1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for the AP bicyclists

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Jul 23, 2021.

1. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Mine is a Volt Pulse X bought in 2017. The spokes on the rear wheel started to ping they were quite thin but the shop I bought it from replaced them without charge. It might be at the time they were relatively new and not quite up to production values. Hopefully now they are, my bike is still going strong and the chain is unchanged. Though it has to be said I was stopped by a team of people checking the bike and offering advice on security and theft prevention. They checked the chain and said it should be looked at. At that time I might have travelled 5000 or more miles so probably to be expected.

The fastest I can reliably say I've got was 26 mph going down hill and I can say I had no issues with stability. One time the odometer said I got to 33mph but I think it may have been set to kilometres. As much as I have tried to see if I could do it again London roads don't allow it.

Choosing a bike is hard to do even though most stores allow you to try a bike out. It's impossible to try it under all road conditions and make an informed decision. I don't know what toe overlap means ( google it Frank ) but I still have all of mine. Yeah I would agree possibly over priced but I think it can be said of a lot of makes. If I was to buy a new bike I would use £2000 as an average for a good bike. According to the shop I bought mine from they said there wasn't a great profit for them. They would say that wouldn't they. I am at 6800 miles now and hopefully with the increased traffic on the roads since covid " it's really bad " I will get a good few more miles out of the bugger yet.

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I spent 4yrs commuting to work 5 days a week come rain, shine, snow and fog on a 2nd hand bike I got for £70
    It had never been used, a Halfords Carrera cyclo cross. I added full mudguards and rear rack to hold my waterproofs.

For 4yrs I huffed and puffed. My bike was stored behind my work area. Never had a issue.
    I got ot a txt from a work colleague that another employee had decided to commute by bike, arrived at work knackered and left his bike leaning against a wall in a walkway area. A member of staff not looking walked straight into the pedals and sustained a deep gash on her shin. Result…Blanket ban on ALL bikes allowed inside. In future all bikes had to be stored in outside bike pen. This was October last year, my bike has not been touched since as I now walk to work. The walking is far less stressful than cycling. I’ve no intention of climbing back on the saddle.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Why so stressful? Traffic I assume.

4. pixelpuffin

Yes, 3 times I’ve had my elbow knocked by passing door mirrors, one almost sent me under the wheels of the skip wagon behind (terrifying) this is me cycling right up to the kerb edge with Hi-Vis and rear flashing lights on. Lorries don’t give a damn. I now see cyclists as I walk home and realise just how fragile they are as tons of steel whizz past within inches sometimes and yet the drivers are often clearly not paying attention.
    A few cyclists in my area have been knocked over and killed doing their daily commute in the past few years.
    I used to find walking slow and boring, but now I enjoy it, it helps me unwind before I arrive home. Plus no maintenance or fear of punctures.

Win Win

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Traffic is horrible. Riding at the kerb edge is incredibly dangerous. It encourages close passing (because cars think they can get past) and you have nowhere to go if they come too close or touch you. Also, if there is anything in the gutter (hole, rubbish, glass, drain) you can only avoid it by swerving out. A car driver needs a predictable hazard not a weaving one. It is important to “own your space”; ride about 3’ out from the real edge, just inside where they would mark a cycle lane. A car then has to pull out to pass you and it should do so with good (1.5 m) clearance. The highway code was being amended to make riding position and passing distances clear, also to reinforce rights of way e.g when car overtakes and then turns immediately left across a cyclist that is forbidden.

Zou likes this.
  6. pixelpuffin

Morning Pete
    I’ve seen with my own eyes how aggravated drivers get with cyclists who ride wide out. To be fair to drivers they do pay road tax and some cyclists are complete arseholes - especially the silly geriatrics that insist riding on twisty country roads at weekends as if they own the bloody thing.

7. PeteRob

If you use the road obey the highway code. A cyclist has the same road rights as a motorist. Twisty country roads aren’t intended to be a race track for impatient motorists.

beatnik69 likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Replace highway code with "all relevant legislation" in your statement and make sure drivers actually know the legislation which is more important than the guidelines in the HC. ;)

beatnik69 likes this.
  9. PeteRob

Yes, indeed. I was taking that as read! Last Tuesday some of us nearly got taken out by a van jumping a red light. Very close call.

10. pixelpuffin

Modern cars with modern brakes, tyres and suspension can easily navigate twisty country roads at the speed limits set down by law. But it’s no fun going round a bend at legal speeds and seeing a pair of cyclists either wide out or riding 2 abreast. Personally I have no time for these types, yes commuters are using bikes to get to work whereas these weekend cyclists seem to think they have the right to slow down all traffic for their own enjoyment. I view them as selfish arrogant boomers frankly.
    Maybe on this topic we should agree to disagree?

11. PeteRob

Disagree certainly. It’s the horse riders I feel sorry for.

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You should be driving to conditions rather the legal maximum speed. If you cannot see what is around the bend, then slow down, it may just be a bloody big tractor and loaded trailer. Then see who wins.

S

DaveM399 and Learning like this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A group of cyclists riding like a race peloton meeting agricultural machinery on a blind corner might also come to grief.

14. steveandthedogs

True.

S

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes, the stopping distance of a 8kg bicycle with a 70kg rider at 25mph means disaster is inevitable.

beatnik69 and daft_biker like this.
  16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Country roads have not been widened to compensate for cars which have become wider, so cyclists are even more likely to get clobbered. Yes, people should drive based on the road conditions rather than the speed limit, but again, vehicle tyres have become a lot more 'adhesive' leading to drivers thinking that they don't need to drive as cautiously as they might have done in the past.

If you think that tyre tech hasn't evolved that much, those of you who used to ride motorcycles decades ago, may well remember hearing or experiencing the 'delights' using Barum tyres!

17. steveandthedogs

One of the motorcycle greats, possibly Mike Hailwood, was asked years ago what was the greatest advance in motorcycling. The reply was "Tyres."

S

Zou likes this.
  18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Even as a non-biker, I can see why. Imagine trying to get one knee down on 1930s tyres, and see which tree you end up wrapped round.

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

To an extent I do too but at the same time the amount of resources that go into keeping horses is disgraceful in this day and age. Fields for food are bad enough. Events appear to be an opportunity to flash the cash with conspicuous consumption.

They also chew up paths and leave crap I have to stop dogs eating. (And before anyone says it's just grass it isn't always....medicine comes out too and dogs have been killed by it.)

20. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Cyclists will ride 2 abreast to discourage drivers from passing too closely. Drivers should move right into the next lane to overtake, as if they are overtaking another car. Cyclists don't go out to slow down traffic. They have as much (or more) right to be on the roads as drivers. There are plenty of "Sunday drivers" out pootling along at the weekend too.
    They don't pay Road Tax - they pay VED which is emissions based. Not all cars attract VED. Even if cyclists were to pay road tax, based on the current system they would pay £0.

DaveM399 and Zou like this.