1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A place to share quarantine photos

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Dan S, Mar 24, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Anyway, back to pictures. I walk past this every day on my morning exercise walk (to the newsagent) and only noticed it recently - well it is early in the morning.
    40062ces.jpg
    I assumed it was a Victorian(?) lamp-post, but looking at the top makes me wonder.
    40061ces.jpg
    Anyone got any ideas - Google image search not been helpful.

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

gas pipe (for releasing methane from underground)??

SXH and Catriona like this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Looks like an old raised sewer vent.

Come to think of it I can’t recall seeing one for a while but they should be fairly common. Usually an oblong galvanised cover on a pipe about 12” above ground, placed where they can’t be easily tripped over.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

From what Andy said, and a spot of Googling, it looks most like a stinkpipe or stenchpipe - used to vent excess gas from sewers. Though the bottom half is a bit plain compared with most of the illustrations I've seen.

5. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I think they are vents to prevent siphonage.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I suspect (but could be wrong) that this is something along the same lines, though more modern and only about 18" high...
    40071cess.jpg

7. PeteRob

Yes I think so, though the clay pipe is usually below ground and the bit above ground is done in metal as the clay pipe is a bit vulnerable to breakage. They should be common but I don't recall seeing one for ages. It could be that modern housing density is so high that the domestic stacks together provide enough ventilation for the sewers, or that modern sewers are laid with some kind of internal venting mechanism. The need is to prevent over-pressure ahead of a sudden flow down the sewer by allowing it to "breathe" as the water level changes. We had one in our front garden where I grew up, and there was one in the back garden of the house I rented when I was in Uni.

SXH likes this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

As I am spending a lot of time at home still, I love looking out onto the garden watching the birds and the blasted squirrels. I am not a twitcher, I struggle to properly ID birds. I know we have tits, finches, woodpeckers, robins etc, but what models of each brand i'm not sure.

This morning I think I had the entire population of Jackdaws in my garden. Very twitchy things, so everytime they saw me looking out through the window they flew off. I managed to get a couple of them though who were brave enough to return. I was sat still in a chair partially hidden from view. Even a slight movement spooked them.

[​IMG]jackdaw by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]looking at me? by Nigel G, on Flickr

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Dan S, AndyTake2, MJB and 2 others like this.
  11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

And the little fox through a pinhole:

[​IMG]fox by Steve Ashton, on Flickr

S

Catriona likes this.
  12. Stellasten

Stellasten New Member

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Network Rail are also, it seems, taking advantage of lockdown and the reduced rail timetable to work on the lines...
    [​IMG]
    Multipurpose Stoneblowers
    by SteveH, on Flickr

Two of the three NR have (they apparently have a further seven on order) parked in Staines Station, blocking the lines in both directions. Developed by them with Harsco Rail, they can handle points and crossings as well as plain rails.

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Pine tree on the road above Puncknowle, shot as I was walking back down from the Knoll.

Pine above Puncknowle red.jpg
    Not quite ABLT since there's a road in the photo.

Catriona and Dan S like this.
  15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The Knoll above Puncknowle
    IMG_20200712_181724.jpg

The Jurassic coast
    IMG_20200712_181852.jpg

Dan S and Catriona like this.
  16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Seen on my early morning walk to the shops...
    [​IMG]One glass? by SteveH, on Flickr

The fact that arrangement has been there for three days so far suggests it might be an art installation*. Anyone with an art-school education want to have a go at some pseudo-socio-political explanation?

* though lazy housekeeping is probably more likely. :rolleyes:

17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

No problem at all!

Ever since I was a pre-adolescent I have been fascinated by the theoretical limits of relationships. What starts out as hope soon becomes corroded into a manifesto of greed, leaving only a sense of chaos and the prospect of a new understanding.

As intermittent forms become reconfigured through boundaried and academic practice, the viewer is left with a testament to the limits of our condition.

(Courtesy of artybollocks)

PS I would have taken that shot too, so I forgot to say - I like it!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    dream_police, EightBitTony and SXH like this.
  18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, I understood the individual words, but... o_O

;)

Catriona likes this.
  19. PeteRob

You did ask

SXH likes this.
  20. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I understand where @Catriona is coming from but personally.

This work explores the relationship between acquired synesthesia and emotional memories. With influences as diverse as Kierkegaard and Frida Kahlo, new variations are crafted from both simple and complex textures.

Ever since I was a teenager I have been fascinated by the theoretical limits of the zeitgeist. What starts out as hope soon becomes finessed into a cacophony of power, leaving only a sense of chaos and the possibility of a new synthesis.

As shimmering phenomena become reconfigured through frantic and diverse practice, the viewer is left with an insight into the outposts of our world.​

dream_police and Catriona like this.