone up but if the road doesn’t, because of bend or whatever, allow safe overtaking at all it is better to ride double until the road is clear. If its busy then the single file will open up a gap(s) so that a car can make the overtake in steps.

I tend to see three types of driver, sensible ones who overtake safely, idiots who go into bends on the wrong side of the road and nervous drivers who don’t take passing opportunities when they present themselves. I’d say as a rule and as a touring club rather than road club we do minimal distance on A roads, deprecate B roads and do most mileage on minor roads with only farm and local traffic plus the ubiquitous delivery vans. Plus we ride outside peak hours.

beatnik69 and Zou like this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't know what to make of that. A peloton of 10-20 road bikes travelling at around 30mph (We get them faster than that on the hill out of Keyworth towards Bradmore) do not seem to be in control. We seem to be on some sort of popular route. Towards the end of the hill there is a 'squiggly' bit. I am pretty sure that if they met a combine coming the other way in the wrong place then there would be deaths. Some of the machinery using the road is wider than half the road. Cyclists ride closely together and occupy more than half the road.
    Zou, I am not writing about a single cyclist who will find a gap. I am writing about a group of cyclists travelling on a winding B road on the limit of control.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Same applies to cyclists as to cars. Should be able to stop. Shouldn’t be riding in groups that big. A group, to my mind, should be about 6, at most 8. I’m not a trained leader but I would think that both British Cycling and Cycling UK would have limits on group size for ride leader insurance purposes.

Zou likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

*Should* is doing a lot of work in that situation.

Learning likes this.
  6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

It’s a pity we cannot share our highways. Same for bridleways. There is no consideration for others.

I would like to get a bike but I consider our local roads too dangerous so I would have to travel by car to use it.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Ditto. Only one road in and out of the village and to get anywhere requires a mile on one of the deadliest stretches of A-road in the county. No thanks.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

There are a couple of roads I'd like to see closed to through traffic near me as they are far nicer to walk or cycle than to drive on. Single track roads with passing places are too complicated for many when it is a shortcut and another road has a sketchy junction that can't easily be made compliant with current design standards.....just close them and make driving more of a PITA. When temporary light make it quicker to walk more folk walk (or cycle:D).

beatnik69 and Zou like this.
  9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Having done some reading on the subject, I figured I would go for an EU L1e-A classification bike as being the most appropriate for my planned use - motor up to 1,000 watts and maximum speed of 45kmph, registered and driven on a moped licence.* The problem is I can find very little information about what is available, as everybody seems to go for the 250 watt no-licence option. I have sort of settled on Bosch electrics and probably in-hub gears as I still want to be able to pedal, and have pedal assistance. Can anybody throw a few names at me of companies likely to build such a machine in Europe? The US has lots but shipping would be prohibitive.

* I passed my motorcycle test on my 16th birthday on a Triumph Tiger Cub, which rather surprised the examiner when he noticed while was writing out the pass certificate. I then had to take another test in Cyprus, because although I could carry my car licence over to a Cypriot licence, they wouldn't do so with my motorcycle and tracked vehicle licences. I took this test on a 1,000cc BMW K series, which rather surprised that examiner! :)

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not a segment I'm familiar with and I suspect few here are. But if I was looking I'd start with French or Italian companies as they've been markets for those pedally mopeds for decades.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Alibaba?

12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Alibaba is mainly used by people to buy their stock which is then sold through eBay and Amazon. Quite often you are dealing with the manufacturer or an export company. Some do sell single items, but the downside might be then having to contend with the Uk's Customs and Excise department?

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

He's in Cyprus.

14. SqueamishOssifrage

...where it's even worse! 69% import duty plus 19% VAT for importing Chinese e-bikes into the EU.

15. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Is anything reasonably priced in Cyprus? I seem to remember you saying that power costs are very high.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yowza! :eek:

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

They don't seem to be familiar with it on FB either.

Getting parts to build one looks easy enough but finding pre-built ones not so much. Perhaps a VPN and searching while pretending to be in a country they are popular in might yield different results?

18. SqueamishOssifrage

Yes - food and booze! The figures I quoted, however, are EU numbers, so beyond Cyprus' control. As far as electricity is concerned, we have the highest prices in Europe, as the local company is government owned and exceedingly inefficient. The EU have been pressuring the government for nearly ten years to open up the power sector (gas is equally scandalously priced) but the powers that be, the EAC, and the unions are screaming 'No fair - we like our gravy train'.

Bazarchie likes this.
  19. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Here's something to cheer up you cyclists!
    P4280002-W.jpg

Of course, I'm referring to the bike ... ;)

P4280005-W.jpg

Must be pretty interesting avoiding the potholes though!

Zou and daft_biker like this.
  20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I want one :oops:.

Zou likes this.