1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A place to share quarantine photos

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Dan S, Mar 24, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

As becky is home from uni, she hasn't had access to her studio space, so our dining table is now a studio. Here she is making a silicone mask from a cast of her head. One half has daisies embedded in and the other half of it has her hand growing out of it. She needs this today for a green screen video shoot that has to be in for Monday. Art students!

[​IMG]Becky mask by Nigel G, on Flickr

Dan S and Catriona like this.
  2. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Trying focus stacking for the first time.
    What do you think?
    MickLL

email1.jpg

3. dream_police

I think it looks very good. Not that I know much about those things!

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The end result looks very nice, I don't know how much the stacking added to getting the depth of field. I guess you tried to "get it in one" as well?

5. dream_police

And now our Airbnb is the studio. Here she is wearing the mask prior to videoing. This video is about her work, how it progresses, the why's etc. That is why the mask still has rough edges on it's left hand side. A finished piece would be trimmed down.

[​IMG]beckymask by Nigel G, on Flickr

Geren, Dan S and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Had a wander round the back of the shed.

ap something nasty in the woodpile.jpg

and on the other side, my arty wall reflects the heat onto my plum tree - at last showing leaf (but no blossom).

ap plum tree.jpg

Geren and Dan S like this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am impressed. Not only with the stacking but also the way that this is lit. Did you have to repair any artefacts of the stacking process?
    Also may I ask whether you changed focus by adjusting just the lens, or racking the whole camera lens combination on a slide?

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Seen on my morning walk...
    30887cess.jpg
    A nice clean bench next to the bus stop.
    Clean because it's rarely used. Because it is surrounded by nettles...

Dan S and Catriona like this.
  9. PeteRob

Nettles are shooting up, they like this weather. I’ve got a leg covered in stings from when I pulled the bike over to let a tractor + slurry wagon pass this afternoon.

Dan S likes this.
  10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Ouch!

I've got a tube of Aqueous Calamine Cream here - I suppose I could scan it and send it to you over this here internet thingy... o_O

AndyTake2 likes this.
  11. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

wow!

12. PeteRob

No need, it’s the thought that counts!

SXH likes this.
  13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I don't see any missing bits of focus between layers and it seems to have handled the fine detail well.

Be more ambitious:)

14. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Thanks.

I did it because I had long promised myself to learn how to do it and never found the time before this lockdown.

All done in my shed. Lighting was natural through a window (almost backlight) with a white card as a reflector.
    I racked the whole camera on a focussing rail (inherited from a lovely lady who passed away a while back)
    There's (apparently) a discussion about the 'correct' aperture to use ( I used f8 because it's a good aperture for this lens). As I find more time I'll try again with different apertures and different number of images in the stack (this was about a dozen).
    My camera is a Nikon and that allows me 'live view' on the rear screen so no risk of knocking the camera. I t also has the extra advantage of the mirror being locked up so no mirror slap.
    Obviously on a very sturdy tripod.
    All the layer alignment and actual stacking done in P'Shop.

MickLl

15. Learning

Thanks for the information about the racking and number of images.
    I realised that you had used a D800 with the Micro-Nikkor105mm ff2.8 lens at f8 and processed the images in PS CS6(Windows).

16. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Now educate me please.
    How did you find out the camera and lens?

I tried copying and pasting the image back into P'Shop and I can see the CS6/Windows data but no reference anywhere to the camera/lens combination.
    It's not a secret and I'm not complaining but I'm intrigued to know how you see something that I can't.

MickLL

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

This is not something you expect to see during lockdawn, especially after all the panic buying that went on...
    [​IMG]
    Loo-roll in the road
    by SteveH, on Flickr

Possibly escaped from the building site behind me as I took it...

18. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Here's another.
    This time a stack of 37 images at f3.2.
    Can anyone see any difference (in focus/sharpness) between this and my first. Please don't crit the exposure - that's down to me being sloppy. I didn't use the correct exposure compensation and didn't carefully check from last time so there's a bit of burn out. Sorry. Couldn't be bothered to do it all again!
    My first impression is that it's not worth the pain of 37 images as compared with a dozen. Anyone disagree?

I have one more comment that I'll keep to myself until I see any comments from you.

MickLL

blend crop web.jpg

Dan S likes this.
  19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Looks like you might have run into the issue of overlapping objects obscuring each other....eg. the green leaves on the right below the flowers.

As parts of the image move closer and further out of focus as you move through the stack they get bigger and obscure what is behind. Those areas might need painted in with a best guess.

20. Learning

I used the windows build of exif tool. I have a link on my desktop that runs the program with the -k option. Dragging the image from the forum on to the link does not work. First drag a copy of the image onto the desktop then drag that onto the program. I have deleted my desktop copy of the image. Incidently you have not set up the copy write information on the camera.